What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deep WC vs Shallow WC

Hey men,
do you think that "deep" is mandatory? I mean instead of deep bucket if i use more a flat one, with maybe 2 air stones instead of one, is it an issue?
Just a thought!!!

bigbadbillybob

no a deep bucket isnt really a requirement, a shallower one works just as well, if not bettter. the shallow bucket will have more surface area for dissolved oxygen. it would also have a better rate of cooling for the nutes due to its iincreased surface area.
as long as there is nutrient for the roots to bath in and movement of the nutrient on the surface from airstones it will work fine.

bigbadbillybob

ithe nutrient capacity at the bottom of the bucket is pretty important.
if you dont want to be topping it up twice a day in blooom, and see varying ph and ec levels. the more nutrient in there, the more stable the ph and ec will be.

ithe nutrient capacity at the bottom of the bucket is pretty important.
if you dont want to be topping it up twice a day in blooom, and see varying ph and ec levels. the more nutrient in there, the more stable the ph and ec will be.

Smaller the rez, faster the disaster

Northernhemis

Just try man ! its real simple with the dwc dont bother with a 2 inch tray go for a bucket lets say 10-20 liters(dont know the gallon size) and just build it with a nice little cup with holes init or a bought one (dont recall the name ) stones on the bottom and connect the pump use a ppm meter and a ph meter not above 6.5 in ph nor under use nutes to fix the ph you understand ? if you have to much nutes it will stir up your ph just a tip just measure and youre set. if you need more nutritions use ph down or up theres severeal i used some for pools not the best idea buuuut lemonjuice also works ..... its fun to grow it should be just fun ! overe here in cold assed northsweden the cops are hailing down as the snow falls real nuseans until the government get their head back from spain/germany and see how the peeeps here are feelin , im on a break from smokin for that driverslicense a dui on drugs gets you here in sweden for a long time especially over here in the friggin snow .

hope youl get the stuff upp running and able to show us ! / Paul from Norrbotten Sweden

Just try man ! its real simple with the dwc dont bother with a 2 inch tray go for a bucket lets say 10-20 liters(dont know the gallon size) and just build it with a nice little cup with holes init or a bought one (dont recall the name ) stones on the bottom and connect the pump use a ppm meter and a ph meter not above 6.5 in ph nor under use nutes to fix the ph you understand ? if you have to much nutes it will stir up your ph just a tip just measure and youre set. if you need more nutritions use ph down or up theres severeal i used some for pools not the best idea buuuut lemonjuice also works ..... its fun to grow it should be just fun ! overe here in cold assed northsweden the cops are hailing down as the snow falls real nuseans until the government get their head back from spain/germany and see how the peeeps here are feelin , im on a break from smokin for that driverslicense a dui on drugs gets you here in sweden for a long time especially over here in the friggin snow .

hope youl get the stuff upp running and able to show us ! / Paul from Norrbotten Sweden
Thank you man. I did a try with 18 liters flat buckets and 2 air stones

meltybubble

Smaller the rez, faster the disaster

Aint that the truth, with any inert medium more mass gives more control.
When changes in ec, temp, humidity etc they are so quick to droop and fade until corrected, nothing as shocking to see them droop, happens so fast but I must add they will always pick up once corrected, ec, ph, etc.
Bigger root mass allows much more control, to a point.
Flora Flex have a great system allowing a small root mass over the life span. Got it down to a T with coco.
Love DWC also, what’s not to like eah
I gotta add, the hardest part of growing this method can be pump failure or initial set up, rest, does itself with a little help.
Nothing as astounding as NFT imho, total control as with DWC. ;))
KISS
peace

alpo

Aint that the truth, with any inert medium more mass gives more control.
When changes in ec, temp, humidity etc they are so quick to droop and fade until corrected, nothing as shocking to see them droop, happens so fast but I must add they will always pick up once corrected, ec, ph, etc.
Bigger root mass allows much more control, to a point.
Flora Flex have a great system allowing a small root mass over the life span. Got it down to a T with coco.
Love DWC also, what’s not to like eah
I gotta add, the hardest part of growing this method can be pump failure or initial set up, rest, does itself with a little help.
Nothing as astounding as NFT imho, total control as with DWC. ;))
KISS
peace

Which FloraFlex system are you talking about?

They are just fine. They drink the mix until there is nothing in it. When i make the top off, the ec is the ec of my tap water...:)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

bigbadbillybob

this was in fairly shallow water culture. it was in a tote no more than 350mm high in total (less net pot) so probably 150mm of water. it was a 64 litre tote when full so possibly 25-30 litres, but a good surface area. it had 2 airstones, one cheap pump, and filled every day or two

got 26 odd ounces from it

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
this was in fairly shallow water culture. it was in a tote no more than 350mm high in total (less net pot) so probably 150mm of water. it was a 64 litre tote when full so possibly 25-30 litres, but a good surface area. it had 2 airstones, one cheap pump, and filled every day or two

got 26 odd ounces from itView Image

The idea that yankeespirit presented was a for the most part a throw away set up.. one of the things that appeals to me is after each grow everything except the base foundation is thrown away and next run started with fresh new components. He's talking 2-3" of water circulated and aerated by 1 mag pump. I've done similar to your set up and yes, it worked very well but I'd like to deal with less water in the system. Been running the PPKs for years and not sure I'm going to change now but Yankeespirits' set up is intriguing to me, but if I do change it might be SWC.

toastfighter2

When I first started growing in hydro, I set up a NGB style cabinet and used under the bed totes. Ran with it for about 2 plus years, but it was super finicky. First couple of weeks are fine(ish, you might be able to go somewhere overnight), but once they start really drinking water, there is no buffer. You might want to consider flood and drain, or even a drip system. I know that once I upgraded to flood and drain I was so mad that I had made it so labor intensive for myself for so long.

YoungBreeder

When I first started growing in hydro, I set up a NGB style cabinet and used under the bed totes. Ran with it for about 2 plus years, but it was super finicky. First couple of weeks are fine(ish, you might be able to go somewhere overnight), but once they start really drinking water, there is no buffer. You might want to consider flood and drain, or even a drip system. I know that once I upgraded to flood and drain I was so mad that I had made it so labor intensive for myself for so long.

I Actually did switch recently the end of last year and i felt the EXACT same way smh. stuff in my ways or no reason !