What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yield increase with age?

THC•20

Lately I have been seeing a few times something about yield increase or bud production according to a plants age. I was wondering from you guys experience over the time of growing clones from a mother over time have you ever noticed an increase in the yield or anything like that? I always hear it and don't understand why or how yield could increase just because it's a clone or because of the age of it.

RussCargill

^^^^^Yup you are just getting it dialed in is all. The more you grow a plant the better you know all of its quirks. With all this you will be able to max out the yield.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Simply not true. Your simply doing something better that the plant likes and have become more efficient in your growing techniques.

THC•20

Ah ok thanks. Because I read and I quote "The clone from a seed plant will also generate a bigger yield until she is six months old and reaches her limit." I believe I got it from one of the articles in Soft Secrets.

RussCargill

Never heard of a Clone producing like a seed ever. From my readings it always seems that a Seed will have a larger yield but will take a little longer to finish. Where as a Clone will finish a little faster than a seed but the yield will be off a bit from the loss of Hybrid Vigor

THC•20

So some clones actually grow and finish faster than plants from grown seed would but yet the yield would be less? Hmm

G

I think it makes a big defferance. In my experiance I usally get a better yield on the third clone run, same light ,same nutes,, same soil, A plant grown naturally outside usally goes through a much longer veg time than what we indoor growers give them, on some of my strains I get 1 to 2 oz more from the clone than I did from the seed. Not all strains need the extra veg but most benafit from it, we all know the longer you can veg the better your yield will be so it stands to reason the clone is taken from a more mature plant so naturaly it will yield better,

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
grizz said:
I think it makes a big defferance. In my experiance I usally get a better yield on the third clone run, same light ,same nutes,, same soil, A plant grown naturally outside usally goes through a much longer veg time than what we indoor growers give them, on some of my strains I get 1 to 2 oz more from the clone than I did from the seed. Not all strains need the extra veg but most benafit from it, we all know the longer you can veg the better your yield will be so it stands to reason the clone is taken from a more mature plant so naturaly it will yield better,

So are you inferring that there is a buildup of hormones within the plant that allow it to yield more? That could be the only possible explanation, considering the size of the clone and actual age of the growth (off of the mother) isn't very old (maybe 2 weeks...).

Have you actually documented this or are you just recalling such experiences?

Okie grown

Veteran
You can put a clone into flower when ever you want.When its 4 in. tall if ya want.The clone is the same age as the plant that mothered it.But you still need to veg a clone awhile.I would never put one into flower under 2 ft. tall.But i grow soiless mix in 5 gal. buckets.A seed plant is not supposed to be put into flower untell it starts getting alternateing nodes j.m.o.

why will a clone be less vigor than seed?

why will a clone be less vigor than seed?

i whould think that it will be the same.. after all, it is a "clone"... no?
i whould like to hear the reasons for your thoughts...
p.s.
what...what- congras on yout 100th post!!
m.

G

Wait...What? said:
A rooted cutting (clone) will never have the vigor of the same plant grown from seed.
bull shit, cant you guys understand that by taking a clone from a plant that is 6 months old your getting a clone that is already mature in age so it will flower stronger and better, that is the case unless you veg the origanal for 3 to 4 months so its totaly mature when it starts flowering, The vigor of my clones is equal if not better than any seedling.Now this might not be true if the mother is 10 yeats old, they do lose vigur eventually, There a thread by hubcap in the rez seed forum that rez says the same thing about the maturaty of the clone helps it out produce a fast flowered seedling. And about the question have I documented my finding the is no. I have been growing for over 20 years, long before icmag was even thought about as well as the net. MY scales tell me.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Every plant I have taken for a clone has always been just as vigorus as the original. I have done it many times and never have I seen any slowed growth. I had a Blueberry plant I grew from seed and budded and took clones to keep since it was and exceptional specimen. I kept that perticular clone around for three years and grew it every crop. Even after four years it grew just as vigorous as the original. I think yeild seemed to increase, but this was probably due to my increased knowledge on how the plant grows. Just my experience I thought I would share.

TGT

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Wait...What? said:
A rooted cutting (clone) will never have the vigor of the same plant grown from seed.
your right, but if you give it an extra week of veg you'll make up for the lack of vigor by adding more flowering points...
less vigor more points = yield..

