What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

bobblehead overtakes

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
If you run the foil covered OSB and tape the seams no gas will get out.

Just messing with you Fred about the black. Up here they put herbicides and pesticides in those tanks. Would stink to water with a herbicide.

5th

Veteran
5th.....not sure what you`re referring to usin strong netting on , but I was talkin bout buildin growrooms nice and strong outta the cheapest and easiest shit ta work with there is in the building industry....

I'm with you...as I reckon we all are...about strong n' cheap growrooms. I was thinking more about the ceiling mounted OSB or particle board, and using a lattice type structure on the ceiling to hook say...an extra circ. fan too...hooking a vert scrog screen to it...fuck I dunno...hang trimmed bud's from it I guess lol.

Where I'm from you either 1) cut down tree's, 2) process them in the mill, 3) drive truck to get them where they need to go, or 4) get the fuck out of that shithole before your 19.
lol...took awhile to figure 4) out...

Although you'd never loose your nugs if they glo'ed green
...now thats fukn bag appeal to the Nth degree...

bobblehead

Veteran
OSB`s not the same shit as particle board guys and it`s lil over 5 bucks a sheet round my parts , goes up well and tears down even easier usin sheetrock screws.....

Last I checked Anti sheetrock`s lil over 9 bucks a sheet and crumbles to shit when yas try ta remove it for a teardown to remove all evidence of a grow setup..... I`m just sayin........

Bobbles......Forgot ta tell yas bout lightproofin yer big rez`s to prevent algae growth in deep summer......spray them bitches black , black , and black again ....maybe you already knew this ?....anyways.....

Getchas lil powerhead ta keep everything stirred up constantly and you`ll be good ta go .....

Holler...Freds....:ying:.......

Yeah, I bought OSB, I was just mistaken on the difference in the names of the building materials. I'm no carpenter, so forgive me guys. My walls were lined with particle board. I could put my fist through that no problem. I wouldn't even try it with OSB.

I skipped out on the sheetrock for the reasons Freds stated, it crumbles to pieces. Everything is lined in Reflectix anyway, my racks are made of wood... If the shit catches fire, it's going down. lol... I can only hope that's what happens, and I get a big fat insurance check...

I didn't paint the res. My plan is to keep the tank room dark. I just have to swap out the lamp for a green one and I should be 100% light tight.

Particle boad isn't the same as OSB. Particle board is sawdust glued together. OSB is waferboard, they use chips of wood and glue them together.

Particle board n' waferboard are both shit...made with formaldahyde n' other nasty shit.

My:2cents:, hang strong netting.

Thanks for the clarification. FYI, formaldehyde isn't a hazardous when used in building materials. It's pretty stable. It stops things from growing on the wood and eating it. I did where a respirator during demolition however, cause I wouldn't want to breath those particles.

When was the last time you had a drink? Ethanol converts to formaldehyde in the liver... :tiphat:

LOL Ichabod......My point was that large rez`s can get stagnant if not stirred and aerated as well as light entering the opaque sides will most definitely form algae guaranteed.....

Black , black , and black again was me fuckin with Bobbles.....and also bout those caged tanks.........most of em I`ve ever seen down here were used for potable water , but not all are so ya`ll make sure when and if yas get one to make sure they`re "food grade" for safety`s sake....

5th.....not sure what you`re referring to usin strong netting on , but I was talkin bout buildin growrooms nice and strong outta the cheapest and easiest shit ta work with there is in the building industry....

Never had no nugs glow in the dark or formaldehyde offgassin and killin my plants in over 15 yrs inside so......

I`m just sayin.....anyways...Bobbles.....caught yer second wind yet ?........

Merry Xmas vertheads....Freds....:ying:...

Yeah bro, I'm in overdrive now. All is not lost, this holiday season I am grateful for family, the few friends I have, and Forbid 4F. My tree grow is looking healthy and headed into 2 weeks. Definitely a bit stunted from the mites, but better than a lost rotation like my other room, which is revegging finally. I really thought I lost my ass this time.
picture.php

If you run the foil covered OSB and tape the seams no gas will get out.

Just messing with you Fred about the black. Up here they put herbicides and pesticides in those tanks. Would stink to water with a herbicide.

