What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autism

hazyfontazy

Veteran
A friend of mines son is autistic and he's asked me if cannabis might help ..

Any advice please greatly appreciated

In the UK

armedoldhippy

Veteran
all anecdotal evidence i have gotten from folks on the scale say "yes, it helps. it opens up the world to you by giving you something in common with folks you might not otherwise meet. sociability goes up, shields go down..." i'm still trying to get my oldest (24) to try it. he has tried edibles (who won't eat cookies? :)) but not to much effect.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I have a friend with autism and he loves to smoke weed. Always trying to bum some off me actually lol. Not sure if it helps him or not, but he sure thinks it does. Autism ranges on a wide spectrum and everyone is different, so it may help or it may not. The biggest improvement I've seen in people with autism has come from having good friends and building social skills.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I am autistic, which until quite recently, was something I did not advertise.

Being a stoner I was very vocal about, usually exaggerating somewhat the amounts I smoked.
A very good reason for this.

My having autism changes behaviors in others. If they know I am autistic I get treated on a superficial level, an autistic named Phaeton.
The same behavior on my part, when assuming it is caused by smoking, was treated as 'Phaeton, he must be stoned'.

The difference may seem subtle, but it is so huge to my attitude I never spoke of it even to family.
Now I am old so who cares.

That said, there are many types of autism, some of them may not have memorized complete encyclopedias. Some have moved on to phone books.

White Beard

I’ve never sought a diagnosis...and been told I’m ADHD, have not much confidence in that, there are no ‘treatments’. At my advanced etc, it’s humbling to hear kids talk about autism and realize they’re talking about the same sorts of things that made growing up so unpredictable and unpleasant for me.

Spectrum or, no, I’ve found cannabis to be invaluable in learning how to understand events and others and myself differently, it makes me feel LESS different, more like a person, but still always me. It lets me forget things without penalty: all that stuff will still be there when I need it. Good practice for feeling good about being yourself....

X

xavier7995

How old is the kid? I could see weed helping with the anxiety that comes with ASD and folks comments that it helped them fit in/feel socially comfortable make sense. Alternatively, i could see it inducing anxiety and making some of the sensory related issues worse. Weed effects everyone differently, so i dont think you can apply any one persons experience broadly to the condition.

Very interesting topic and looking forward to hearing more input as it is a topic near and dear to me.

Edit: i am thinking in terms of high functioning autism. That spectrum is so broad i find it kind of unhelpful. I like the aspergers term more, its a pretty big difference between being nonverbal and being real real real into how engines work.

G

Gauss

There is recent compelling evidence that CBD might be useful for treating some behavioural disorders, but that's totally different than smoking cannabis. I think the distinction is important.

They should do the research carefully and extensively, which I assume is part of why they asked you as a cannabis smoker. While anecdotal insight on the matter is of course logical to accumulate, they really need to talk to doctors and behavioural experts on the matter. If it were my kid I would never give them cannabis, I'd never give any child cannabis for that matter, but I would definitely explore the medical usefulness of CBD. Autism is not a life threatening condition, it is life altering. Keeping a consistent behavioural baseline is very important for learning how to deal with emotions, perceive the emotions and intentions of others, and reconcile illogical problems in general. I really try to avoid telling parents how to raise their kids, just as long as they do so IDGAF, but if you're asking for general advice that is my token.

funkyhorse

The main problem is that too many different conditions that have nothing in common between themselves as neurological sensorial disorders like dyspraxia or propioception problem are being diagnosed in the same bag with anxiety disorders or ADHD
A person with dyspraxia can have anxiety problems too, but they are certainly two different problems unconnected

A kid diagnosed with ADHD is being medicated with metilphedinate which is nothing more and nothing less than an analogue of cocaine
Would I give a kid a cocaine analogue? No way, but this is what "scientists" are reccomending for treating this diagnosis and what parents are blindly medicating their kids with. It is big business for pharma labs

Does a diagnosis mean the person holding it fits really into that diagnosis?
How can you be sure if doctors dont understand what they see?
And do you think a psychologist or a psychiatrist is the proper person to diagnose a neurological disorder based on a multiple choice test?
This is big business and an autism diagnosis is not serious. It only means the doctors who diagnosed the kid with "autism" have no clue what problem the kid really have and for them the only important thing is "to treat" which means very costly treatments the kid probably dont need. Too many people eating from this business.
Science dont understand much about the brain and how it works. Today anyone can have autistic traits

These autism doctors cant distinguish between a mammoth and an opossum.

They see a cat has eyes, ears and moustache
They see a rabbit has eyes, ears and moustache
And they also see a dog has eyes, ears and moustache
So autism doctors are correctly diagnosing cats, rabbits and dogs as mammals
So an autism diagnosis today has the same validity as a diagnosis of the kid being mammal.

First understand what the kid really have. Medication is always last resort.
Understanding the kid and the root of his/her behaviour is key

Last edited:
G

Gauss

FWIW I don't really tell folks this because it's not my business, but I have two family members who were (are?) severely autistic as young children. Their parents did a ton of research and decided to avoid medication in favor of proper behavioural guidance. Today they are fully functional and happy young men, they're really not more different than any other person is from anyone else in society. Their parents are truly remarkable human beings and parents though, and I doubt it was easy.

Riyad Brown

CBD is frequently used for anti-anxiety, as a muscle relaxant, mind-calming product. So by dealing with some of the behaviors of autism CBD may very well be worth trying. CBD oils and Gelcaps in a pharmaceutical-grade laboratory in the UK. Each product is tested and certified (through independent testing).

X

xavier7995

The main problem is that too many different conditions that have nothing in common between themselves as neurological sensorial disorders like dyspraxia or propioception problem are being diagnosed in the same bag with anxiety disorders or ADHD
A person with dyspraxia can have anxiety problems too, but they are certainly two different problems unconnected

A kid diagnosed with ADHD is being medicated with metilfedinate which is nothing more and nothing less than an analogue of cocaine
Would I give a kid a cocaine analogue? No way, but this is what "scientists" are reccomending for treating this diagnosis and what parents are blindly medicating their kids with. It is big business for pharma labs

Does a diagnosis mean the person holding it fits really into that diagnosis?
How can you be sure if doctors dont understand what they see?
And do you think a psychologist or a psychiatrist is the proper person to diagnose a neurological disorder based on a multiple choice test?
This is big business and an autism diagnosis is not serious. It only means the doctors who diagnosed the kid with "autism" have no clue what problem the kid really have and for them the only important thing is "to treat" which means very costly treatments the kid probably dont need. Too many people eating from this business.
Science dont understand much about the brain and how it works. Today anyone can have autistic traits

These autism doctors cant distinguish between a mammoth and an opossum.

They see a cat has eyes, ears and moustache
They see a rabbit has eyes, ears and moustache
And they also see a dog has eyes, ears and moustache
So autism doctors are correctly diagnosing cats, rabbits and dogs as mammals
So an autism diagnosis today has the same validity as a diagnosis of the kid being mammal.

First understand what the kid really have. Medication is always last resort.
Understanding the kid and the root of his/her behaviour is key

Gonna have to disagree...but sort of agree? Autism is a spectrum of traits, most people exhibit a few of them. I do think the spectrum is pretty damn broad, you have Bill Gates and bill gross on one end (scope out bill gross talking about autism, he is a real famous guy in the stock market world and didnt realize till he was old) and then you have Gilbert grape on the other. I agree with you that most general practitioners and even most that specialize in autism may not really be qualified...but there are some amazingly good docs that work in this area that can be life changing. It would be a mistake to not consult medical professionals. I have met some really great people in the purely medical field, but also behavioral therapy and psychiatry, that have a lot to offer. Children's hospital in denver has some excellent people.

Mostly I just think writing off experts is a bad idea. Some folks in the field are terrible, many are, but there are some great ones and really they are the people in the best situation to treat/help...idk, I dont really agree with treating/curing autism, but life can be hard for kids on the spectrum and some medical and behavioral stuff goes a long way.

So I know a mother who is curing 3 of her children’s autism with whole foods, she avoids gluten and sugar in their diets. She has six children. Her first three were vaccinated, they all have autism. The last three are healthy. All six kids carry a gene (can not remember the name of the gene) that increases their receptiveness to autism when vaccinated. Im not here to have an argument about vaccinations just thought I’d share her success with good foods!

X

xavier7995

You dont cure autism...nor should you. Good lord? Get your kids vaccinated.

I just wanted to share a cool story I just read about whole foods! An 82 year old woman with dementia got her memory back after changing her diet, high amounts of blueberries and walnuts. In certain countries Alzheimer’s is unheard of because of their diet. That’s powerful stuff!

“Sylvia also began incorporating other health foods, including broccoli, kale, spinach, sunflower seeds, green tea, oats, sweet potatoes and even dark chocolate with a high percentage of cacao. All of these foods are known to be beneficial for brain health. Mark and Sylvia devised to diet together after deciding that the medication on its own was not enough, they looked into the research showing that rates of dementia are much lower in Mediterranean countries and copied a lot of their eating habits.
Mark said, “It wasn’t an overnight miracle, but after a couple of months she began remembering things like birthdays and was becoming her old self again, more alert, more engaged..People think that once you get a diagnosis your life is at an end. You will have good and bad days, but it doesn’t have to be the end. For an 82-year-old she does very well, she looks 10 years younger and if you met her you would not know she had gone through all of this.“

soil margin

Veteran
I just wanted to share a cool story I just read about whole foods! An 82 year old woman with dementia got her memory back after changing her diet, high amounts of blueberries and walnuts. In certain countries Alzheimer’s is unheard of because of their diet. That’s powerful stuff!

You familiar with Dr. Robert Lustig? He actually said that it’s accurate to refer to Alzheimer’s as Type 3 diabetes. According to his research diet is basically guaranteed to play the primary role in who develops Alzheimer’s.

H

hard rain

So I know a mother who is curing 3 of her children’s autism with whole foods, she avoids gluten and sugar in their diets. She has six children. Her first three were vaccinated, they all have autism. The last three are healthy. All six kids carry a gene (can not remember the name of the gene) that increases their receptiveness to autism when vaccinated. Im not here to have an argument about vaccinations just thought I’d share her success with good foods!
She certainly isn't "curing" her children of autism. She might be improving some autistic traits, but really everyone responds to a good diet, as your other story illustrated. I've met people with severe autism who have incredibly good diets.
Whether you meant to start an argument about vaccination or not, implying that vaccination has anything to do with autism is way out of line. There is no link. This argument has been debunked. All you achieve by stating such misinformation is to make parents feel guilty, or at worse, stop people from being vaccinated in the first place.

Latest posts

Latest posts