What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SE's 2015 Guerrilla: returning to the roots

What up guys? Nice to finally get an excuse to pop over into the outdoor forum. Been a long time since I grew cannabis outdoors. This thread will document my entire journey, including the planning phase.

About 12 years ago, when I was still a teenager, I grew my first plant outdoors. Germinated some bag seed I found in some mexican brick. Had no idea what I was doing. Some walmart soil and nutes (knockoff miracle gro) and some bright red 3-5 gallon buckets. It was a nightmare. Ended up losing 'em to rippers. But I mean, a bright red bucket, ya know?

Tried again the following season and actually had some success. 5 plants, I believe it was. Got a really late start, so they didn't get very big... but it was my first taste of good herb, in abundance. I was hooked on growing, turned 18 and then went indoors and never looked back.

Now, a decade later, and a much better (indoor) gardener... I'll be attempting my 2015 outdoor grow. Hence the title, returning to my roots. Outdoors.

So let's break down the plan, as I have it in my head so far -

Location: State Property at 39N. It's a somewhat small (2000+ acres) wildlife preserve that doesn't get much traffic outside of hunting season. Not to far from my home, rough terrain, lots of hills, clearings, and available water. Looking to place several small plots on this property, and still looking for other properties to grow on.

Strain: Unknown, yet. Will likely attempt some of my indoor keepers outside, but I'm also going to be getting some beans of some good hardy strains that should thrive in my area.

Method: Organic soils. Will be digging a holes in the ground and filling with amended soils mixed 50:50 with native soil. Holes will be 12-18" deep and 3-4' diameter.

Plant count: I'm *hoping* this will be a fairly large grow (for me), I'm aiming to put 50 plants on this specific location split on into several plots throughout the preserve. Hoping to pull a conservative 1/2 - 1 lb per plant...... with ideally another location with another 50 plants.

Why am I aiming so big (again, for me)? Because I feel like I'm guaranteed to lose quite a few. I'm working with plants that I don't know if they'll do good outdoors, I don't know what will finish in my area in time, etc. We have a high deer population, its public lands so I'll probably lose some to rippers or, god forbid, LEO. I'm not talking about 10-20 plants all together in large patches. I mean 2 here, 3 there. That kinda thing.

I also, would like to be able to more-or-less shut down my indoor grow until I can move it outside of my residence. If I can be a successful Guerrilla grower, I intend to do just that.

Advice, criticisms, comments, anything is welcomed. There will be lots of pics as the snow melts and I get to work.

First thing I'd like feedback on - partners. I'd love to bring in a partner to help with the labor. Also because I'm deaf. You can see the disadvantages in this particular scenario. Be nice to have a set of ears listening for what I can't hear. I feel like there's just more benefit to a partner with an illegal outdoor grow, or does your experience say otherwise?

ghostmade

Veteran
If i where you i would be picking up some hybrids from hell for non femmed seed (there the tits) for fems theres a bunch,and im a rookie in the fem arena.

On the partner thing.i would usually vote agains it (just had a "partner" put my ass back to square 1) but since your def.it might be a smart thing to do.my ears have saved me.from hearing bears and other potentially dangerous wild life,peoplefrom unpredictable homeless to rippers and leo.also storms and copters. Jow with that said.you sure can pull it off solo but i wouldn't .not being a dick or handy capping ya bro.just worrued bout safety.you could also make you partner a DOG.mu h more loyal and predictable.and will alert yoo to near by threats or random rabbit or squirrel ;)(so dont always freak out lol trust me) also check out the treads here. Try and keep it simple as far as fert and ipm
And pick up 20 gallon bubble bags from the bubble man(i tell evry grower this lol)
Good luck brother.

DJbigbud

There is nothing quite like weeds growing under the sun. Its a very beautiful thing....

If deer are an issue, I had luck last year placing piss bombs around my plants. Its basically a scent deterrent that I came up with. Take 20oz pop bottles, melt a hole in the lid and insert fuse that is about 2 inches longer than the depth of the bottle. I use 3/8 inch nylon braid. Fill bottle with mixture of 75% human piss and 25% rubbing alcohol. The rope will wick the piss up and the alcohol will prevent the contents from going bad, keep the regular urine scent longer. I used these for the first time last year, 2 at each location, directly opposite each other, in the underbrush and it worked very well. Deer dont like human smell. Also if you know a barber, get some hair and top dress your plants with hair, that will also keep away pests.

I've actually been mulling over the partnership thing since I made that post earlier and I think I'm gonna err in the side of caution.... and NOT get a partner. I'm not *entirely* deaf. I can hear a chopper for instance, but the small things, especially at a distance on an approach (voices, footsteps, twigs cracking) I won't be able to hear. I'm hoping to be able to budget in some trail cameras, so....

