What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHOgart Extractor Thread

Hash Man

Use a cylinder volume calculator to figure the total volume
of your extraction pot. 12x12? 50 cans would be about 16lb or a little over 3gal.
12x12 is 1,357 in3. A gallon of butane takes up around 280in3. So you pot could
hold almost 5 gal full. So 50 cans should be fine. But check me...

Correct me if I am wrong. A full collection pot with 50 cans in it needs more room for the vapor head. U will suck liquid through your appion. Also, butane expands under heat. My 2.5 unit sucked liquid through the top of the collection pot with 12 cans...

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would a certified aerospace welder be necessary if one were using a kit purchased from Specialized Formulations?

Much thanks, reverence and blessings to you and the Skunk Pharm crew.

Specialized Formulations uses one of the best aerospace welders that I met in my professional career and whom I turned them on to. Their kit should just screw together.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Correct me if I am wrong. A full collection pot with 50 cans in it needs more room for the vapor head. U will suck liquid through your appion. Also, butane expands under heat. My 2.5 unit sucked liquid through the top of the collection pot with 12 cans...

Not sure how Matt calculates capacity on his units, but I try to keep the evaporating pool at least 6 inches from the pump intake.

To calculate volume, I use .7854 X D2 X length.

To calculate weight, I use In3 X .0361lb/in3 weight of water, X .601 specific gravity of butane = lbs butane.

For the holding tank, you can only use an 80% fill, due to possible hydraulics from heat. IE: A 50# tank holds 50# of water full, or 40 lbs at 80% fill. 40 X .601 = 24 lbs of butane

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran

Full to the top, your collection pot would hold 17lbs of butane.
Or 1.7lbs per inch. With six inches to the top it would hold 6.8lbs or 20.4 cans. Plus quite a bit gets held by the material.

Hash Man

Full to the top, your collection pot would hold 17lbs of butane.
Or 1.7lbs per inch. With six inches to the top it would hold 6.8lbs or 20.4 cans. Plus quite a bit gets held by the material.

Are you accounting for heat expansion. If i dip my collection pot in warm water when it is full i suck liquid through my filter towards my appion. Even with 12 cans.

Also if you are tapping 50 cans through your bhogart and using the tank that came with it..

- you will take so long tapping that your extraction will be darker cause it basically soaked the material.
- the pressure release valve will go off on your recovery tank cause its not meant to hold that much solvent.

My tank in meant to hold 10-12 cans , i cant see putting 20 through unless i had a larger recovery tank And was doing no heat extractions to keep the tane condensed.

I hate opening the1/4" flare on top of my collection pot and seeing good oil at the tip.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I think I have the same solvent tank as you do. 6"x12" yes?
It has a volume of 339 cubic inches. There is 231 cubic inches in a gallon.
So full up, the tank could hold 1.46 gal of butane. But we need 20% headspace.
So the safe-full amount is 1.17 gal = 5.61lbs of butane or 16.8 cans.

I currently have 5.2lbs in my can with no problems. (15 or so cans)
So even if you had 5.6lbs in the can (max) it would only be 3.3" of butane in the bottom of your collection pot.
Does your lid have a 3" extension coming out the bottom that you clamp your coffee filters to?
Do you bag out your filters or have them tight against the nipple?

furrywall11

50 cans = 15,000ml / 3785ml = 3.96 gallons.... So, I put 3.96 gallons of water in my 12"x12" extraction pot and it filled it 3" from the top.... by this I judged that I could not safely flush 50 cans through my column as once.. I was considering though, what if I angled the black hose that goes from the extraction pot to the appion straight up for 18" and then straight across to the appion? .. wouldn't this create the extra space needed between the inlet and the butane?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think I have the same solvent tank as you do. 6"x12" yes?
It has a volume of 339 cubic inches. There is 231 cubic inches in a gallon.
So full up, the tank could hold 1.46 gal of butane. But we need 20% headspace.
So the safe-full amount is 1.17 gal = 5.61lbs of butane or 16.8 cans.

