What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco vs soil "in Organic grow"

War horse

Coco

or

Soil .... in Organic grow ?

i usually use Coco+musroomcompost+chickenmanure+kelp

So.. sould i switch from coco to soil ?

lotus710

Depends on the soil. If your making your own soil from peat moss lava rock and some good vermicompost id say switch that shit up

War horse

Thanks for answer me mr.lotus

I do not have peat moss lava rock in were i live.

i just have this musroomcompost+chickenmanure+kelp ( and sea kelp )

I was just thinking if i should switch "out coco" and put "soil in"

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can, but it will raise the bulk density (dry weight by volume). Watering is trickier, total porosity is typically lower.

Depends what you refer to as soil as well. Soil and compost generally make a heavy mixture.

Nothing to stop a few test pots though. 100% coir, 50/50, 100% soil, etc.

i had one bag of peat and i like that a lot, but cant get that anywhere around here so im back to mixing coco to around 30% keeps more air in the middle

h.h.

Veteran
I'm just not a huge coco fan. With that use what you got. If you've been using coco successfully, stick with it.

I always add a little soil to my mix. What Mike said though, generally soil alone in pots leads to problems.

lotus710

Damn no peat moss around you?? First ive heard of thatXD usualy its at every store around. Sphagnum peat moss. About 10$cad comes in a big 3.4cuft bale. If you cant get that i know guys that grow in straight amended leaf mold with AMAZING results!

h.h.

Veteran
What about 60% soil and 40% perlite

Not a big perlite fan either. Again though, if that's whats available. Forty % seems a bit much. Twenty-five % is more in line. Perlite as well as coco, while serving to loosen up soil, add very little as far as nutrients and don't serve to support your microlife.

Not knowing your soil, it's hard to comment. I've never had good luck with my local soil in pots.

Alternative may be leaf mold as suggested. I can't say from experience. I've seen plants grown in well composted horse manure with success, though there is concern about medications.

h.h.

Veteran
I am using this soil

http://www.cannagardening.com/terra_professional_plus

h.h. what do you think ?
From what I can tell, it's peat moss (good), dolomite lime (good with peat moss), tree bark ( unknown origin, probably good), and a small amount of "NPK" fertilizer 12-14-24. Requires additional fertilizer. ( high numbers, probably not organic). $40 American on Amazon (OUCH!!!)

I wouldn't buy the "Plus" because of the fertilizer not being organic. I wouldn't pay $40 either. Without the fertilizer though, it sounds like it may be a good product. The non Plus version would probably make a very good base for some of the soil recipes, if you can get it at a decent price.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
There are so many great bagged soils out there. Pick one and run with it. You can amend it more if you'd like. Soil is much more forgiving than coco and you don't have to worry about pH so much either.

-Funk

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
fyi soil is clay, silt, and loam.

i think the OP is posing the question sphagnum peat moss vs coco coir?

i vote peat moss myself. the raw stuff (no promix or sunshine products). good biology. cheap. north american. win.

coco coir seems to be a great hydro medium but i'm not a fan of how it behaves in a living soil situation IME. granted after one run i ditched it and went back to peat, so i didn't give it the fairest chance.

i agree with h.h.---unamended native soil is very difficult to work with in containers.

coldcanna

Veteran
I've used both as an aeration tool and had success but I think it depends on your quantity. Dealing with PH in coco can be a PITA if your percentage of total material gets higher whereas I've had successfull runs in 100% peat and no PH adjustments whatsoever. Also coco will require more watering, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your situation I suppose

Latest posts

Latest posts