What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Powdery Mildew questions?

Hello Everyone,

After years of working hard to maintain a healthy environment for my Girls I have finally observed PM for the first time.

I work hard to maintain proper RH and airflow and have never before even seen PM other than in pictures...

I had a water leak in the loft above my flower space. Water came through a crack in the floor and filled an LED light before spilling over onto my girls that are in flower. An area of the canopy about 2 feet square got wet.

I fixed the leak, threw away the light :( and mopped the floor.

As I have good fans and dehumidifier I did not give it another thought. Yesterday I was tending the garden and found PM on numerous leaves in the area that had gotten wet.

I gently removed as many affected leaves as I could find. I fear it may have affected flowers as well but cannot tell. I sprayed the area with a 50/50 milk and water. I then shook the plants to knock any large drops off and set an additional fan blowing on that spot.

Today I looked close and found a few more leaves affected. I suspect that they are ones I missed yesterday.

I now have RH running 40-50%.

I am REALLY concerned that I have to go out of town for several days and will be unable to attend to my Girls.

Given that conditions overall are not conducive to PM in my flower room I wonder how likely the PM is to continue to be a problem?

Once it shows will it continue to progress even though I have corrected the environmental issue that allowed it to start? (water leak)

Or, now that the plants are dry and RH is well controlled will it stop?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

FJ.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Once it's there is there. Sorry to be a bummer about it but treat the plants and area NOW.
You need to be aggressive with it. You can treat it with "organic" means and products to keep it at bay but if you aren't there you can't control it should it pop up while gone.
You can use a product called ProKure D. It forms a gas that kills the pm then breaks down into a harmless salt. I'm not a spokesman or benefit from the company in any way. It won't hurt your plants. If in veg, and I know many purist hate the idea of it, and I'll probably catch shit for it, but Eagle 20 is about the main thing that will kill it ON THE SURFACE of the plant. There are other products that will do the same.Take that for what it's worth. If it's inside the plant it's there and all you can do is control it.
Some say Green Cure works, personally it think it's a waste of time, money, and effort. I've seen it not do the job it claims to after a few days of being used. Some organic methods will work for a while but you'll need to stay on top of it. Listerine and water worked better in my case than anything else I used but I don't remember the ratio's.
The spores travel easily with air flow/movement and will take over. So it's very possible what you saw today wasn't there yesterday. The shit has a way of taking over quickly if not controlled.

Thank you for the input.

I sprayed the affected area yesterday and again today with the diluted milk and removed any affected leaves that I saw. I doubt that I got them all.

Almost all of the affected leaves are on a single plant. I only saw a few leaves on the next plants over. I cut those yesterday and did not see any new areas today on those plants.

I am considering cutting the worst affected plant and taking it out of the garden. Is that likely to help?

I have also ordered Potassium Bicarbonate. It will be here tomorrow. I read that it can control PM for 1-2 weeks.

What does it take to get rid of PM in the room? I am running staggered flower cycles and having to cut everything would be devastating. What are my options?

Thanks again.

FJ.

Another question,

If I cut that plant can I safely dry and trim it or should it be considered hazardous material? That plant is probably 7-10 days from harvest. I usually wait for significant amber trichomes. I looked at a sample of this one under the scope and they were mostly milky with some still clear and a few turning amber. There is probably 4-6oz dry weight on that plant. I sure hate to throw it in the trash if it can safely be harvested.

What do you all think?

Thanks.

FJ

Wendull C.

Veteran
The baking soda makes your nugs look like the mildew is worse burns all your hairs and makes the buds taste funny.
I got talked into using it once and I will never touch it again.

jidoka

I ask because the root cause of PM is nutrients...the spores are everywhere. The Peter's has a high K:Ca ratio. The plant takes up the K over the Ca and what happens is cell walls are formed with K instead of Ca. The cell walls are then weaker which allows the PM to attack

Be careful to not overdo the CaNO3 as high nitrate levels will also feed PM

And don't throw it away. You can even wash buds after harvest like some of the od growers do.

My concern is that it will further contaminate my space.

I hope to salvage the flower but not if saving 4-6 oz of flower endangers the next 16 oz.

