What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Subdrool's Super Soil

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
with a proper super soil mix all organic there is no need to fade the plant.

only fade when your using salt based nutes and want to flush the shit out.

when you fade a plant that was grown organically you will get a significantly lower yield. unless your the fade master and got your supersoil + teas dialed down to a T

M.A.W

by cutting off the nutes you mimic cold weather/changing of the seasons.
Growing cannabis indoors is about trying to replicate the outdoors.

Im sorry but i respectfully have to disagree with this ideology....

So your saying that when it gets cold out and this kills plants because it causes them to starve/fade due to the inability to take up nutrients below certain tempatures. And/or change color because of temp drop...
That ^this is the end of the grow season.....
NOT when the plant itself is ready to finish but when the environment says so...
And so by this theory plants near the equator(warm areas year round) youll never see fading.....
And also that we should just drop temps indoors and continue to lower light times... To get an ill fade on?

only fade when your using salt based nutes and want to flush the shit out.

when you fade a plant that was grown organically you will get a significantly lower yield. unless your the fade master and got your supersoil + teas dialed down to a T

I agree with this^
You have to know a strain full on to get it to fade without affecting yield or potency....
At the same time i will say i have had some good medicene that has faded gorgeously( but it was from a grower running same strains for 20 or so years and had his game dialed in for near perfect commercial cycles)

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
Im sorry but i respectfully have to disagree with this ideology....

So your saying that when it gets cold out and this kills plants because it causes them to starve/fade due to the inability to take up nutrients below certain tempatures. And/or change color because of temp drop...
That ^this is the end of the grow season.....
NOT when the plant itself is ready to finish but when the environment says so...
And so by this theory plants near the equator(warm areas year round) youll never see fading.....
And also that we should just drop temps indoors and continue to lower light times... To get an ill fade on?

I agree with this^
You have to know a strain full on to get it to fade without affecting yield or potency....
At the same time i will say i have had some good medicene that has faded gorgeously( but it was from a grower running same strains for 20 or so years and had his game dialed in for near perfect commercial cycles)

I prefer my plants faded and colorful. I want a natural pure taste that brns cleans and grey. I also need a 6month cure. I don't cash bowls, I blow them out they burn so clean. I don't claim my yields to be perfect. Sometimes I put too much SS and sometimes not ènough. It's all about know your plants.

None of this changes that when I stared using a fully ammended soil my cannabis become so so much better

S

shuswap

okay what sie are these soil bags,a bale of sunshine soil is 105 liters,whats the recipe for a bale that size?

okay what sie are these soil bags,a bale of sunshine soil is 105 liters,whats the recipe for a bale that size?

105 l= roughly 3-3.5 CF,,, mix in another 1 CF of compost, such as composted sheep manure or forest products, + 1-2 CF of buckwheat hulls, lava rock or other aeration material, along with somewhere around 30-35 cups (a bit under a gallon per CF or total of 2-3 gallons or 10 liters) of amendment material- the amendment should be composed of %50 trace minerals such as glacial rock dust, basaltic rock dust, or clay (native clay, azomite, bentonite etc.), %20 agricultural lime and gypsum, and %30 blend of plant meals such as kelp meal, crab meal, neem cake, alfalfa or comfrey meal, and a few others like fish meal or other plant meals to feed the micro heard. I hope this helps. Also, there are around 2,000 threads in the Organic growing section that could answer your question incluing stickies

Luxman

i agree you have to start somewhere, and sub, vic, and moonshine all have some good mixes. question budman, do you mean 2 tbs of lime for the whole mix? you mean bags as in 1.5 cuft bags like the larger FFOF bags? dosent seem like enough lime to me, if thats so. i know they put a bit of lime in alot of the bags already, i dunno. also, if your only using 12.5 lbs ewc for that entire mix you could for sure bump that up. its personal preference of course, i might have mentioned it to you before but im a fan of ewc, i use 30% for freshly rooted clones and about 25% in my flowering mix, which would come out to about 60 lbs in 3 cuft of ffof. just my input!

