What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

most grower friendly city in maine please

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
whats the place to move to to do what we all love to do ?
im tired of the stress and panic of being in the dirty dirty.
id like to start a dialouge about maine and anything related to canna.
i have no clue where to start . all help is appreciated

Mr Blah

I'm in Central Me and is a great place to grow.
The more North you go is very rural and might not have any neighbors but wont have as many options for pt's either.
Southern Me is the place where all the happening is going on with potential clients. Hard to find a commercial location, what I have heard.
Also a lot of towns are death set on not bring any thing to do with weed to there towns so do your research on which town is wanting it before you make the move. Seems that the towns don't mind the 5 patient thing but do not like the fifth rotating card, when there could be a line of people coming and going from your house.

KONY

Veteran
Only really bad towns are the overly pretentious ones (camden, yarmouth, wiscassett, belgrade, etc), and those are few and far between. Even then I would still live in Yarmouth or Belgrade if I could afford it. Camden and Wiscassett summer traffic is too much, even though its only a few months a year.

Some towns did impose the cannabis moratorium, however as far as I know that is just for retail/commercial stores, I dont think any towns have banned outdoor growing yet.

I would suggest visiting Maine if you have never been here before, and checking out Southern, Central and maybe Northern if you really wana live off the land and get away from people. It's a completely different feel in each part of the state. I digg the central part.... the Southern part feels like an extension of the greater Boston area sometimes.

I havent been in the northern part really at all. Hopefully this summer changes that.

Buddle

Veteran
Maine has a lot of growers and a surplus of weed. It also is a poor state. Don't expect to go up there and be able to flip oz's for 250 each. etc. Especially now that anyone over 21 can legally grow six plants.
If you want to grow for yourself , in peace, don't mind the cold, and don't need a job paying more than 9/hr to survive. It's awesome. :) This post is not meant to discourage. It is just my opinion and experience. I'm about two and a half hours north of Portland. good luck to you.

Buddle . Same ol story all across the country. Seems like the only way to get ahead is to be in an ILLegal state about 6 years before legalization. And, gamble.

I know it is low-density of people, esp W and N Of Bangor. Amd zero work, for the most part - like Norcal, and Northern MI. But, is it really that bad, or are you in a rut (like I am in MI)...?

Real estate is not cheap in Downeast Maine. Old Money definitely lives there.

~star~crash~

it's like buddle say's...i know commercial growers in maine & they all want to bring their produce to new york where they potentially get better $...even with connections and top quality it ain't easy

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Oh, Wiscasset isn't that bad, you know I was just living there and was never messed with. Even having out of state plates on a MI hoopty. Always felt that oxford county was usually the most welcoming to growers, and of course Portland has for the most part embraced the scene. Really depends on what type of environment your looking for. Do you enjoy the city, coast, mountains, or forest the most. Take your pick, and let that guide you.

BlackBart

Veteran
You can go just about anyplace in Maine and grow and not be hassled . The POPO is primarily more interested in the opioide abuse more then anything .
But as Buddle has mentioned the market is tough with such a small population and everyone and his brother growing .

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Bangor? :biggrin:

evilclownsm.gif

Mr Blah

Is there a big issue there in Maine with black market grows selling their stuff out-of-state
IMHO like any other state, black market will be there no matter what. Amounts will fluctuate like other states but as soon as every Tom Dick and Harry finds out that it aint as easy to grow good herb...black market would/will pick up.

To answer your question. It's there.

coldcanna

Veteran
If you do move to Maine I would suggest staying in the southern portion. I moved to central Maine about 5 years ago and like mentioned above, the economy is one of the worst in the country, as well as the weather. The access to serenity and outdoor activity is there don't get me wrong, but when the reality of long drives to find work or groceries and the lack of much cultural enjoyment ( night clubs, music, food) and also that the best jobs here cap out at like $20 an hour and the average is $10... I'd stay south or stay away

p0opstlnksal0t

I was able to transfer my mechanical engineering job to lawrence mass. We ended up buying in Berwick/eliot area. I was also able to swing 4x 10's at work so I won't be driving home Fridays up 95 north when the vacationers flock up. We like it so far. We've noticeD the power goes out quite a bit due to "maintenence" lol. Got a 22kw generac ready to be installed.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
If you do move to Maine I would suggest staying in the southern portion. I moved to central Maine about 5 years ago and like mentioned above, the economy is one of the worst in the country, as well as the weather. The access to serenity and outdoor activity is there don't get me wrong, but when the reality of long drives to find work or groceries and the lack of much cultural enjoyment ( night clubs, music, food) and also that the best jobs here cap out at like $20 an hour and the average is $10... I'd stay south or stay away

Being even further from the action, I agree completely. I am actively talking to people for opp'ty's in the SE of the State.
(Almost) All it took was a good surf session at Higgins to make me reconsider my location.

For those that enjoy more quiet though, Mid-Coast and Downeast are very cool.. People are super friendly.

The drives to Trader Joe;s are a killer though.

HWY36

Buddle . Same ol story all across the country. Seems like the only way to get ahead is to be in an ILLegal state about 6 years before legalization. And, gamble.

I know it is low-density of people, esp W and N Of Bangor. Amd zero work, for the most part - like Norcal, and Northern MI. But, is it really that bad, or are you in a rut (like I am in MI)...?

Real estate is not cheap in Downeast Maine. Old Money definitely lives there.

Same ol story across the country is right. The supply is surpassing the demand. I live in Nor Cal and this is the first year prices haven't shot up in September. People scrambling to get rid of last years shit still. It's been a fun ride.

Love Maine, the more northeast the better. It's hard to move here and make it, even if you've been here 20 years if you moved here your from "away". Not much of an economic opportunity left in legal growing.

Latest posts

Latest posts