We're all thinking on the same page here, really. I failed to mention, but I *will* have one grow partner, still just a pup with a lot to learn:

bVfJ1Q.jpg

meadowman

he'll hear anything that comes round.
i put habanero's and veggy oil in blender n emulsify it. set in fridge overnight n strain. pour in spray bottle n add water to fill, then a drop or 2 of organic dish soap. spray from up wind!!! spray surrounding area or they will stomp your plant once they bite it. they avoid the area if sprayed once a month or so until flower then they will eat the bark. rabbit wire from initial planting prevents this. good luck!

Struggling to settle on hole size. Obviously, bigger is better. Bigger also means lugging more dirt. 2x2x1.5 would be 6 cu ft or about 45 gallons. That'd make my base mix per plant be:

1/2 bale promix (12 gallons approx) + vermiculite (3 gallons)
15 gallons compost/manure
15 gallons native soil (assuming good loamy soil)

So about 30 gallons of dirt per trip. That's approximately equivalent to 3 bags of FFOF, sweet baby jesus I'm gonna be putting in some work.

Amendments are the easy part. I'll have them pre-measured into ziploc bags and mix 'em in. Easy to carry in a backpack.

The soil I'll likely rig up some type of harness and literally do these one at a time. Half bale promix and compost/manure bagged and lashed together and worn like a backpack. Anywhere I go is going to suck, its a long hike, hilly, rough terrain.

A kayak or jonboat is something I'm trying to acquire. There's lake I have to walk around, I'd love to be able to just load up and take it straight across and drop it off, and then hike it from that point. Would save me some miles to a plot or three. Some of my other spots (in mind, anyway) will be more easily accessible. No motor vehicles are allowed on the property, but there's an old gravel road that could be used for wheeling a bunch in at once under the cover of dark. Then I'll hike 'em individually, much shorter distances, to the plots.

I'm *REALLY* hoping I can find a good solution to this. I'd hate to have to literally do it one at a time from where I park my truck. I wanted my holes a bit bigger, but after running numbers for soil needs, I just can't do it if I even want to attempt large numbers. But all in all, my ability to get good quality soil out there may end up being my restricting factor.

Then again, the native soil could be freakin' amazing stuff and all I'll need is some amendments. This is in the middle of Indiana farmland, known for its fertile soils. Then again, we got some clay too.

Stdane

Hi SmokinErb
It looks like you've been thinking a lot trough. Though I would hate to sit in a kayak with an assload of soil and amendments. On the partner thing I'm with others of the good people here that says NO! and why - because people simply cant keep their big mouth shut, and even if it was your best friend,this friend have friends too and someday when drunk or stoned he/she simply gotta get this great load of their chest; That they're growing the biggest and best plants ever with a friend.....throw a stone in the water and see how many rings it will make, that's probably how many knows about the grow in a couple of weeks time after such a fuck up and down the line, rippers will be sniffin'....okay enough of this subject.

Oh I forgot the dog thing,well it can work both ways, if you dont control this 100% then yes it will hear things or people getting nearer, but then it might be barking your fucking ears off, when subjects are near enough to smell or see.

Back again to the soil with 170 liter per hole that's a whole lotta work so I would check out the soil on your spots before beginning hauling in, you know if too much clay more soil, good fat black forrest soil not so much, and finally water supply is important, if you cant be at your spots almost daily trough heat wawes to handwater, the succes is dependant on 1.- early planting so the roots will go deep or 2.- a dripsystem with water hauled in, in big plastbarrel or taken from a nearby lake/river with a battery pump. With a barrel you dont need a pump, its placed a little higher than the plants and the pressure downwards will water the plant. Again this might only be needed trough heatwawes if if the plants are rooted thoroughly. Happy growing buddy!

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Hi SmokinErb
It looks like you've been thinking a lot trough. Though I would hate to sit in a kayak with an assload of soil and amendments. On the partner thing I'm with others of the good people here that says NO! and why - because people simply cant keep their big mouth shut, and even if it was your best friend,this friend have friends too and someday when drunk or stoned he/she simply gotta get this great load of their chest; That they're growing the biggest and best plants ever with a friend.....throw a stone in the water and see how many rings it will make, that's probably how many knows about the grow in a couple of weeks time after such a fuck up and down the line, rippers will be sniffin'....okay enough of this subject.

Oh I forgot the dog thing,well it can work both ways, if you dont control this 100% then yes it will hear things or people getting nearer, but then it might be barking your fucking ears off, when subjects are near enough to smell or see.