No worries, my reservoirs are safe. I hope... lol... I flushed with detergent, so that should have taken care of any residue. If the I've check the RO EC and it's .1, down from .9, from the tap, and .1 in the tank. I'm happy with that.

bobblehead

Veteran
I'll start with the nice... Lake Michigan.
picture.php

picture.php

and on to the ugly... I had no intention of doing what I did, but I couldn't help myself. You see this beam? It's sagging. So is my roof in this section of the house. So I go buy a jack post, and start jacking it up, thinking I'm going to raise the rood up where it belongs. Nope.
picture.php

I ripped down the ceiling when i realized it was all hodge-podged together. Nothing can stand in the way of my overtake. Not doors, walls, or ceilings.
picture.php

And so long story short now I have 8' ceilings. My dad gave me some good advice. He said to not put a whole lot of money into fixing the place up until I have it paid off... cause for w/e reason should the original owners decide they want the place back... So basically I'm just tearing shit up to bare bones, and building grow rooms that will probably turn into bedrooms later... :) The roof is better supported now than it was, so that the problem won't progress. Anyway, I think this sort of thing should be corrected slowly? I doubt it warped overnight, so It probably won't bend back overnight?
picture.php

and the veg... I should have kept the clones in small containers, so it's going a little slow, but it'll get there... I'm not so worried now that the trees are ok.
picture.php

silver hawaiian

Veteran
a) How's the big tree vert flower goin'? <-- Edit. Ignore this question.

b) If you bought on a Land Contract, you're under contract for [term] for the option to buy the house. That is, it's a bi-lateral gimmick. The owner can't just decide "Meh, I'll take the house back." Your down payment (presuming there was one?) essentially bought you the option to purchase that home during the term of the LC.

But, I don't know the specifics of the deal, .. Just thinking out aloud. :respect:

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
now I understand why you were so tired last week! Holy shit and I thought I had some " issues" to deal with....you know great minds think alike....I am looking for a place to possibly do a 10-15k tree grow!

Your going to succeed my friend....THAT I have no doubt of!

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Bobble those 1X6 boards that run side to side need to be looked at. I can't say that this is a problem for you or not. Often the rafters will push the walls out on the bottoms of the rafters. The ceiling will prevent this from happening as well as those 1X6 boards. Over time the wood will dry and crack where it has been nailed to the rafters. If this happens it pushes the walls out and causes the center of the roof to sag. For your benefit I would make sure this has not happened. If it has just renail the board to the rafter. If you are real ambitious you could replumb the wall before you do this. If the 1X6 is to far gone to renail just get a new board and nail it on the other side of the rafter or to the rafter next to it. Like I said I can't tell if yours is doing this or not. But a quick look will tell you if it is. Besides the last thing you want is the roof to overload with snow and come down on your crop.

Can't wait to see more.

D

DHF

As stated earlier......My boy`s a fuckin machine.....1 man demolition team.....

Don`t mean dick what that hull of a house looks like today , only what you can turn it into once it`s time to move on to the next project for safety`s sake.......so..... as you said.....

As yas build walls underneath all that cobbled up bull shit it`ll strengthen up the structure...holler if yas need any structural info.....

Gonna take a few bucks ta make it purdy but hey....once you`re through growin yer ass off and payin for said property in full , it`s all icin on da cake for passive income in yer golden yrs ya heard ?.....

Carry on Bro....Freds....:ying:.......

bobblehead

Veteran
a) How's the big tree vert flower goin'? <-- Edit. Ignore this question.

b) If you bought on a Land Contract, you're under contract for [term] for the option to buy the house. That is, it's a bi-lateral gimmick. The owner can't just decide "Meh, I'll take the house back." Your down payment (presuming there was one?) essentially bought you the option to purchase that home during the term of the LC.

But, I don't know the specifics of the deal, .. Just thinking out aloud. :respect:

I'm not anticipating a problem... It's just a "what if" situation. I should have the house paid off before I remodel, b/c should something happen, so that I default on a payment, or after 3 yrs they call the loan... I'm not gonna lose more than I should. A bank isn't going to forclose after 2-3 late payments. A private owner might.

It's going to take 15-20lbs to pay for the house. My goal is at least 50lbs over the next year. Needless to say, as long as 2012 goes right, I'll have this house paid for and remodeled, and be on to the next 2.

now I understand why you were so tired last week! Holy shit and I thought I had some " issues" to deal with....you know great minds think alike....I am looking for a place to possibly do a 10-15k tree grow!

