What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do ya'll do when the heat hits?

SolarLogos

Since the middle of June, we have had 13 days that were 100-107. It is 101 again today and this weekend will be 107 both days. My plants were started in April outdoors and are in pots, 1 in the ground. I don't move them or do anything. Sure, they drink each day, but are very healthy. These two plants came out of the ground on a day it was 101 (3 weeks ago) and they only know heat. I won't move them into the shade or anything this weekend, they are completely acclimated to the heat:
Zamaldelica Elite x Panama Goddess

Hashplant Haze x KaliChina

It really comes down to how acclimated they are to heat. Has it gradually been getting hotter each day and are they accustomed to at least being in the mid to upper 90's? If so, don't worry, they are tough plants. Best of luck.
Peace, God bless

St. Phatty

Possibly conveniently, we now have a wildfire 30 miles North that is burning in heavy forest and cranking out LOADS of smoke.

So the temps will come down.

But I can't use the AC or the house fan. Looks like it's a Wet T-shirt day.

T

Teddybrae

How's it goin', Yank? Your plants will do OK unless they get dry. I 've had small pots where the soil was almost too hot to touch but the plants were ok cos the pots were standing in shallow saucers of water. As long as transpiration is happening they will be ok.

PDX Dopesmoker

Mine seem to grow about twice as fast at 100º as they do at 80º, but thats low humidity heat with little resistance for evaporative cooling, not east coast swamp conditions.

calisun

A lot of strains have a hard time taking up water when it is 100+ degrees. Be careful not to over water plants in the ground. Your roots may be siting in water deep down. Witch can cause anaerobic conditions leading to pathogens. In my experience more light watering is better with an occasional deep watering. Mulch helps for plants in the ground and I wrap my pots with burlap cloth or hay.