What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panty Hose/ Stocking Hash?

A

Alfred

Hello all,

I have recently made some stocking hash, which comes out a greenish/ gold.

I just put the chopped up (with scissors) dry trim in the stocking and then put it in the freezer for a while.
Then i shake it and kneed it around until not much is coming through, then i freeze it again and repeat the process.

It is very easy and for the small amounts i make, it seems like the least PITA method. :)

I was just wondering if there is a way to improve this method, so that i get a little less green? It is still good enough to heat up and use a rolling pin to form a small block, but if i could get it to be more golden than greenish it would look a bit nicer.

Thanks for any tips. :whee: :ying:

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think you could obtain better results using some serious screen of the right size.
Stockings are way too elastic, an inox (or even a nylon one) screen is not elastic at all and every hole is the same for all the screen.

This mean that using a good screen you'll lose the easy to use of the stockings but you'll have more control on the size that come down from the screen.

Hope it helps :wave:

S

SeaMaiden

I agree that the pantyhose hole sizes are probably too irregular, but also your method of processing might be improved. Your goal is to get trichomes to break off, but not get a bunch of ground up plant material. So I say go lighter when you're kneading the trim, and keep the first and second 'runs' separate, see what you get.

I need my own dry sift screen. A big one.

When in need, and without all the fancy gear, take a tub or bucket of any size. line the bottom and sides with wax paper, then take a shear shower curtain or better a silk scarf from you lady's wardrobe. with string or wire secure the fabric to the top of the tub/bucket push it down in the center and dump your trim or shake in the depression. then take a hand whisk or an electric mixer and run it all around in the trim for several minute. then untie the string and you should see all golden kief dusted across the wax paper.......enjoy.

A

Alfred

Thanks folks. I have considered buying a screen.

Does it take more skill to use a screen without getting too much green?
Or do i just rub the trim across it, and the screen does all of the 'sorting'?

Thanks again.

S

SeaMaiden

The way I was taught to use a dry sift screen was to freeze the trim, lightly 'beat' it with a wooden spoon or similar, tossing it around while you're lightly beating. Then you put a pile that's not too big for the screen. Take two plastic cards and use them to pull up the pile, and let it lightly drop onto the screen. Repeat this bringing up and letting fall for a couple of minutes. You'll have to stop once the trim warms up, because the trichomes begin to stick again. So, back into the bag and the freezer it goes, while you process another batch.

Each processing is kept track of, first run, second run, third run's discarded. First run is the golden run, second run's got more green, third run, if you've done it right, should have little to no kief left in it at all.

I betcha there's a YouTube showing how to do it! Lemme take a look and I'll edit if there is.

SneakySneaky

Veteran
The way I was taught to use a dry sift screen was to freeze the trim, lightly 'beat' it with a wooden spoon or similar, tossing it around while you're lightly beating. Then you put a pile that's not too big for the screen. Take two plastic cards and use them to pull up the pile, and let it lightly drop onto the screen. Repeat this bringing up and letting fall for a couple of minutes. You'll have to stop once the trim warms up, because the trichomes begin to stick again. So, back into the bag and the freezer it goes, while you process another batch.

Each processing is kept track of, first run, second run, third run's discarded. First run is the golden run, second run's got more green, third run, if you've done it right, should have little to no kief left in it at all.

I betcha there's a YouTube showing how to do it! Lemme take a look and I'll edit if there is.

Put a couple of cylindrical pieces of dry ice in with your trim to stop it from warming up. Growsflowers came over for my birthday and made some dry ice sift using an old bubble bag I have and the dry ice trick did the trick.

A

Alfred

Thanks folks,

I bought some better quality stockings, which does help a bit.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks folks,

I bought some better quality stockings, which does help a bit.

Stockings aren't made out of a monofilament and will shed fine fuzz into your dry sieve. Check it out under a microscope.

therevverend

Veteran
That takes me back. First way I ever made hash years ago. I'd put the trim in a glass jar, in the freezer, then strech the panty hose across the mouth until the holes were the size of the THC crystals. I'd put a rubber band around the mouth to hold it there and shake like crazy over a big mirror. Roll up a big ball of the nicest Hubool. Then I learned about 150 micron metal screen..

Mr_Grimbo

I agree that the pantyhose hole sizes are probably too irregular, but also your method of processing might be improved. Your goal is to get trichomes to break off, but not get a bunch of ground up plant material. So I say go lighter when you're kneading the trim, and keep the first and second 'runs' separate, see what you get.

I need my own dry sift screen. A big one.

Any Art store like Michaels or AC Moore will carry different sizes of these:

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/W2024110

for a bit more than a decent pair or two of panty hose.

Most screen printers will have old ones hanging around they can't use anymore because of small holes or whatever, they will usually sell them to you very cheap (I bought a bunch for 10 bucks each for another project) and put a small dab of tape over any pinholes... For screening kief, I use 110 mesh but I have actually built a small tumbler that runs in a bucket with a cordless drill so I don't even have to sift.

But for quick, clean hash, put it over a cookie tin, or any collector and use it for your worktable while trimming your harvest, then to card your frozen trim later...

To the poster who had too much green, the less you can crumble or cut up the leaf, the less green you will get too.

S

SeaMaiden

Yep! I was at a Michael's last week, went in, bought shadow boxes and promptly forgot all about my intention to pick up a silk screen frame. Another poster here put up a thread on what he uses, 110micron t-shirt screen box/frame/thingy.

Mr_Grimbo

Yep! I was at a Michael's last week, went in, bought shadow boxes and promptly forgot all about my intention to pick up a silk screen frame. Another poster here put up a thread on what he uses, 110micron t-shirt screen box/frame/thingy.

Just want to be clear that what I use is 110 "mesh" screen which is different from 110 "Micron". Here is a chart, not sure how exact it is but you can get a decent idea. Some screen lines are slightly different size but again, this should be close.

http://support.silkscreeningsupplies.com/entries/20390368-mesh-to-micron-conversions

Mr. Grimbo

S

SeaMaiden

Ah! Ok, thanks for that, it's been a loooooooooooong time since I've done anything screen-printing related.

Went to the Roseville Michael's yesterday, and all they had was 124. I'm going to order online.

the gnome

Veteran
Hello all,

I have recently made some stocking hash, which comes out a greenish/ gold.

I just put the chopped up (with scissors) dry trim in the stocking and then put it in the freezer for a while.
Then i shake it and kneed it around until not much is coming through, then i freeze it again and repeat the process.

It is very easy and for the small amounts i make, it seems like the least PITA method. :)

I was just wondering if there is a way to improve this method, so that i get a little less green? It is still good enough to heat up and use a rolling pin to form a small block, but if i could get it to be more golden than greenish it would look a bit nicer.

Thanks for any tips. :whee: :ying:

back in the 70s high times had a story on making panties hash and a pictorial showing an old mexican farmer making it.
basically get a large sized piece of silk... 2ft x 2ft
or borrow your best girls silk panties.
get your bud and break it up or cut it up into very small pieces,
i used scissors.
take the silk or panties and and bowl about the size you make
cake batter in
put the silk on top of the bowl
wrap it around the bowl so the loose ends are under the bowl,
then twist it on the bottom so the silk gets nice and taut on the top of the bowl, like tightening a drumhead.
then get the cut up bud and lightly start rubbing it on the tightened silk and the resin sifts through into the bowl.
that made the best hash anyone had at the time.
it wasn't fine like pollen, had a few larger pieces in it but it worked extremely well.
you can get more if you want to keep reprocessing the buds
i ran it a couple times

i used 2oz of prime mex sinse and got 12 grams of hash.
the left over pot was compressed in a tomato sauce can and still kicked your butt.

all it takes is a bowl, a piece of silk or panties
a pair of scissors to cut up the budz and
you'll have hash in an hour
75% of the time involved is cutting up the bud