Your going to succeed my friend....THAT I have no doubt of!

No rest for the wicked... This is sink or swim.

Bobble those 1X6 boards that run side to side need to be looked at. I can't say that this is a problem for you or not. Often the rafters will push the walls out on the bottoms of the rafters. The ceiling will prevent this from happening as well as those 1X6 boards. Over time the wood will dry and crack where it has been nailed to the rafters. If this happens it pushes the walls out and causes the center of the roof to sag. For your benefit I would make sure this has not happened. If it has just renail the board to the rafter. If you are real ambitious you could replumb the wall before you do this. If the 1X6 is to far gone to renail just get a new board and nail it on the other side of the rafter or to the rafter next to it. Like I said I can't tell if yours is doing this or not. But a quick look will tell you if it is. Besides the last thing you want is the roof to overload with snow and come down on your crop.

Can't wait to see more.

You hit the nail on the head.... Those 1x6 are detached, and the sides are bowing out where the rood sags. I figure I have to push it up in the middle with some bottle jacks, like pitching a tent, and then put in new/more reinforcements.

What are your thoughts?

As stated earlier......My boy`s a fuckin machine.....1 man demolition team.....

Don`t mean dick what that hull of a house looks like today , only what you can turn it into once it`s time to move on to the next project for safety`s sake.......so..... as you said.....

As yas build walls underneath all that cobbled up bull shit it`ll strengthen up the structure...holler if yas need any structural info.....

Gonna take a few bucks ta make it purdy but hey....once you`re through growin yer ass off and payin for said property in full , it`s all icin on da cake for passive income in yer golden yrs ya heard ?.....

Carry on Bro....Freds....:ying:.......

I got a good deal on the house... But next time I'm gonna look in the attic. Lol...

It's not important... This place is gonna pay for itself in 6 months, and pay for the next 2... Eventually I'll own a chunk of the lake and forrest in the area, and I'm gonna retire in paradise... Cause MI isn't so bad after having traveled the world and seeing what's out there... Yeah it's cold and we have snow 6 months out of the year... But it's home. Just gotta burn more lights to keep the house warm.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
If you need to push up the ridge beam here is one way.

1. Make sure the rafters are securely fastened to the ridge beam.
2. Install some eye screws to the top or middle plat on the walls across the house from each other.
3. Get a come along and stretch it across the house and attach to the eye hooks.
4. Ratchet it in till the wall is plumb. (make sure that the rafters do not come loose at the ridge beam.)
5. Install a new ceiling joist to the side of the rafter.

This will push up the ridge beam up and replumb the walls. It will be a pain in the butt and you may need to do some parts a little at a time and come back and do them again. Do the best you can moving down the wall and come back and do the areas you could not get in one pass. Because you may need to come back leave your nails out a little so you can pull them out if needed. When you are done you can drive them in all the way.

Best of luck.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
goddamn that sounds tempting Bobble, IF i didn't love the beach so much i would come join you in the woods, my older bro lives in roscommon MI. what can i say, im a warm weather guy, even the 831 is too cold for me right now, and flooded with herb.. seriously considering a move to Hawaii, problem is i dont know many people out there..

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn right the 831 is flooded Shcrews....but I am never going to live anywhere else, I may OWN AND RENT elsewhere but my heart belongs by the pacific...and I love the temperate weather but it has been cold.

Bobble your like John in the wilderness preaching to the fallen, lead us on and show us the way...hallelujah!

bobblehead

Veteran
If you need to push up the ridge beam here is one way.

1. Make sure the rafters are securely fastened to the ridge beam.
2. Install some eye screws to the top or middle plat on the walls across the house from each other.
3. Get a come along and stretch it across the house and attach to the eye hooks.
4. Ratchet it in till the wall is plumb. (make sure that the rafters do not come loose at the ridge beam.)
5. Install a new ceiling joist to the side of the rafter.

This will push up the ridge beam up and replumb the walls. It will be a pain in the butt and you may need to do some parts a little at a time and come back and do them again. Do the best you can moving down the wall and come back and do the areas you could not get in one pass. Because you may need to come back leave your nails out a little so you can pull them out if needed. When you are done you can drive them in all the way.

