What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EGGS on a mothers' stalks? Sap? Wtf...?

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Best pics I could get using a loupe. Hope this helps.

picture.php

picture.php

Noticed this a few days ago on one of my mothers... Inspected the other 5 mother plants in the same area and saw nothing similar. No ill effects on this plant right now, looking perfectly healthy.

A couple weeks ago there was some edge yellowing/turning light green on 2 of the mothers, figured it to be some sort of microdeficiency, fed them, all is well.

Around the same time I did notice 2 little fast scurrying soil mites (?) on one of those mothers. Fairly large, didn't think too much of them as I've seen harmless (?) soil mites before... but... Did a root drench with Azamax for good measure and haven't seen anything since. And both mother plants with light deficiency are now growing normally with healthy newer growth and back to full health aside from affected leaves that I've mostly removed (wasn't many).

So not to be confused, this picture is of a completely seperate mother. Haven't had any issues whatsoever. Just happened to notice these little round, orangeish whateverthefucks. Kind of in sparse clusters of several, like 3-5 at most, in two locations. Looked at them with a 60x scope and they just look like... light orange eggs with a shiny "membrane" of a sort.

I'm starting to wonder if some of these incidents are related or coincidence. Like I said, everything is healthy now, and haven't seen any pests despite carefully inspecting all 6 mothers.

Very curious what this is... thought maybe it could be like a sap or something?? Worst case, it's eggs of something I don't want to fuck with, but either way, better to catch something sooner than later and lose genetics.

Any input is appreciated :thank you:

paulycali

Kinda like pimples or acne of the plant. Pluck em off. They should barely be sticking onto the stem. Not a biggie if you ask me. Grow away and good luck :)

eric2028

Veteran
i'd keep spraying em with some sort of miticide on a strict regimen(which everyone should regardless). doesnt look like a problem at a glance.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Geez, I have no idea what that is.

Not knowing, Id spray again to be safe. Just before you spray see if you can rupture them. If its bugs or whatever, youll get the inside of the eggs/spores(?). If its part of the plant, youre not going to hurt them.

I hope someone can recognize this for you.

Granger2

Veteran
Do a thorough inspection of all plants. Use your fingernail. If you scrape them off, be sure to dispose of them properly. Could be an Armored Scale, which can be devastating. I've seen armored scales on different species of Euonymous that were shoulder to shoulder on the stems. Systemics are about the only way to fight them. Oils have some effect. Azamax root drench is what I'd recommend, but I'd also do a Neem spray. Good luck. -granger

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
I did inspect all plants (mothers) very well and only saw these little things on a couple branches on this one plant. But I will keep a very close eye.

Did an Azamax root drench recently but will start them regularly. As well as sprays of Azamax and neem.

I did try squeezing them.... they come off the stalk very easily. But they didnt seem to really squish.... but then again they are so damn small.

What should I be keeping an eye out for aside from just general plant health?

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Kinda like pimples or acne of the plant. Pluck em off. They should barely be sticking onto the stem. Not a biggie if you ask me. Grow away and good luck :)

I hope you're right. Have you seen this before? Like I said in my last post, they do indeed remove very easily....

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Never seen those before, have you seen any bugs moving on the plants? Soil mites I had them when I had my first grow, they do mess with the root system, do they pop up when you water the plants? you will see the tiny little bastards crawl up the rim from the water?

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Never seen those before, have you seen any bugs moving on the plants? Soil mites I had them when I had my first grow, they do mess with the root system, do they pop up when you water the plants? you will see the tiny little bastards crawl up the rim from the water?

No I haven't. And when I did see a couple of what I believe to have been soil mites on a different mother, but in the same area, was when I just picked up the pot to check water weight and saw 2 of them scurrying around on the outside of the pot. But after a root drench of Azamax I haven't seen them since. I'm going to very carefully inspect them again when I get home today.