I second this. That is not nearly enough lime to even bother adding it. Soil Sweet is really friendly stuff; I'd add about two cups of it to keep things in the 6 to 6.5 range for a soil batch that size.

And for the record, FFOF can run really low in ph; I tested mine at 5.4 right outta the bag. Surprised me.

slender

This was the easiest way for me to get into ammended soil. I am almost finished with my first run where I havent cracked a single bottle of nutes. I have made 2-3 teas of EWC/Sucanat
and that is it.

I grow in a 3x3 so I dont need a lot of soil. I cut is recipe down to make a 1/4 of the size. The ingredients are as follows:

1/4 Recipe
2 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
6.25 to 12.5 lbs of organic worm castings
1.25lbs or 20 ounces steamed bone meal
1.25lbs or 20 ounces bloom bat guano
1.25lbs or 20 ounces blood meal
3/4 lbs rock phosphate
3/16 cup or 3 tablespoons Epsom Salts
1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons sweet lime (dolomite)
1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons azomite (trace elements)
1.5 teaspoons powdered humic acid
2tbsp of Roots Organic Organism (mychs)

I added a little kelp and a little alfalfa meal. I cooked it for 6 weeks. I flower in 5gall smarties and filled the bottom of the pot about %45-%50 with SS. Added a buffer of promix, tranplanted and filled in with more promix/potting soil.

about 7-10 days after transplant these plants have zoomed! healthiest i have ever seen, and all I have done was add water....

Here are pics of my DTrains (white domina x qrazy train) at 44days....

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

i am SOLD. I am not starting this thread to say that this recipe is superior. More that, it had a "low barrier to entry" and allowed me to give up bottled nutes forever.

your saying that with this mixture i can grow for 5 months without applying any nutrients to my plants and just water them in? im currently in ammended soil and my season started may 5th and they are in full flower now. so my entire grow season consisted of about 5 months. would your soil mixture let me water plants in throughout my entire season.... plain water.. maybe ro water or ph water.. reservoirs with powder to ph etc depending on the strain.??? wihtout needind additional soil topdressing or compost teas? sry for the ramble thanks. take note the plants i have now are yielding up to 3 lbs with topdressing as needed.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Your posting in a thread from over two years ago. Not that I'm against time travel in any form.

But, in a weak attempt at an answer, I've never fertilized my yard yet the grass grows back every year. Sparse, but it does grow. Now if I wanted a lush show yard, I'd fertilize. What kind of garden do you want?

jwm

Veteran
A Little late to this party but I completely agree, super soil has changed my life as well.
Was getting to the point where I didn't want to grow anymore.

jwm

Veteran
Should I do anything?

Should I do anything?

In 5 gl smart pots in super soil and plants are growing well.
I've added worm castings and it helped some.
New growth is darker but plants are a tad yellow.
Should I consider adding a guano to darken them up?

Thanks-

jwm

Veteran
IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
Yes. Glad to see this thread limping around.

I’m still pumping out fire using a basic subcool recipe. It blows my mind cannabis can grow with this level of involvement

Just add water

E

ESTERCHASER

make sure that the soil gets fresh air and isn't overly hydrated; or you will grow some nasty anaerobic molds while in the can as it "cooks". Many commonly mistake these anaerobic molds for "mycorrhizae"

I think going to a healthy oak, maple hardwood decid trees .....boil rice, cheese cloth(soil temps gotta be in 50-60 range) bury the cheescloth wrapped boiled rice for a 10-14 days period.....go dig it back up...use that beneficial bacteria in your mediums from the rice

E

ESTERCHASER

cannabis is easy to grow bro

cannabis is easy to grow bro

Yes. Glad to see this thread limping around.

I’m still pumping out fire using a basic subcool recipe. It blows my mind cannabis can grow with this level of involvement

Just add water
It blows my mind how easily folks can be led astray by greedy cash croppers as well brother i feel your concern.

MtnGanj

Last year I took my leftover SS and put it in my outdoor raised tomato bed. Every old lady in the neighborhood couldn’t believe the explosive growth. LOL