Best of luck.

How about I use steel cable to hold the rafters in place between tightenings, and then add joists when everything is where it should be.

Is there a way to tell when everything is plumb, other than sight? I'm no carpenter, but I can swing a hammer... Ya just gotta tell what to look for. Thanks a bunch, I appreciate this.

goddamn that sounds tempting Bobble, IF i didn't love the beach so much i would come join you in the woods, my older bro lives in roscommon MI. what can i say, im a warm weather guy, even the 831 is too cold for me right now, and flooded with herb.. seriously considering a move to Hawaii, problem is i dont know many people out there..

I'm just saying... we're the "3rd coast"... surrounded by 4/5 of the some of the largest bodies of fresh water on the planet. You can't go more than 5 miles in any direction w/o encountering a body of water. Of course you know all this, having family here... :) I hate the cold, but I really hate high power bills to keep things cool. I stay inside cause it's too hot outside, I stay inside cause it's too cold... it's all the same. I can use my savings to take a trip to South America for a week or 2. Plane tickets to Lima, Peru, are $600 round trip on Spirit. Cheaper if you join the $9 fare club.

Have I ever mentioned that I have a visa for Bolivia? lol... If anyone knows how to disappear, it's this guy.

Damn right the 831 is flooded Shcrews....but I am never going to live anywhere else, I may OWN AND RENT elsewhere but my heart belongs by the pacific...and I love the temperate weather but it has been cold.

Bobble your like John in the wilderness preaching to the fallen, lead us on and show us the way...hallelujah!

lol... I'm no preacher. I'm just sharing my adventure, exchanging ideas with people across the world... One of the things I've noticed in my world travels, is that when it comes down to it, we're all the same. We all have the same feelings and basic desires. The cultural differences are minor. We all need a roof over our head, food in our stomach, and hopefully a few people worth keeping around... And we all have the same problem, not enough money. lol...

Anyway, what's important to me is my family, because friends come and go, and most of them aren't worth shit... but family is irreplaceable, you either have it or you don't. I do, I have all 4 of my grandparents, and they're married, as are my parents. That's rare in today's world, and so I cherish that.

Anyway... I think this thread is about an overtake...

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Grab your self a nice 8 foot Stabilia level. Plumb, level and square is in your future.

aod

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
You don't really have to plumb the walls so much as straighten them. If you put a nail in each corner and run a string down the wall you can tell if the wall is straight when the gap disappears between the center of the wall and the string. If you have a level it is easy to check the wall for plumb but the string will keep the wall straight. You can see a wall is not straight more than if it is not plumb. Some times it is more desirable to have the wall straight than plumb..

To keep the rafters from shifting on the ridge board just take a board and nail it to the top of the rafter and to the top of the rafter on the other side of the ridge board. Nail this just under the ridge board. You also don't want the bottom of the rafter sliding off of the outside wall so make sure that the connection between the rafter and the wall is secure as well.

As for the cable that is fine you just don't want the wall to slip back to where it is after you spend all your time getting it back in place.

D

DHF

Looks like Icky`s drove a nail or 2 in his day but.....fixin shit at this point`s not needed.....Most small older homes are built with a load bearing wall down the middle front to back ta brace the ridgeboard straight up and angle braces/perling are supposedta be put in every other rafter , and wind beams/collar ties like those long ass bullshit 1 by`s you`ve got are supposedta be on every other rafter that don`t have the angle braces ......in a perfect world....

Bro....build them bedrooms/bloom rooms and get ta work ....all that obsessive compulsive behavior will be rewarded once shit`s paid for , so don`t worry bout saggin roofs and structural bullshit cuz if yas start focusin on fixin the house you`ll lose sight of the most important thing as in providing environment for the portfolio pkg....only so many hrs in a day....don`t overwhelm yerself my buddy....

Do what`s needed bare minimum and get ta flippin rooms....gonna take some time ta get rotations flippin behind each other regular , so when it gets ta where we needta remodel this bitch once things are hoonin and there`s revenue comin in I`ll show yas howta cover the outside in cheapass maintenance free vinyl siding for curb appeal , and howta do as much as is needed on the inside for future tenants....anyways....