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
doesnt look like scale bugs but they do make a sticky mess. safers soap is all you need for them.

unspoken

I saw a few of these in one of my grows. Thought they were scale, but they looked too small. I picked the few off that I saw and forgot about it for a couple weeks. Then I saw it. The big sticky spot on one of my plants. I felt violated. Pretty sure they are some kind of scale, and neem took care of them for me. Two thorough applications a few days apart, and I never saw them again.

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
thats good, let me know if you see anything, curious as to what that is.....
Fuck! Came home, watered the mothers and then went to check them out.... soil mites by the plenty. Confirmed in the two mothers I was referring to previously, haven't found any yet in the mother with eggs (or whatever they are) on the stalk. And havent found any of THOSE on the mothers with the soil mites. Wtf.

The soil mites are a light orangeish to tan color (very close to the same color of whats on the stalk in the pics!), maybe 2-3 times the size of a spider mite. Small antennaes visible to the naked eye. Relatively quick moving. Haven't nabbed one to check out under the scope yet but will do if I can help someone ID.

Drenched with Azamax at 15ml/gal like 10-14 days ago.

Just watered them.

Plan of action?

Edit: Okay so I captured one and looked at it under a 60x scope... Light orange in color, shiny body/ass, transparent antennae, 6 legs, and a couple of "fang" looking deals at the mouth. Did some searching... found a pic of a mite of the Pergamasus genus that looks almost identical, but a bit darker.

F0VQT06QRS2Q2K0KNK6QNKLK2KSK2KSK6K0K6K2QO0KKO0PQWKLKPKHKNKLKT0ZKO02Q6K6Q10PQ

Then I found this, Pergamasus Gamasid which is the same color, but the mites in my soil don't have a split sort of body like this. Also not seeming quite as round, more oblong like in the pic above. Although it may be the same mite for all I know...

Pergamasus%20gamasid%20mite%20b%205%20-%2060x.jpg

Possibly in the Pergamasus genus? If that rings a bell to anyone. Couldn't find too good of information regarding what I'm worried about. But I am almost surely convinced that the first pic in my original post is eggs of these soil mites. Oh, and I possibly may have knocked one off of the plant? I'm also quite convinced that the light plant damage I've seen is not from a microdeficiency, and that I just slowed them down with a drench of Azamax and is why healthy new growth returned.

Disclaimer: I have no clue what I'm talking about with soil mites.... I could be way off. Upon searching IC, I didn't really find anything that really resembled these mites I've got.... what a PITA...

eric2028

Veteran
i use diatomaceous earth for soil critters. it kills anything that makes contact with it usually within 48 hours. crawling, flying doesnt matter. its also very cheap! azamax is costly on larger gardens.

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
i use diatomaceous earth for soil critters. it kills anything that makes contact with it usually within 48 hours. crawling, flying doesnt matter. its also very cheap! azamax is costly on larger gardens.

These little bastards seem to be fairly hard-bodied... not sure d/e will do the trick but I'm open to anything. I really dont want to lose any of my genetics... especially the Blue Cheese mother that is being affected. It seems as tho these fuckers are doing a number on the root zone, as last night before I watered the plants were drooping with a fair amount of water weight in the soil. Not to mention the 30 plants, 7 plants from seed and 23 cuttings, that were just moved to my 4k room were in the same space.

I need an effective plan of action quickly.

bilbobonger

Just found some of these this morning on one of my moms. Looks like little orange dried up sap bits on the main stock. Seen it once before. Hope this isn't eggs or some shit. Please follow up on this thread if you come up with anything elsewhere.

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Just found some of these this morning on one of my moms. Looks like little orange dried up sap bits on the main stock. Seen it once before. Hope this isn't eggs or some shit. Please follow up on this thread if you come up with anything elsewhere.

Still havent solved the mystery of those orange things... I did locate soil mites of a similar color but I don't see it fit that soil mites would lay eggs on branches. They seem to just disappear.... fall off or something. I've only located them on one of 6 mothers, that plant being quite healthy. I think those orange bits are harmless but Im keeping a close eye.