How can I handle and preserve the affected plant without endangering other plants? That is the question.

raven44

Add a fan or two is what I'd do

Worst comes to worst, buy an aqua 6 ozone generator spray plants up to 3 times per week with ozone water and never look back

Make sure to have the fans on appropriate settings not too high

Spray ozone water all the way up to harvest. Zero residue. It's the best no one knows about it

$90 shipped. A2z ozone.Com

I ask because the root cause of PM is nutrients...the spores are everywhere. The Peter's has a high K:Ca ratio. The plant takes up the K over the Ca and what happens is cell walls are formed with K instead of Ca. The cell walls are then weaker which allows the PM to attack

Be careful to not overdo the CaNO3 as high nitrate levels will also feed PM

I stick with JR Peter's recommendations that are backed up by a successful group of growers here. 3:2 Jacks to CaNO3 by ppm. I run 600-700 ppm over my starting water.

I have been running Jack's for almost two years and never had a problem until a plumbing leak "rained" on a 2'x2' area for two days. The appearance of PM is (so far) limited to the area that was wet.

I suspect that the trigger was environmental (wet) rather that a nutrient issue. But....

If I knew all of the answers the I would not need to ask questions....

Thank you for your input.

FJ

Add a fan or two is what I'd do

Worst comes to worst, buy an aqua 6 ozone generator spray plants up to 3 times per week with ozone water and never look back

Make sure to have the fans on appropriate settings not too high

Spray ozone water all the way up to harvest. Zero residue. It's the best no one knows about it

$90 shipped. A2z ozone.Com

I have plenty of fans. I did add one directed at the area that got wet as well.

I have a couple of ozone generators but they are more typical units that release ozone into the air. Would it be worthwhile to run them in the flower room. I tried this in the past for odor control and it caused minor issues with the plants. Perhaps if I run them intermittently instead of 24/7?

jidoka

I stick with JR Peter's recommendations that are backed up by a successful group of growers here. 3:2 Jacks to CaNO3 by ppm. I run 600-700 ppm over my starting water.

I have been running Jack's for almost two years and never had a problem until a plumbing leak "rained" on a 2'x2' area for two days. The appearance of PM is (so far) limited to the area that was wet.

I suspect that the trigger was environmental (wet) rather that a nutrient issue. But....

If I knew all of the answers the I would not need to ask questions....

Thank you for your input.

FJ

Point being you got by until a little stress is applied. You could make your plants a little more immune to this problem is all I am saying. The fact that you do not shoot for vpd recommends says something also

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Try this combination: Serenade (30-45ml/gallon) with raw milk (25-50% dilution rate). The milk will control if not eliminate the dirty baby diaper odor that Serenade is known for, and Raw Milk has proven to be a most effective fungicide (better than many synthetics). It works.

raven44

I have plenty of fans. I did add one directed at the area that got wet as well.

I have a couple of ozone generators but they are more typical units that release ozone into the air. Would it be worthwhile to run them in the flower room. I tried this in the past for odor control and it caused minor issues with the plants. Perhaps if I run them intermittently instead of 24/7?

I doubt it, maybe tho.... but I've read it can burn plants

Just get what I recommend u will not regret it i can promise u that

Nothing compares not even close

Thank you.

I will give that a shot.

Any thoughts on my removing the most affected plant?

Can I dry it in my usual area without endangering future runs?

Thanks again.

S.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Like resinryder suggested, I'd use Eagle20 on plants in veg. I fought pm for years. I used milk, neem, zone/saturator, low humidity, high humidity....you name it. Finally got some eagle, sprayed the plants down a day before putting them in flower area and havent seen pm in well over a year! Just used it the one time too. I also wiped down everything in grow area with a mild bleach solution too. Walls, hood, straps, chains...everything.

There is a thread on Eagle20 started by krunchbubble on here. Towards the end of the thread, he got some of the finished flowers tested at a lab to see if any of the active chemical in eagle was still present in the buds. It wasnt. Not a trace. This is only using it in veg though.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Eagle 20 works (I have it in my arsenal), but I would personally reserve it as a last resort. Spraying Eagle20 is a nasty and odorous task that I never look forward to.