What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to get best educaton for MJ botany/ horticulture ?

The Boys

Im not sure if this is the best forum to post this on but I am thinking of taking a career path towards cannabis production for either recreational use, medicinal use or a combination of both ( hopefully legally ).
I was hoping for some guidance on the topic of education for the career.
I would really like to specialize in breeding and/or production of cannabis for use to produce isolates for cancer treatment. especially strains relatively high in the less common cannabinoids.

What should I do ?

mr. gt

When you hang out on the forums for more than 8 years and you are still learning you realize its non stop learning. Forums are free and there is wayyy more information out than you may be able to read in a life time since its never ending. There is lots of breeders on this form and I've learned a bit about f1's, f2's and s1's and all that good stuff just by reading.

I don't know about how to kill cancer. But did u try google searching 'cannabis cancer treatment'?

The Boys

8 years....I was on OG from 99 till it went down, anyway I "know" enough about the potential of cannabinoids to cure cancer. what I want is an education specializing in cannabis, this is not available in my country ( Canada ) so what I hope to do is the next best thing ( while staying in Canada )

ps im aware that thiings are in a constant state of change and the impossibility of knowing everything. and what I could learn on this site would fall faaaar short of the educational requirements of colleges/universities.

shaggyballs

Veteran
OLD MISS is the only college I have heard that does cannabis studies!
MISSISSIPPI STATE

If you read this thread and can answer the magic ratio question it would be a good start....that is if you are serious about learning to maximize the potential of cannabis!!!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=263131
Please remember to share what you have learned with others!!
"Any who wish to profit himself alone from the knowledge given him, rather than serve others through the knowledge he has gained from learning, is betraying knowledge and rendering it worthless"
If ya ask me that is a good education right there!
So much more here to offer here at IC.....a lot of mis-information also!!!!!

I hope to hear back from ya after you read it..I realize it is very long!!!
Good luck
shag

MIway

Veteran
an ag sciences degree. think commercial food crops. thats the direction mj is going... the legal version.

RoadRash

I would favor hands-on. e.g. Start as Plant Waterer at a grow op in Colorado, be dependable, watch your salary rise, etc.

OR, for example, UCSD has done some med studies involving cannabis. But to be involved, you need heavy duty bio-chem.

Whether to go the hands-on approach or the science degree approach can easily be answered. Just take the first year intensive college chemistry, the kind where you study the 3 or 4 different variations of theories re. Atomic Orbitals (how electrons share electrons in a molecule.)

In order to go the science route, that intense chemistry needs to come almost naturally. Personally, I find Sativa helps with that.

E

Eureka Springs Organics

Start trimming at a dispensary, and work your way up. All the while reading every agronomy book you can get your hands on. Obviously you need to also live on Icmag.

Head growers can make six figures easy.:)

Last edited:

surfguitar

ps im aware that thiings are in a constant state of change and the impossibility of knowing everything. and what I could learn on this site would fall faaaar short of the educational requirements of colleges/universities.

What requirements? I've been to school for botany and plant science, honestly they will help you very little with cannabis growing besides giving you an understanding of how soil/plant biology works. You can get the same info and it's gonna be way more update using google.

If your truly interested in making a career in cannabis start growing and learning hands on or move to a med state and find a dispensary job and build up from there.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If your in the GWN chances to get into that biz in a legal manner are extremely slim from what I've been reading.

The MMAR program is being infiltrated by shitty commercial growers like Prarie Plant Systems.
Canadians that NEED meds are screwed with the new med program.

Botany... useless... you already know what cannabis is.
If you want to grow the very best medicine you can, look into soil science. Take a peek over at soilminerals dot com and like sources of information.

onavelzy

Veteran
to learn how to produce cannabis as a career, go where that is being done. Hands on practical experience in the running of a large scale growing operation would be invaluable. I would think there would be many opportunities for such a thing in Canada, Colorado, Netherlands and Spain.

In addition, taking college work in life sciences, especially those focused on agricultural sciences, would also be a helpful tool.

some schools are flexible enough to allow you to develop a degree ofyour own if your desired area of study doesn't fit what is available. this is an example from the web site of UC Davis in Sacramento, CA.

Granger2

Veteran
You said you wanted to get the best education. Search for ag schools in CO, WA, and elsewhere to see if they're offering courses yet or plan to. If you want an Ag or Horticulture degree with a cannabis specialty, you'll have to go for about 2 years getting all the other courses, so maybe by then, they'll be offering cannacourses. In the meantime get any kind of entry level job you can in the Cannabis bidness. Onavelsy made a good suggestion for make your own degree programs. Good luck. -granger

Latest posts

Latest posts