What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butte County

furrywall11

Anyone have their finger on the pulse of the medical marijuana situation there and are willing to share their info? I'm thinking of moving. Right now I'm in a county where the laws have changed significantly preventing me from growing my meds.

The plant counts are good in Butte but, I read that they're thinking of cutting them in half come January. Also, I had a friend who had a ten acre property just outside of Chico, was following all the ordinances but, still had all his plants "eradicated". I'm wondering if this is more common in Butte than other counties... Also, interested in crime levels.... I can name a few counties that should have the motto "There's lots of meth here, watch your ass.", and, I'd like to avoid that at all costs. :D I also noticed they have a 1 year County residency requirement; I feel like this is super ignorant -- I'm planning on buying a house and property, do you think they would actually uphold this?

Would appreciate the download on the scene there if anyone is feeling generous... HMU in PM or respond right here. Thanks!!

redlaser

Veteran
I'd be interested to see what Mitygrow didn't like about the area. I moved from Butte a year ago but not because I didn't like it. People overall very friendly, but of course there are those that aren't as well but you have that anywhere.

N

NorCalDreaming

I'd be interested to see what Mitygrow didn't like about the area. I moved from Butte a year ago but not because I didn't like it. People overall very friendly, but of course there are those that aren't as well but you have that anywhere.
Yeah Mity has no response yet. Last I knew Butte is very cool.

furrywall11

I've been spending some times up there the last few weeks. I'm sure there's the full spectrum but, basically, just low income good country folk so far. I heard a story about a guy who was doing a grow just a few miles outside of Chico and his plants were eradicated even though he was within the county limit.

I wouldn't mind hearing more about the people and the grow conditions if anyone has anything to offer...

M

mitygrows

Yes butte is not cool thay make up their own laws. The d.a mike Ramsey is a dick

furrywall11

I heard about the law change today. I had been considering this 40 acre property but, now, not so likely... I don't imagine many people will conform to the new law... Also, I think it will be modified. The supervisor is probably just making a strict law to back everyone off and then will come offering a more lenient law... 150 sq feet for 10 acres or more? Way too strict.

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
The latest from Butte County:

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/public-outcry-pushes-tighter-marijuana-rules-in-butte-county/-/14322302/23958210/-/37qtn2/-/index.html

The above article doesnt just apply to Butte County. Numerous counties are now on the "ban it all" bandwagon with more to follow. Whether they are successful remains to be seen but IMO, California cities and counties are now, just like in the past, under-estimating the powers of the Prop215. Right now, moving from one county to another in search of a more liberal med tolerances guarantees nothing: Today they like you, tomorrow they dont.

It isnt hard to understand "how" it is happening. 'Why", is a different matter.

How? By giving your local county building and planning divisions, who btw share an interlinked statewide "county playbook', the power to control all things medical mj thru the use of ordinances. Its a pretty crafty maneuver if you ask me. Not foolproof, as the Butte County boys discovered, but if you understand county thinking, they think its the greatest thing since sliced bread primarily because devising and drafting ordinances DOESNT REQUIRE a public vote. Sure, your county holds a public meeting and hosts the dog and pony show by letting all the good residents stand up and voice their opinions both pro & con but in the end, the planning commission does the voting. The new ordinance policy DOES get sent to the Board of Supervisors for final approval but when it comes to Prop215, generally speaking, the BOS is as clueless as the Planning Dept and so boom-bada-bing, we now have a new ordinance completely violating most or all things P215. The county kicker is, whether the new ordinance, over the long run, flies or not, it can take up to a year or more to rescind and in the meantime the ordinance is still enforceable with the usual county ordinance controls, violation fines etc.

For the participating county(s), the only thing that can go wrong with their easypeasy, throw it against the wall and see if it sticks ordinance-making process that ultimately prevents patients viable and realistic access to medicine is if, like in the case of Butte County, the good residents get up off their asses, call for a referendum and get the ordinance rescinded. At that point, everyone in the county camp, after wasting a lot of taxpayer dollars, usually has to answer the big question: 'What were you thinkin here fellas...?" and if we're lucky, some heads may roll.

I moved from Butte several years ago because of the long standing med-evil approach and non-compliance to P215. I relocated to what was, at the time, a more friendly county, to a city that at that time, had a minimum of 20 dispensaries. 3 years later only 3 dispensaries remain, and a month ago, a new ordinance, all but to be Ok'd by the BOS, bans indoor growing except within a county approved detached building or a county approved greenhouse and/or a cultivation ordinance that requires 10 acres or more to have an outdoor garden.

So, moving to "greener" pastures may not be the answer. Allowing ourselves to be chased from county to county while dragging the P215 behind like it was a dead body will achieve nothing either. Holding your present area county officials accountable to Prop215 guidelines, on your home turf...well, now thats doable...CC

N

NorCalDreaming

In reading what's happening in Cali makes my upcoming move to CO looking all the better.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Couldn't say it better, this is the trip in trinity Tehama Shasta and siskiyous county as well!