THC•20

Ok it makes sense now the yield and vigor seems to come with maturity. And at the same time learning and spending time with a particular strain are things that could equal to an overall better yield. :) now if only I could yield a garbage bag full of pot lol.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Let’s take it from the start, because the whole thread got a bit confusing IMO.

RussCargill said:
Never heard of a Clone producing like a seed ever. From my readings it always seems that a Seed will have a larger yield but will take a little longer to finish. Where as a Clone will finish a little faster than a seed but the yield will be off a bit from the loss of Hybrid Vigor

As mentioned, a clone is a genetic duplicate of the original seedplant. Same DNA, same everything. You can therefore not blame any difference in yield on genotype, but only phenotype. Meaning that the only thing that can influence a change in the plant’s performance are external factors, such as a change in one or several growroom factors, or cultivation technique.
I believe that the change in yield you’re experiencing depends on the rootsystem. It generally grows more complex in a seedplant, and therefore has the capacity to deliver more water and nutrients to the plant, and can therefore provide for a bigger plant and better bud production.
While a seedplant needs a certain amount of time in order to reach sexual maturity, the clone is biologically more advanced already, and will therefore flower and mature faster than the seedplant. Once it has rooted, you can flower it straight away, which in turn gives less time to develop the rootsystem. If you give the clone enough time develop a just as big rootsystem as the seedplant, it will yield likewise.

The older the plant, the more it will yield. This is not only true in terms of size of the plant. Even if you trim a big plant, the meristem and principal lateral branching will continue to grow and expand diametrically (getting thicker). As the stem and branches get thicker, they can deliver more nutrients and carbohydrates to the shoots and bud sites, and therefore produce more budsites and bigger flowers.

Not only will the older plant yield more, it will also grow more potent bud. Testing of THC ratios show that older plants (given more veg time) produce higher amounts of THC than younger plants, which is probably one of the reasons why many growers experience outdoor grown bud (that generally gets more veg and flower time than indoor plants) as better than indoor grown. It is also my main criticism of flowering seedplants very young, or even straight from germination.

the longer you veg the bigger the yield...if i veged for 6 months...i would be screwed...but if i flower a clone at 15 day veg and one at 25 the one at 25 will yield at least 50 percent more than the one i flowered at 15
THC•20 said:
Ah ok thanks. Because I read and I quote "The clone from a seed plant will also generate a bigger yield until she is six months old and reaches her limit." I believe I got it from one of the articles in Soft Secrets.

G

Rosy Cheeks said:
Let’s take it from the start, because the whole thread got a bit confusing IMO.

As mentioned, a clone is a genetic duplicate of the original seedplant. Same DNA, same everything. You can therefore not blame any difference in yield on genotype, but only phenotype. Meaning that the only thing that can influence a change in the plant’s performance are external factors, such as a change in one or several growroom factors, or cultivation technique.
I believe that the change in yield you’re experiencing depends on the rootsystem. It generally grows more complex in a seedplant, and therefore has the capacity to deliver more water and nutrients to the plant, and can therefore provide for a bigger plant and better bud production.
While a seedplant needs a certain amount of time in order to reach sexual maturity, the clone is biologically more advanced already, and will therefore flower and mature faster than the seedplant. Once it has rooted, you can flower it straight away, which in turn gives less time to develop the rootsystem. If you give the clone enough time develop a just as big rootsystem as the seedplant, it will yield likewise.

The older the plant, the more it will yield. This is not only true in terms of size of the plant. Even if you trim a big plant, the meristem and principal lateral branching will continue to grow and expand diametrically (getting thicker). As the stem and branches get thicker, they can deliver more nutrients and carbohydrates to the shoots and bud sites, and therefore produce more budsites and bigger flowers.

Not only will the older plant yield more, it will also grow more potent bud. Testing of THC ratios show that older plants (given more veg time) produce higher amounts of THC than younger plants, which is probably one of the reasons why many growers experience outdoor grown bud (that generally gets more veg and flower time than indoor plants) as better than indoor grown. It is also my main criticism of flowering seedplants very young, or even straight from germination.
well said rosy, it all boils down to MATURITY.