What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blackstrap molasses alongside canna nutes?? growing in coco

Is it worth trying to add molasses? growing in coco, using Canna A+B, rhizo, cannazym, pk13/14 and bio boost. found couple of threads that people saying they're getting denser buds when adding molasses in flowering.. would it work this way adding organic molasses to chemical nutes? please share your expierence!!

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Never worked for me and I've tried it dozens of times over the years hoping for results. Worthless crap, especially in coco. Don't mix up more than you can use in 1 day as when I did this with chemical nutes in 5 gal buckets the crap started brewing in 24 hrs with nasty bubbles and scum.

mouts

ive used it in soil and it works well. Ive used the canna coco range as well with cannaboost which is pretty much the same as molasses and i had good results. It improves the smell and taste of the buds and makes them look a bit more frosty

Stoned40yrs, thanx for reply. dont think I'll be bothered to try it this grow then. Coz I'm growing from seeds, every plant got a bit diffrent genes so wouldnt see the diffrence as a newbie grower.
mouts, abit diffrent with soil I suppose.. when and for how long have you been using it? Whats the diffrence between sulphur and unsulphur?

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Stoned40yrs, thanx for reply. dont think I'll be bothered to try it this grow then. Coz I'm growing from seeds, every plant got a bit diffrent genes so wouldnt see the diffrence as a newbie grower.
mouts, abit diffrent with soil I suppose.. when and for how long have you been using it? Whats the diffrence between sulphur and unsulphur?

It's worth trying for the hell of it, someday.:biggrin: You'll have no way of knowing if it works unless you've grown the strains from clone before in the same medium and have some baseline to compare results. Side X side grow with and without would be better. Keeping it simple with base nutes works great:biggrin:

mouts

i started growing in soil without molasses first and got to the first harvest then started using molasses for every grow after that. I definitely noticed a difference in taste and smell. The buds were more smooth and tasty with less of a grassy taste. Its worth payin the extra few quid even if the difference is minimal imo. I was using chemical nutes as well btw. In organics it supposedly feeds the bacteria in the soil but even with chemicals it seems to make difference. It also contains micronutrients and vitamins which help keep the plants healthty.

mouts

unsulphured just means there is no sulphur added to it which is a preservative which is bad for plants so get the unsulphured stuff

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I use molasses with canna nutes in coco all the time, and have been for years. but I only add about 2oz to 25/gal

Zen Medz

If you're not adding beneficial bacteria to your plants then sugar won't do much to help the plant. Plants can absorb sugar/carbs molecules through their roots BUT not very efficiently. Sugar will not make herb taste sweeter or look frostier! That's marketing BS from the hydro industry. With that said, molasses can be helpful with or without beneficials because it contains, potassium, magnesium, iron and some other micros. I've heard it is also has some chelating properties. I brew teas with molasses and add this to my plants with good results. I run a chemical based rez that is separate from any sugar products. I also add beneficials to my coco before I plant. Good luck!

If you're not adding beneficial bacteria to your plants then sugar won't do much to help the plant. Plants can absorb sugar/carbs molecules through their roots BUT not very efficiently. Sugar will not make herb taste sweeter or look frostier! That's marketing BS from the hydro industry. With that said, molasses can be helpful with or without beneficials because it contains, potassium, magnesium, iron and some other micros. I've heard it is also has some chelating properties. I brew teas with molasses and add this to my plants with good results. I run a chemical based rez that is separate from any sugar products. I also add beneficials to my coco before I plant. Good luck!

I recently just started my cloning beginnings just these past couple of days, and am currently brewing a tea with molasses to feed the bennies so I can inoculate my rockwool cubes. I have also come across a bit of information that mentioned cannabis' inability to absorb sugars through the root zone. Molasses is a complex sugar, though, meaning that it must be processed into glucose, which is what the plant actually uses. So it's great for beneficial bacteria to munch on, but not so much your plants. I'm curious if a diluted glucose solution applied directly to the root ball (main core of your roots just below the stem line) as where this is where your plant CAN ACTUALLY ABSORB THE SUGAR AT ALL, not sure how much, would do anything for them? Someone take this experiment idea and run with it please! I'm not set up yet, and I don't know very much yet. Still a Padawan. :)

Zen Medz

I recently just started my cloning beginnings just these past couple of days, and am currently brewing a tea with molasses to feed the bennies so I can inoculate my rockwool cubes. I have also come across a bit of information that mentioned cannabis' inability to absorb sugars through the root zone. Molasses is a complex sugar, though, meaning that it must be processed into glucose, which is what the plant actually uses. So it's great for beneficial bacteria to munch on, but not so much your plants. I'm curious if a diluted glucose solution applied directly to the root ball (main core of your roots just below the stem line) as where this is where your plant CAN ACTUALLY ABSORB THE SUGAR AT ALL, not sure how much, would do anything for them? Someone take this experiment idea and run with it please! I'm not set up yet, and I don't know very much yet. Still a Padawan. :)

Lovesponge, Hope the clones worked out for you. Takes some practice but anyone can do it with good technique. I'm not sure if you were planning on adding tea before or after the plants root? I personally wouldn't add any type of tea until after the cutts have rooted out and you've potted up.

I've read a lot about the ability of plants to absorb sugars through their root zone and it seems mixed. I honestly don't think adding a simple sugar to the root zone is going to do much for the plant but it WILL help bennies out. Plants do a really good job making sugars/carbs themselves. Here's a link to a good definition of photosynthesis and the calvin cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthesis