What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Should I trash this grow?

mtbazz

Or part of it anyway...

4 plants in the 3rd week of flower..one is infested with these tiny white bugs, no idea what they are but they are all over the leaves, and examination with a loupe reveals what look like eggs on the leaf surface.

What exactly are my options? No pest strips? Neem oil?

It's budding, but there are so many Im afraid I'll end up with smoke that is full of these fuckers.

so far, it looks like only the one has issues with these..

Edit: one of the other ones has them, but not quite as bad. fuck...

G

ganjygav

I used to use a stuff called mighty wash. It's been banned in the UK because it kills a rare species of house spider apparently. I managed to get a litre yesterday, under the counter job.
It's harmless to plants in flower also. Really effective against thrips and mites. I don't know if you can get your hands on some where you are.
I've also just purchased some predator mites I'm waiting on delivery.
It would help if we knew what sort of bug you're dealing with. Are they easy to see with the eyes little white fat things? If so it's aphids.
I use neem but you will need to spray everyday for about 10 days. Which should be fine as long as you stop spraying by the 5th week of flower.
Lots of options fella. Make sure your plants ain't touching either because that's how non flying pests get from one plant to another.

mtbazz

I used to use a stuff called mighty wash. It's been banned in the UK because it kills a rare species of house spider apparently. I managed to get a litre yesterday, under the counter job.
It's harmless to plants in flower also. Really effective against thrips and mites. I don't know if you can get your hands on some where you are.
I've also just purchased some predator mites I'm waiting on delivery.
It would help if we knew what sort of bug you're dealing with. Are they easy to see with the eyes little white fat things? If so it's aphids.
I use neem but you will need to spray everyday for about 10 days. Which should be fine as long as you stop spraying by the 5th week of flower.
Lots of options fella. Make sure your plants ain't touching either because that's how non flying pests get from one plant to another.

Without the aid of magnification, they look like white dots on the leaves.

With magnification, they are wingless, white bugs. Sorry, thats the best i've got. If someone can point me to pictures of similar sounding bugs I can try to pick one out of a lineup.

spraying the leaves every day just isn't going to happen due to time/schedule constraints.

The one plant is infested really bad. I might just pull that one...I don't want to smoke, or give others weed to smoke that is infested with dead bugs..

sigh...havent had any issues for years either

G

ganjygav

picture.php
Ya sounds like aphids to me dude

G

ganjygav

With that mite wash you spray once then wait 3 days and spray again and that will do the job. Neem doesn't sound suitable for you then.
Think about predators Google them there's sites that sell them. You release them and sit back and wait

I had those early this year, they were present along with spidermites.

The white eggs are spidermite eggs. I don't know what the white bugs are.

I sprayed with a spray that had Tau-Fluvalinate and Miclobutanil in it; got rid of them.

G

ganjygav

thats what they look like...

not even sure where they came from...i had some clones come into my grow that had sat outside, I'm wondering if I picked them up from there.

Is this the stuff you guys are recommending?

View Image

That's the stuff. I only found out about it earlier this year but then it got UK banned lol. My mate loves the stuff and swears by it. I used it on some mites at beginning of year and 2 sprays and the bugs had gone.

M

meowmeowmeow

100% burn it all and start from seed. IMHO don't waste your money on any wash.

Washing them in Veg is one thing, but in Flower no bueno senor.
I have finished plants with mites also in flower and it was a major disappointment due to the depletion of the plant.

I'm sure the vast majority of the farmers on here have encountered mites.

I had to torch some shit (HSO - CMOG (OOKB leaner) that killed me & Blimburn - Orka) before splitting from FL due to this issue from another garden.

A good rule of thumb is to never transplant anything from someone else's garden or store.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cannabis. :joint:

EastCoast710

depends on how far into flower.. take some pics.. if you have barely any nug formation.. u can spray. for a few times.. just just literally might have to bring them into the shower to rinse that nasty shit off after u get rid of most of those bugs..

I have yet.. knock on wood.. had to toss an entire run.. but then again.. I always keep.. spinsosad and a few other things around for veg.. I know I might of just introduced a few critters taking in a underdawg cut.. but if naything it might be gnats or thrips.. both which I can get rid of no problem without affecting my plants.