The latest from Butte County:

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/public-outcry-pushes-tighter-marijuana-rules-in-butte-county/-/14322302/23958210/-/37qtn2/-/index.html

The above article doesnt just apply to Butte County. Numerous counties are now on the "ban it all" bandwagon with more to follow. Whether they are successful remains to be seen but IMO, California cities and counties are now, just like in the past, under-estimating the powers of the Prop215. Right now, moving from one county to another in search of a more liberal med tolerances guarantees nothing: Today they like you, tomorrow they dont.

It isnt hard to understand "how" it is happening. 'Why", is a different matter.

How? By giving your local county building and planning divisions, who btw share an interlinked statewide "county playbook', the power to control all things medical mj thru the use of ordinances. Its a pretty crafty maneuver if you ask me. Not foolproof, as the Butte County boys discovered, but if you understand county thinking, they think its the greatest thing since sliced bread primarily because devising and drafting ordinances DOESNT REQUIRE a public vote. Sure, your county holds a public meeting and hosts the dog and pony show by letting all the good residents stand up and voice their opinions both pro & con but in the end, the planning commission does the voting. The new ordinance policy DOES get sent to the Board of Supervisors for final approval but when it comes to Prop215, generally speaking, the BOS is as clueless as the Planning Dept and so boom-bada-bing, we now have a new ordinance completely violating most or all things P215. The county kicker is, whether the new ordinance, over the long run, flies or not, it can take up to a year or more to rescind and in the meantime the ordinance is still enforceable with the usual county ordinance controls, violation fines etc.

For the participating county(s), the only thing that can go wrong with their easypeasy, throw it against the wall and see if it sticks ordinance-making process that ultimately prevents patients viable and realistic access to medicine is if, like in the case of Butte County, the good residents get up off their asses, call for a referendum and get the ordinance rescinded. At that point, everyone in the county camp, after wasting a lot of taxpayer dollars, usually has to answer the big question: 'What were you thinkin here fellas...?" and if we're lucky, some heads may roll.

I moved from Butte several years ago because of the long standing med-evil approach and non-compliance to P215. I relocated to what was, at the time, a more friendly county, to a city that at that time, had a minimum of 20 dispensaries. 3 years later only 3 dispensaries remain, and a month ago, a new ordinance, all but to be Ok'd by the BOS, bans indoor growing except within a county approved detached building or a county approved greenhouse and/or a cultivation ordinance that requires 10 acres or more to have an outdoor garden.

So, moving to "greener" pastures may not be the answer. Allowing ourselves to be chased from county to county while dragging the P215 behind like it was a dead body will achieve nothing either. Holding your present area county officials accountable to Prop215 guidelines, on your home turf...well, now thats doable...CC

N

NorCalDreaming

Couldn't say it better, this is the trip in trinity Tehama Shasta and siskiyous county as well!
I'm in Siskiyou and never a growing mecca. It's only like in the past 2 years I've been able to notice gardens as I drive by by sight or smell. All of the stuff around here basically small personal gardens. Was surprised to see even that knowing how strict they've been here over the years.

N

NorCalDreaming

I'm in Siskiyou and never a growing mecca. It's only like in the past 2 years I've been able to notice gardens as I drive by by sight or smell. All of the stuff around here basically small personal gardens. Was surprised to see even that knowing how strict they've been here over the years.
Did want to add down the street there's a large greenhouse, at least 20' x 40', with a suspicious looking fence very close. It's on a large piece of property and no reason I can see for a fence like that except to keep prying eyes away. My first thought was...cannabis. There's another large greenhouse setup a few acres away for a veggie type op and no privacy fence.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
well most of the folks i know are not taking the new ordinance seriously, we play the numbers game up here. if you ever got aerial in butte you wouldnt feel so bad about your 50 plant garden. they are literally everywhere, theres no way the BCSO can check them all. their main priorities in butte now are oil labs and people skipping on permit applications.

the ones who are going to be the low rung of the ladder and higher chance of compliance checks under new law will be residential grows in chico and oroville city limits, under 1k feet elevation and within 5 mile radius of downtown. their main complaints are all these people on .25 acre lots in subdivisions fillin up their entire backyards with pot. the idiots who keep drafting these new laws are all from chico which is less tolerant of OD growing.

stay in the outskirts and up in the mountains on properties of 10+ acres, and keep it under 99, and knock on wood like we do every year.

although i hear good things about calaveras county, if i didnt have all my people up in butte and was starting fresh somewhere i would definately check out calaveras up highway 4.

redlaser

Veteran
For what it's worth, the Butte County Board of Supervisor's voted Tuesday to strengthen restrictions on mmj. It seems to mostly affect properties of ten acres or more, and they are putting a limit at 150 square feet. Hopefully it can get overturned by a vote, but first signatures will have to be gathered for a referendum.