I currently have 5.2lbs in my can with no problems. (15 or so cans)
So even if you had 5.6lbs in the can (max) it would only be 3.3" of butane in the bottom of your collection pot.
Does your lid have a 3" extension coming out the bottom that you clamp your coffee filters to?
Do you bag out your filters or have them tight against the nipple?

Make sure to use the ID of your container when calculating volume. A sanitary fitting size is given in OD, and with ~1/8" wall, leaving about 5.75 ID, or closer to 312 cubic inches.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
50 cans = 15,000ml / 3785ml = 3.96 gallons.... So, I put 3.96 gallons of water in my 12"x12" extraction pot and it filled it 3" from the top.... by this I judged that I could not safely flush 50 cans through my column as once.. I was considering though, what if I angled the black hose that goes from the extraction pot to the appion straight up for 18" and then straight across to the appion? .. wouldn't this create the extra space needed between the inlet and the butane?

No, it is also about velocity at the orifice where the hose connects to the lid, which wouldn't change by running it straight up. It only changes with less gas flow through the same size hole, or a larger hole.

18" of 1/5" ID hose, is about 3.5 inches cubed and the missing three inches of the 11.75" ID can is about 325 cubic inches, so not even close in compensating for the volume.

Never forget what the pool of butane and oil are doing wildly under vacuum.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Make sure to use the ID of your container when calculating volume. A sanitary fitting size is given in OD, and with ~1/8" wall, leaving about 5.75 ID, or closer to 312 cubic inches.

Good point GW! They are not made from sanitary spools, however.
They are just 6" stainless tube with ends welded on.
But I think you are right about it being 6" OD. But it might
be 1/16 which would make the ID 5.87 or around 324 cubic inches.

dirkvid

Hey, love the thread and all the info being shared thanks everyone. I'm getting ready to order up some stuff to get a smaller unit going. What besides the "kit" purchase from bhogart would I need to go out and get?? I'm digging for a parts list and best prices of course.
thanks again for all the info and i'm sure to update my progress here.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
He gives you everything you need except the vac pump and the appion.
You can get some good vac-pump & chamber deals on ebay.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Just wanna chime in as to how much I dig my Bhogart....
It's awesome, capable, simple, and affordable. There are some upgrades
I would recomend, but as a system, it's solid. If anyone has any
questions about my setup, feel free to send them my way...

RHH

How much trim(in lb) are you guys realistically fitting into the 3x48 column on the 2.5lb unit? Be honest.

Snype

Veteran
Just wanna chime in as to how much I dig my Bhogart....
It's awesome, capable, simple, and affordable. There are some upgrades
I would recomend, but as a system, it's solid. If anyone has any
questions about my setup, feel free to send them my way...

Im almost ready to place an order on the 1 pound model. It says on the website I can get a 2x36 or 3x36. How much trim does the 2" hold compard to the 3"?

Also what upgrades would you recomend?

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
The 3x36 holds between 300 and 600g comfortably. 300 not packed too tight with
some space at the top. 600 crammed full.

RHH

The 3x36 holds between 300 and 600g comfortably. 300 not packed too tight with
some space at the top. 600 crammed full.

We run 600-700g in the 3x48... which is 1.5lb in the 2.5lb unit. That's about the most we can do.

Buyers should be aware that the stated capacities are for buds--not trim.

nakadashi

We run 600-700g in the 3x48... which is 1.5lb in the 2.5lb unit. That's about the most we can do.

Buyers should be aware that the stated capacities are for buds--not trim.
I run 200-230g in a 1.5"x24" but it requires TIGHT packing with a dowel and hammer with a dowel and hammer.

Just received some 3" x 24" and was expecting to be able to pack 600g in there but now that I have seen some of the results here, that may have been overly optimistic.