Slipnot

never burn anything to the ground take this as a learning experience and combat them ..
3 weeks is nothing
what i would do is go get bug B gone make a big batch and put some in sprayers, make sure you have it in a big tub big enough to dunk complete plant. i used 45 gallon drum

Now use string or what ever to tie plant up a bit to make sure you do not break off any branches grab one plant and tip it upside down holding plant between your fingers and palm on soil dip it moving it up and down for 2 - 3 mins right up to the soil litterally your hand

Carefully stand it back up and place it in another room
Take sprayer spray top soil sides of pots and bottom of pots
repeat till all plants are out of room ..

then start taking your room apart start with lights mean time using chlorine to wash it
wash walls, ceilings fans , floors everything once done use that sprayer and spray room down everywhere with bug b gone
Vent out room replace lights and plants
Save the barrel of solution and repeat 4 days later probelm solved

Please note allow ample amount of time for plants to dry up so you do not burn plants when lights come back on

Skip

Veteran
I use these! Ain't they cute? Every plant that gets one has no bugs.

Of course, it's mother nature who supplies them outdoors...

7309.jpg

I also get these. I once got to watch a hundred hatch at once and devour each other...

23475_original.jpg

I prefer natural remedies when possible.
If you grow outside and always treat the plants with chemicals, you also prevent mother nature from dealing with the bugs.

The natural predators never get established in your garden.

I even watched while my neighbor killed a whole batch of established predators with chemicals, mistaking them for pests (no matter what I said...).

M

meowmeowmeow

Ladybugs I've done too.
Cute, but stupid as hell and fly everywhere....properly prep for them if you get them.

Mtbazz my advice really is to not spend your hard earned money to rectify something that may be fixable at this point. AKA Mighty wash is garbage......I hope some are happy I said it now.
Yes I tried it and it failed big time after numerous baths and cleaning my whole set up.

In the end you're searching for suggestions and YOU will be the person who determines what you do. :biggrin:

BigFoote

I know you don't want to hear this but you need to just start over. This is the thing, you have to spray your buds with stuff you dont want to inhale to kill them, its gonna be poison or something that makes your weed taste like shit.

Even if your are successful in getting rid of the pests, you'll have dead bugs, their shit and larva all up in your buds on top of what you used to kill them.

Never go into flower with pests, its not worth the investment in time.

mtbazz

Starting from seed isn't really an option as these are difficult to get clones..I have the mothers in a separate area. that area doesn't seem to be as infested, as a matter of fact there is only one or two plants down there that show any signs if these.

Im pulling the the worst of the infected plants in flower, and keeping close watch on the rest.

Hard to get predatory bugs here to take care of these as it's getting cold out and they'd die in shipping, and the grow store is not convenient to get to.

Also, these are in a tent...should take out any unaffected plants, and fumigate the tent with a bug bomb ?

ForTheLove

Veteran
Its been said already but, it is you & only you who can & will decide on what path you'll take to solve this lil problem.

If your a grower this is just one of the few problems that can & will happen during your grow career. We've all had something go wrong with the grow at some time. Just make for a better grower when these problems are fixed.

Ps. they look like aphids so not the biggest problem!

Imho removed the worst infected treat the remaining plants. If you can take them out the space & use bug bombs then do it!
Also stay on top of your mother plants - prevention before cure & all that!

Im sure you'll be fine in the end & see it all as a learning curve.
All the best mtbazz
PLR&£

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
if it's just aphids you can get rid of them easily with a tea made of hot peppers and garlic with a little soap and oil to emulsify and help spread the mix.

if they are big enough to be seen with your naked eye and look like the pic someone posted above. then yeah most likely aphids and very easy to be rid of with shit you probably already have in your house. the leaves with the most bugs on em just pluck em off. spray down everything else. top down. if you are early in flower just blast em with a hose set to fine mist/spray first, then treat with the soap/oil/garlic/pepper spray.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
if it's just aphids you can get rid of them easily with a tea made of hot peppers and garlic with a little soap and oil to emulsify and help spread the mix.

if they are big enough to be seen with your naked eye and look like the pic someone posted above. then yeah most likely aphids and very easy to be rid of with shit you probably already have in your house. the leaves with the most bugs on em just pluck em off. spray down everything else. top down. if you are early in flower just blast em with a hose set to fine mist/spray first, then treat with the soap/oil/garlic/pepper spray.

View Image

View Image

View Image

I have never seen bugs that big before. I had russet mites, thrips, and broad mites, and they were hard to see with microscope. The broad mites are the worst. Should be able to use something organic to get rid of whatever that is.

Latest posts

Latest posts