Been buildin new and remodelin old houses for 35 yrs.....know a lil bit about it....keep yer eyes on da prize and don`t sweat the little things....onward and upward....

Family`s EVERYTHING.....I`ve got friends that I consider fam but they earned it....nuthin comes easy....

Peace....Freds.....:ying:....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I agree with Fred. Nail the 1X6 in place so it don't spread any farther, then get to building your inside rooms. This is not the time to learn how to frame a house. You need to get it going then pay some one later to help you. You will make more with the rooms than doing a small frame repair job.

I have built a bird house once I think. Yeh at Home Depot with the kids. There has to be like 15-16 nails their.

bobblehead

Veteran
Grab your self a nice 8 foot Stabilia level. Plumb, level and square is in your future.

aod

lol... That's why I have a Home Depot card... I might have to hit up some estate sales to pick up some power tools cheap.

You don't really have to plumb the walls so much as straighten them. If you put a nail in each corner and run a string down the wall you can tell if the wall is straight when the gap disappears between the center of the wall and the string. If you have a level it is easy to check the wall for plumb but the string will keep the wall straight. You can see a wall is not straight more than if it is not plumb. Some times it is more desirable to have the wall straight than plumb..

To keep the rafters from shifting on the ridge board just take a board and nail it to the top of the rafter and to the top of the rafter on the other side of the ridge board. Nail this just under the ridge board. You also don't want the bottom of the rafter sliding off of the outside wall so make sure that the connection between the rafter and the wall is secure as well.

As for the cable that is fine you just don't want the wall to slip back to where it is after you spend all your time getting it back in place.

Looks like Icky`s drove a nail or 2 in his day but.....fixin shit at this point`s not needed.....Most small older homes are built with a load bearing wall down the middle front to back ta brace the ridgeboard straight up and angle braces/perling are supposedta be put in every other rafter , and wind beams/collar ties like those long ass bullshit 1 by`s you`ve got are supposedta be on every other rafter that don`t have the angle braces ......in a perfect world....

Bro....build them bedrooms/bloom rooms and get ta work ....all that obsessive compulsive behavior will be rewarded once shit`s paid for , so don`t worry bout saggin roofs and structural bullshit cuz if yas start focusin on fixin the house you`ll lose sight of the most important thing as in providing environment for the portfolio pkg....only so many hrs in a day....don`t overwhelm yerself my buddy....

Do what`s needed bare minimum and get ta flippin rooms....gonna take some time ta get rotations flippin behind each other regular , so when it gets ta where we needta remodel this bitch once things are hoonin and there`s revenue comin in I`ll show yas howta cover the outside in cheapass maintenance free vinyl siding for curb appeal , and howta do as much as is needed on the inside for future tenants....anyways....

Been buildin new and remodelin old houses for 35 yrs.....know a lil bit about it....keep yer eyes on da prize and don`t sweat the little things....onward and upward....

Family`s EVERYTHING.....I`ve got friends that I consider fam but they earned it....nuthin comes easy....

Peace....Freds.....:ying:....

I agree with Fred. Nail the 1X6 in place so it don't spread any farther, then get to building your inside rooms. This is not the time to learn how to frame a house. You need to get it going then pay some one later to help you. You will make more with the rooms than doing a small frame repair job.

I have built a bird house once I think. Yeh at Home Depot with the kids. There has to be like 15-16 nails their.

Thanks a bunch guys. I didn't realize how much work would be involved in fixing the roof correctly... being why I asked. I am easily distracted sometimes, so I'll take your guys advice and leave it as-is after driving in a few nails.

Respect for you contractors types... cause I couldn't put my body through the relentless beatings every day. I have to say that the weight lifting I've done is what's getting me through this, cause a sledge isn't light to swing... and swinging a hammer for my Dad and that one summer I spent being a gopher for a contractor... all coming in handy right about now.

Ichabob, I definitely intend to hire a professional. I want to find someone who'll be close to the job, so they can make sure shit gets done. I'm 3hs away so it'll be too much for me to be checking on progress and keeping tabs on subcontractors.

Lately I've been thinking about going pro... dedicating myself to this 100%. 10yrs in the cannabis industry and I can retire... but then what? So I'm gonna keep pushing through these books and stick to what I'm best at. I'll make enough money to pay for the contractors. This is how the economy grows...