What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smokable medical marijuana goes on sale in Orlando

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smokable medical marijuana went on sale Monday at dispensaries in Orlando, but only to patients that have been given a doctor’s approval.
Derek Thompson was the first to buy the drug in its smokable from an Orlando Curaleaf dispensary, two years after voters approved medical cannabis through a constitutional amendment, several lawsuits and finally a political showdown pitting Gov. Ron DeSantis against legislators.
Thompson, a 35-year-old stay-at-home dad from Orlando, said he bought the loose-leaf flower marijuana hoping to better regulate his treatment and to save money on prescription drugs needed for his migraines, nausea and sleeplessness.
“I have three children, so the whole idea of using [only] how much I need appeals to me,” Thompson said.
As of Monday, the Florida Department of Health has given the go-ahead to two companies — Trulieve and Curaleaf — to sell smokable medical marijuana.
Trulieve was given the approval to sell smokable medical marijuana Thursday and sold its first smokable marijuana at its Tallahassee dispensary. It had it available statewide that same day, the company said. Curaleaf meanwhile made it available to Orlando patients Monday.
Before that, patients could use oils, creams, vaporizers or even injections — but not anything that could be smoked.
Dispensaries rushed to get it on shelves, anticipating high demand from customers.
<aside class="trb_ar_sponsoredmod" data-load-type="method" data-load-method="trb.vendor.nativo.init" data-withinviewport-options="bottomOffset=100&topOffset=1500" data-v-ntidm="1066262"></aside>“People have been waiting for it for quite some time,” said Vinit Patel, Curaleaf’s regional dispensary operations manager.
Patients still need new approval from state-sanctioned doctors to purchase medical marijuana, even if they had a previous prescription for other forms of it. Thompson was eager to get the smokable form, so he renewed his medical marijuana authorization card Friday.
Kimberly Chimber, a waitress at IHOP from Orlando, came to Curaleaf Monday to refill a prescription for medical marijuana. She usually uses a vape-style device and was surprised state officials had so quickly approved the smokable form. She said she uses medical marijuana to deal with PTSD, anxiety and chronic pain.
“I thought it would be July before they could get [smokable marijuana],” said Chimber, 35. “I’m going to go to my doctor tomorrow and get my prescription renewed.”
In other states with medical marijuana, smokable forms account for more than 50 percent of all sales of the drug, Patel said.
At Curaleaf, an eighth of an ounce (3.5 grams) was selling for about $47.
Medical marijuana companies anticipate a greater selection of marijuana strains with varying flavors and potencies to be available in the coming months too.
The new law also allows dispensaries to sell “delivery devices” such as pipes and bongs, once a gray area of law, said Richard Blau, a lawyer for Gray and Robinson who follows marijuana issues in Florida.
Curaleaf didn’t have pipes or other delivery devices available for sale Monday but expect to get some in stock soon.
So far about 254,000 Florida residents have registered with the state to receive medical marijuana treatment, according to the Florida Department of Health. About 197,000 have been approved to purchase medical marijuana with a prescription.
Editor’s Note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that Derek Thompson was the first Orlando patient to buy smokable medical marijuana in Orlando. Trulieve in Orlando started selling the drug on Thursday.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/os-bz-smokable-medical-marijuana-on-sale-20190325-story.html

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
two companies — Trulieve and Curaleaf get to sell weed.. and make lots of money...

But if you grow more than you need and get caught selling some to your friends, they'll throw you in jail as fast as they did 30 years ago...

So much for legalization....

Badfishy1

two companies — Trulieve and Curaleaf get to sell weed.. and make lots of money...

But if you grow more than you need and get caught selling some to your friends, they'll throw you in jail as fast as they did 30 years ago...

True. However, last I checked ‘legalization for everybody to sell unregulated surplus’ was never passed. I Better go check again

Betterhaff

Veteran
Ohio needs to do the same but not going to hold my breath (although Florida came around, albeit in a very restrictive way). Also needs to allow home grow.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
At Curaleaf, an eighth of an ounce (3.5 grams) was selling for about $47.

Bud Green; said:

True. However, last I checked ‘legalization for everybody to sell unregulated surplus’ was never passed. I Better go check again

That's the whole thing about new Cannabis "legalization" laws....
They seem pretty one sided to me..

If you're happy though, go right ahead and pay rip-off prices to the man...

You know, the same "man" who continues to keep the average icmag member under his thumb..

dddaver

Veteran
two companies —

This confused me so I did a little online research. As far as I know ANY cultivation is still a felony.

But FL Department of Health website still shows smokable still illegal. Bunch of idiots. What else is new?

Badfishy1

That's the whole thing about new Cannabis "legalization" laws....
They seem pretty one sided to me..

If you're happy though, go right ahead and pay rip-off prices to the man...

You know, the same "man" who continues to keep the average icmag member under his thumb..

Only speaking for myself, but ‘legalization’ was never passed. What I am ‘happy’ about is the fact that people have access to a form of medicine a doctor has prescribed them. Literally has ZERO effect on me either way. Is it perfect? Most would say no. Is it a positive step for a certain group of people who it is beneficial to? Absolutely.

dddaver

Veteran
I don't even try to participate in all their silly Reindeer games. It's way too expensive, complicated and just stupid to be allowed to buy their schwag. But I think they stipulated if you want to smoke, even if you already have a mmj card, you have to go back to your doctor to get approval for that. And this silly shit is 2 1/2 years after that landslide constitutional amendment was voted in. ASSHOLES and M O N E Y!