Back again to the soil with 170 liter per hole that's a whole lotta work so I would check out the soil on your spots before beginning hauling in, you know if too much clay more soil, good fat black forrest soil not so much, and finally water supply is important, if you cant be at your spots almost daily trough heat wawes to handwater, the succes is dependant on 1.- early planting so the roots will go deep or 2.- a dripsystem with water hauled in, in big plastbarrel or taken from a nearby lake/river with a battery pump. With a barrel you dont need a pump, its placed a little higher than the plants and the pressure downwards will water the plant. Again this might only be needed trough heatwawes if if the plants are rooted thoroughly. Happy growing buddy!

if i wasnt growing with my dad i would be flying solo as well..there is no one else i can trust that wont keep their big mouth shut and before u know it LEO is showing up or ur getting ripped..i agree with u about the dog thing which is exactly the reason mine does not go with me..if he hears something he will bark and that could be at a time when i dont want him to bark but everone knows their own dog and how it was trained so thats a judgement call i suppose

Hi SmokinErb

My dog, fortunately, doesn't bark at things. She just freezes, gets all alert and waits. Silent-type guard dog, for sure. She'll let ya come inside then pounce.

And I'm really hoping for best-case scenario - great native soil with minimal hauling. Just trying to plan for worst case (heavy clay) to be prepared.

As for the kayak thing - I think if I just did a few bales, centered well, it'd be okay. Could also rig up a couple of small pontoons on arms to keep it from flipping. Ideally it'd be a jonboat or canoe, but my budget is really tight after my last seed order.

The area I'm in has quite a few small lakes and large ponds. There are over a dozen water sources on just over 2000 acres. A lot are easily accessible and available for public fishing (and do get used).... there are many smaller ones that are much more difficult to access, and are generally the areas I'll be targeting.

I won't be giving these plants frequent visits. Maybe once every 2-3 weeks once they're established. I feel like most likely I'll be hauling water jugs to and from the water sources by hand and boot. I was considering packing in some type of water pump and hose in a backpack... I just need to find a solution to powering the pump. I haven't really spent much time searching for a solution to this yet, but how do you guys power your pumps in the woods? I don't want to leave anything out there, anything I need will have to be hauled in each time, so no massive/loud generators.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
My dog, fortunately, doesn't bark at things. She just freezes, gets all alert and waits. Silent-type guard dog, for sure. She'll let ya come inside then pounce.

And I'm really hoping for best-case scenario - great native soil with minimal hauling. Just trying to plan for worst case (heavy clay) to be prepared.

As for the kayak thing - I think if I just did a few bales, centered well, it'd be okay. Could also rig up a couple of small pontoons on arms to keep it from flipping. Ideally it'd be a jonboat or canoe, but my budget is really tight after my last seed order.

The area I'm in has quite a few small lakes and large ponds. There are over a dozen water sources on just over 2000 acres. A lot are easily accessible and available for public fishing (and do get used).... there are many smaller ones that are much more difficult to access, and are generally the areas I'll be targeting.

I won't be giving these plants frequent visits. Maybe once every 2-3 weeks once they're established. I feel like most likely I'll be hauling water jugs to and from the water sources by hand and boot. I was considering packing in some type of water pump and hose in a backpack... I just need to find a solution to powering the pump. I haven't really spent much time searching for a solution to this yet, but how do you guys power your pumps in the woods? I don't want to leave anything out there, anything I need will have to be hauled in each time, so no massive/loud generators.
silent guard dog is great then u wont have no issues with that one..lol shes a sneaky little bitch then lets u get in and then pounce lol thats killer!! google "water bladder" that can save u alot of carrying water once its filled up..u can use a pump to fill up whatever size u want 100 gallon up to 500 gallon+..i have to pack mine in by hand and foot myself but i have a honda foreman 400 that gets me to the top of the mountain so i just gotta pack it down hill to differnt plots..if i didnt have a quad i would for sure invest in a water bladder though

I was just looking into an ALICE pack and a 30-gallon water bladder for hauling water in a drought.

Still considering something like a battery powered inverter, but that'd mean having to leave something out there (the water line) which could lead someone to my plants.

Same thing with the huge water bladders. Because it's only 2000 acres, there's the chance of hikers, mushroom hunters, nature enthusiasts, hunters scouting for the upcoming seasons... I don't want to leave anything around in this particular site. Stealth will be important here.

I think I may have found another site, about an hour away. It's a much larger state property. To put size difference in better perspective... my current spot is only about 3.5 sq. mi. in size.... the spot I got my eye on now is 320 sq mi in size. The small location, I'd be able to tend to more frequently, however.

The new spot, I'm just hopeful about. Not sure if it'll work or not until I get out there and check it out. It's just so big....so many places to hide....I'd be willing to set up irrigation at a place like that.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
I was just looking into an ALICE pack and a 30-gallon water bladder for hauling water in a drought.

