What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Macro photography 101

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
MOnkey are those cricket legs good eatin? Ya know I passed up purchasing the MP-e for some reversing rings etc that I haven't used yet....you keep posting images this nice and you'll talk me back into that lens...Dr. Duck.

B

bonecarver_OG

awesome pics :)

ive been thinking of getting the MP 65 too, its very neat!

for the moment nature photography is what recieves the mayor part of my effort.

the worst part with photography is the prices of the lenses, and to get a complete allround setup of lenses is very costy. its going to take time :D

nice thread :D

M0nkey

yes its me gromer....:)

yer the mpe 65 and mt25-ex ring flash isnt cheape..for them 2 it cost me 2200$,,but dam was it worth it..

26351fly.jpg

Last edited:
G

I use a sony cybershot, fits into my shirt pocket....only thing it does is take good close up pics

1624DSC01148-med.JPG

G

ok you guys great stuff. I have been searching for this very subject. What I want to know is what is a good all around camera that will take real good close ups and other general pics as well and wont set me back to much money . say $200 to 350 range and not have to buy extra lenes and bigger flash. Monkey that shot of that bugs eyes is awsome.

M0nkey

grizz said:
ok you guys great stuff. I have been searching for this very subject. What I want to know is what is a good all around camera that will take real good close ups and other general pics as well and wont set me back to much money . say $200 to 350 range and not have to buy extra lenes and bigger flash. Monkey that shot of that bugs eyes is awsome.
imo u need a 2nd hand nikon d50 withj 18-55mm lens..your be so happy with that!..look on ebay or 2nd hand canon slr mayby 300d? with 15-55mm lens..

grea shots hill billy..:)

S

strain_searcher

I have a D50 , macro lense from 1977 micro Nikkor 105mm 1:4. full manual .To get in even tighter I have a Tc-201 2X teleconverter that goes between lense and camera. The one thing I really want to add would be a ring flash. I have some crazy insect macs I need to upload as well. I never use a tripod either.

G

strain searcer iam impressed. looks like just what i need but would really like it to be digital. what are my options?

S

strain_searcher

I have a nikon D50 dslr digital camera. The advantage is you are not stuck with just one lense. The only problem there is lenses can run bewteen $200 and $1600. I have 3 lenses one obviously is the macro. You can also get an all in one camera like Hillie who takes pretty amazing pics with a camera he can fit in his pocket.

G

I have a kodak v1003 that I took the pics in my gallery with, but I cant get a good pic every time. Yeah I camera illiterat. It seem that lighting is my biggest problem. the instruction manual doesent go into any detail on how to use it at all, and transfering pics to the web is a pain in the ass because i have to go through kodak easy share.

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
There are some really impressive picture in here. I've been wanting to learn how to take better macros. I'll be pulling up a seat.

FRizzo

BoB91

Nice shots

Nice shots

Hey monkey I too want to thank you for this thread. You have laid things out nice and simple for all of us who are not photographers. I have a nikon d50. I usually just play with the settings till I get a good shot. But now I know I need an external flash(if thats what you call them). Thanks again.