What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New basement grow options. Height a bit low.

Bird_Dog

I'm setting up a new grow space of our basement. The house is old with stone walls, and last summer we poured a concrete floor on what was previously dirt. We were able to gain some headroom by digging down, but the floor to joist height is 77". I could fit a 5x5 tent quite easily, but most seem to be 80" with a few at 78".

I'd love if folks could weigh in on my options:

So my three options are as follows:
1. Get a 5x5 tent and cut the poles enough to fit, probably about 1.5"
Pros: Nice space to move around, clean and airtight, easier to disassemble if needed
Con: Sides might be a bit loose depending on how much I need to cut. Less flexibilty with dimensions.

2. Use two smaller 2.5"x5"x5" tents.
Pros: Able to alternate cycles, might be useful if I decide to keep a male around.
Con: Low head height, small space, more expensive.

3. Build the room with studs and panda film or polystyrene
Pro: Can probably squeeze a bit more than 5x5 space, max headroom, cheaper overall as I have silage tarp (aka panda film) from outside
Con: May not be as airight, less flexibility to alter or move the space, not as clean as a new tent (old dusty basement)

I'm in a pretty cold climate so those stone walls get cold in the winter. I'd like to keep a little airspace between them to avoid moisture issues.

Thanks!

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Frame out a couple small rooms in the basement and insulate them from the cold. Use Quantum Boards so you gain more height from having a smaller fixture.

I wouldn't bother trying to 100% seal it up unless you'll be injecting CO2. Just keep negative air pressure through a carbon filter to help control odor if that is a concern.

Bird_Dog

Frame out a couple small rooms in the basement and insulate them from the cold. Use Quantum Boards so you gain more height from having a smaller fixture.

I wouldn't bother trying to 100% seal it up unless you'll be injecting CO2. Just keep negative air pressure through a carbon filter to help control odor if that is a concern.

Quantum boards are definitely the plan, will be ordering as soon as I know the final footprint. Smell isn't a big concern, I'll be using charcoal and venting into the house during winter (cold and dry in the house) and up the chimney during summer. My main concern with sealing up the room is to limit dust and mold spores getting sucked in. Although I suppose opening the door to water daily negates that. Better off controlling humidity and airflow I guess.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Quantum boards are definitely the plan, will be ordering as soon as I know the final footprint. Smell isn't a big concern, I'll be using charcoal and venting into the house during winter (cold and dry in the house) and up the chimney during summer. My main concern with sealing up the room is to limit dust and mold spores getting sucked in. Although I suppose opening the door to water daily negates that. Better off controlling humidity and airflow I guess.
When I built my room, I built a light trap style passive air intake that I can put a furnace filter on to help cut down on crap getting into the room. It does help because I have to replace it every 6 months or so.

But you are correct. It appears just opening the door allows things to enter. I'm constantly having to vacuum the floor for dust, cat hair, loose hay from the grow bags, etc.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
this basement is barely over 6ft, and with a basement heck I wouldn't worry about a tent....well maybe for mother plants.

Yes get yourself some soft ties and start tying them branches down!!! Ive had a heck of a time, this is the first grow in this basement. But there's some many options in a basement if you don't have to worry about the wife trying to give you shit to put down there lol, xmas tree, boxes of clothes. But get yourself a couple of inline fans, definitely a 8in or larger to exhaust and a 6in for cooling hoods, 6in for bringing air in. Get your ventilation fixed up right first

These are in 5gal buckets of Promix/Ocean Forest soil mix I use. I usually do pretty good on yield with 5gal buckets. But im gonna have to get a dehumidifier. That's the problem I deal with even with several fans. The outside air coming in is humid this time of year

Attachments

• 20190518_230003.jpg
    20190518_230003.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190518_225457.jpg
    20190518_225457.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 24

Breadwizard

I vote for framing in walls. They don't even need to be structural, so some 2x4's and nails / screws will do it, toss on some sheet rock and you'll be way happier than a tent.

There should be basic stud framing tutorials on YouTube, try this old house.

troutman

Seed Whore
I agree with the others. Just make a few walls. :tiphat:

I made a wooden cabinet with only 2 X 3 inch wood, 2 1/2 inch wood screws and reflective plastic.

So much stronger than any tent. You'll like it too. :)

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
You can take some fern strips and frame you up a section and put poly on it would look nice to. Listen this poly will keep that smell inside your basement so your carbon filter and fan can scrub it good. Ive never been able to cover the smell like I have since I put up a couple of sheets of poly. Ive gotta do some house work after my plants are harvested. So im going have to move this stuff until I'm finished. But when I fix it back im gonna frame the poly and staple it. That will keep those odor leaks in alot better, at least i notice it does

Bird_Dog

Yea I'm liking this idea, it allows me to maximize the space I do have. I can build some simple studwalls and insulate with rigid foam, and I have plenty of silage tarp to line the walls and ceiling. I may try a tarp zipper for a door unless I can find a prehung door that will fit that height. Gonna be a nice little corner for my garden.

Fixer

I've framed the walls in my basement with 2x4s and will cover the studs with mold resistant drywall. If you plan on conditioning the air inside of your grow space and basement is in an unconditioned and older bilding you may want to consider hanging styrofoam insulation before you cover your studs with anything permeable so you don't get condensation on the back side of your finish material/drywall.

Latest posts

Latest posts