Still considering something like a battery powered inverter, but that'd mean having to leave something out there (the water line) which could lead someone to my plants.

Same thing with the huge water bladders. Because it's only 2000 acres, there's the chance of hikers, mushroom hunters, nature enthusiasts, hunters scouting for the upcoming seasons... I don't want to leave anything around in this particular site. Stealth will be important here.

I think I may have found another site, about an hour away. It's a much larger state property. To put size difference in better perspective... my current spot is only about 3.5 sq. mi. in size.... the spot I got my eye on now is 320 sq mi in size. The small location, I'd be able to tend to more frequently, however.

The new spot, I'm just hopeful about. Not sure if it'll work or not until I get out there and check it out. It's just so big....so many places to hide....I'd be willing to set up irrigation at a place like that.
ya i agree bro..thats why i haul mine in hand and foot..i dont like to leave evidence out there that even gives someone a ideal about a grow site..if they did see a pump and line they would for sure investigate it..we have ginsegn hunters here in my area thats always out there roaming around..i like to put mine in a thicket/overgrown bush if possible..all my spots this year is in a thicket except 6 plants which i will put out in singles..1 plant and move a couple hundred yards or so and put another so only one will be found if it does get found or they will have to search the area very well..i tend my plants at least 1-2 times a week and if it comes a heavy wind storm i go st8 after that..been a few times i have had to go back to back to back bc of strong winds just to check and make sure all is good

Well, spring is fast approaching. I feel like we've begun our thaw for the year, and with nice weather, comes the fever.... outdoor fever!

I'm going to share some Google Earth images of some of the sites I have in mind. I'll be calling this location AlphaLoc. This is the 2000+ acres of lightly public land. The following are potential plot sites, but still need to be scouted on foot.

My only criteria for selecting these sites was having water nearby. Using the knowledge I already possess of this land, I eliminated all of the large, heavily used bodies of water as potential sources and am focusing on smaller bodies of water and small creeks.

This first one is the one I have the highest hopes for. It's also the site I need some type of a boat for easy access, otherwise hauling dirt is going to be hell. It's also the *only* site I have planned that utilizes one of the larger bodies of water and is actively fished. Still very difficult to access without a boat.
peMzn9.jpg

Second area isn't too far from the first. I also have pretty high hopes for this one, however this location is the furthest from any available water source.
EVke5R.jpg

There's a small pond and 2 creeks that run near this location... Also one I have high hopes for. Nowhere to put a large plot, but several smaller ones can easily be accomplished back her. Anything beyond this photo I'm just hopeful at best for.
JtkIFh.jpg

Now here's one that's actually on private property that's bordering the state land. Difficult to access for sure. The thin strip that runs NE-SE boarding the woods is south facing, near the water and requires crawling on hands and knees to get there.
QmvAaV.jpg

Here's another location. This may be a little bit riskier, I just gotta get out there on foot and see what I can see. This is the easiest to access location... you can drive up about 200-300 yards from here and walk straight to it. This is a location I'll be relying on stealth.
MjMeWe.jpg

This one isn't too far from the third picture in above post. I'd actually be using the same water sources.
BJhFOo.jpg

This one here also may be a little risky. It's not too far from the main fishing bodies of water (there are 5 main ones). This is one of the areas I've never really hiked around so I gotta get my boots on and check it out as well:
zgcB17.jpg

Middle of rough country. Not far from the beaten path, but difficult to access. Will have to be careful about making trails here.
8pZdGA.jpg

These next two I've never been to, aside from driving by on the roads. AlphaLoc property is kinda sectioned off, it's got 1 main area and some smaller areas that aren't directly connected to the main and require a short drive. These are from those areas, fairly close to farm property, but both are on state land.
XHfZC3.jpg

92Vi69.jpg

Last edited:

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
You do know 30 gallons of water is roughly 250 lbs, not including the container, right?

I got the 30 gallon number when I was looking into those bladders for the first time. the website I was browsing at the time only had a few sizes.

I've since found a 20-gallon one intended for use in a wheelbarrow. I feel like that's a little more reasonable at around 160 lbs and should fit in the ALICE pack (need to confirm this). Although, I *could* carry 250 lbs on my back from any watering hole to my planned plots. Couldn't march it all the way in though, no way.

Still looking for solutions to all of this. I still got a bit of time until the dry season here where they'll need heavy waterings... hopefully my financial situations improves enough by then I can just get a gas powered pump. I can't swing $300-400 for one right away though. After seeds, ALICE pack/w frame, folding shovel/pick, dirt amendments... my budget is pretty much blown. And that's hoping I won't need much.. hoping for good loamy soil that I can just add some rice hulls/perilite, compost, and nutes to.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts