What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nicotine & Nicorette for Pain Relief ?

WelderDan

Veteran
Yeah, I gotta agree with everyone on having it looked at by a Dentist and getting antibiotics for that infection. I had all my top teeth pulled due to a poor dental care. Luckily I didn't have any infection, just broken teeth and cavities. Chronic tooth infection can lead to heart disease. Get that taken care of.

But on a lighter note, a good pain reliever for a simple toothache is Raisins. Yep, good old dried grapes. Chew them up and hold the wad of chewed raisins on the sore tooth, or between the gum and cheek and it will relieve the pain of mild toothaches. It's an old home remedy, and it works.

But don't use raisins in place of good dental care. It will get you through a weekend until you can get an appointment though.

Been in this boat more than once, I don't envy you. Stay determined, eventually you will find the right doctor that believes you and fixes things. I went through 3 ortho surgeons before one finally told me my shoulder wasn't normal and needed surgery.

Warm salt water rinses help with infections, keeps blood moving through the infected area. Ice can help with inflammation if placed on the cheek, or hold cold ice cream over area in your mouth. Try grain alcohol rinse too, the higher potency over standard whiskey is a better disinfectant and local analgesic. If you have shatter, you can dissolve it in grain alcohol, and place drops on the affected area, this helps a lot for me and tooth pain. Diluted peroxide rinse can work as debriding agent and keep the area clean, there are premixed mouth washes available at most pharmacies.

Smith1981

Been in this boat more than once, I don't envy you. Stay determined, eventually you will find the right doctor that believes you and fixes things. I went through 3 ortho surgeons before one finally told me my shoulder wasn't normal and needed surgery.

Warm salt water rinses help with infections, keeps blood moving through the infected area. Ice can help with inflammation if placed on the cheek, or hold cold ice cream over area in your mouth. Try grain alcohol rinse too, the higher potency over standard whiskey is a better disinfectant and local analgesic. If you have shatter, you can dissolve it in grain alcohol, and place drops on the affected area, this helps a lot for me and tooth pain. Diluted peroxide rinse can work as debriding agent and keep the area clean, there are premixed mouth washes available at most pharmacies.

Is my wisdom tooth inflamed. Sometimes pus is discharged. Do you think I need surgery?

MMolly

Nicotine constricts blood vessels in the area where inflammation should be actively combated, stopping the flow of essential substances. It is also not recommended to apply heat for all inflammatory processes, as this only intensifies them. Always consult a doctor and do not self-medicate. Better to spend a little money now than a huge amount over time. I found a site that debunks dental myths - lombarddentalstudio.com. If you are not properly dulling tooth pain, then very soon you will have to resort to more expensive and complex forms of treatment.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I smoke cigars for nicotine and fun, also drink bourbon. Inhaling tobacco smoke seems to be way more problematic. Nicotine and booze will take away pain or cares about it at higher doses. Might be too high for the liver? Your condition is above my pay grade to advise on. I know enough about dental matters to know I do not know enough to advise on anything other than simple stuff.

Cuddles

I've been living with tooth pain & associated pain in my nose & lips from a very poorly managed tooth infection, for 11 months now.

Besides Cannabis, I'm looking for effective pain relievers.

My definition of an effective pain reliever -
* Physical motion - I can go up on the roof to do some work without feeling dizzy. Or at least be aware enough to be aware, if I am dizzy.
* Sitting at desk type thinking, e.g. balancing the checkbook.
* able to talk to other people without sounding drugged.

Anyway, I had been thinking about smoking cigs.

Even found some Camel cigs in the parking lot & put them in the medicine cabinet.

But - I'd rather save my lungs for the good stuff.

So I'm planning on trying Nicorette.

There's a lot of medical articles about pain relief from nicotine.

I've also witnessed it personally, a woman friend who preferred Cigs. over Tramadol for relief of eye pain/ corneal neuralgia. She was the wife of an orthopedic surgeon and could have any med she wanted. She liked Nicotine.

The other way to consume nicotine is the Juul type e-cigs. That's sort of on the back burner.

Since there's a lot of people here who are taking Cannabis for pain relief, I was wondering if you had experience with Nicotine, on that front.

I had a sales job for about 2 years where I dealt with the general public, outdoors. I had loads of customers who were in pain and used Cigs for pain relief. They were buying tools, but often started talking about their pain situation.

well I´m a smoker and I do way too much of it as well and the answer is a big and definite NO - nicotine will not help you. Smoking certainly never helped me with pain management whatsoever so I´d say don´t bother with it incl. nicotine patches. It´s just bad for you that´s all.
I´m surprised these people think that fags helped them I honestly can´t imagne why. Maybe it´s psychological? Or there was cannabis in them?😁

thailer

i quit nine months ago. i have a lot more energy. i didn't realize how much bogged down you feel just from not having oxygen in your blood its like my muscles have energy or ability to worker better or harder. i'm not even a fitness freak or nothing. i'm a chubby lazy stoner but i feel like i can do more or have gained better fitness ability just by not smoking cigarettes.

i read it takes 9 months for your brain to heal itself and revert back to a nonsmoker brain by decreasing the amount of nicotene receptors. it seems like there were small periods when i would really crave cigarettes and i could smell tobacco or i would dream i was sitting in a chair smoking the best tasting cigarette. it was really shitty for the first four months and then less shitty after that with smaller periods of shitty withdrawls.

i did the patch for the first month while i read about how the brain reacts to nicotine and then heals itself so i realized the only way i was gonna feel better is to stop the patch and wait it out. it was super hard and i got in some terrible fights and lost some good friends. there were points i didn't know if it was still a good decision. i just didn't want to go through all of that and then to just give up and smoke again. when i see cigarettes now i really want to smoke but as long as i don't have reminders, i'm currently not thinking about it on the regular like i was.

anyways to anyone struggling to quit....i hear you and empathize but you can do it. i smoked a lot of pot as a replacement and just made my mind stubborn and strong willed to achieve this. you can do it and don't stop trying.

Cuddles

i quit nine months ago. i have a lot more energy. i didn't realize how much bogged down you feel just from not having oxygen in your blood its like my muscles have energy or ability to worker better or harder. i'm not even a fitness freak or nothing. i'm a chubby lazy stoner but i feel like i can do more or have gained better fitness ability just by not smoking cigarettes.

i read it takes 9 months for your brain to heal itself and revert back to a nonsmoker brain by decreasing the amount of nicotene receptors. it seems like there were small periods when i would really crave cigarettes and i could smell tobacco or i would dream i was sitting in a chair smoking the best tasting cigarette. it was really shitty for the first four months and then less shitty after that with smaller periods of shitty withdrawls.

i did the patch for the first month while i read about how the brain reacts to nicotine and then heals itself so i realized the only way i was gonna feel better is to stop the patch and wait it out. it was super hard and i got in some terrible fights and lost some good friends. there were points i didn't know if it was still a good decision. i just didn't want to go through all of that and then to just give up and smoke again. when i see cigarettes now i really want to smoke but as long as i don't have reminders, i'm currently not thinking about it on the regular like i was.

anyways to anyone struggling to quit....i hear you and empathize but you can do it. i smoked a lot of pot as a replacement and just made my mind stubborn and strong willed to achieve this. you can do it and don't stop trying.

well done mate! 👍 It´s great that you manged to stop. Sadly I don´t have enough strength :( I´ve been meaning to try a self-hypnosis / auto-suggestion technique I learned back in my college days. I´ve sort of been putting it off... maybe it´ll do the trick though :)
I tried the patches years ago but they didn´t make me wanna smoke less. I kept smoking and in the end felt sick because I ended up with too much nicotine. They didn´t work for me.