What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maui Wowie

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
don't forget the seeds. they grew it for seeds. for food and oil it was a very important thing.

also talking to my hawaiian buddies yesterday. they said they have no clue when it got there but that some of their grandparents had been smoking it since they were kids. (early 1900's) but that it wasn't by any means a new arrival. there grandparents don't remember when it came either.

They also said if old hawaiian genes are probably around they are probably on the hawaiian island. They gave one island to the hawaiians and if there is still oldschool grass thats probably where it is.

Last edited:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice info. muddy W :yes:

motaco said:
don't forget the seeds. they grew it for seeds. for food and oil it was a very important thing.
indeed :yes: the hemp industry during the late-medieval was product specific.

while in central Russia hemp was procreated to make soap,,, the sailing communities of Western Europe preferred taller male sativa with hollow stems that could be easily broken down into cordage... they called it "Indian Hemp"

fibre-grade cannabis is still common in India today... an example would be the cultivar armageddon47... which also has hollow stems.

zamalito will explain it much better,,, :wink:

peace out
dL :joint:

Last edited:
G

KingRalph said:
if ya, or anyone else for that matter, has some pics of the orig cherry bomb in action would be much appreciated, as i've been tryin ta trace back my old hawaiian for a while, just don't know if it's a pure thai that had been there a while or what...

hey King Ralph, heres some crummy pics, cheapo camera at the time. remember these were flowered from sprout so no veg, and not much of a plant do to that.

your plants definitly resemble mrgs CB. i havent gotten around to another run yet. other stuff in the works. the bud was airy like asian buds, at the time i didnt have a clue about sativas.

zamalito

Veteran
I'm growing out 75 mr greengenes cherry bombs for breeding. I have really high hopes for this one. I will be sure to keep you guys updates. I just cracked 4 of them to grow indoors just to get an idea of what they're like. The larger batch will also be grown along with puna butter and possibly some kona gold.

KingRalph

:yoinks: awesome zamalito! let me just toss my hat in the ring for first round releases ;) i hope the possibly kona gold turns into a definite, that would make a lot of smiles. oh n side not on the cherry bombs, last time mrG sent a bunch out to breeder folk that grew them, they all got a lot of herms, but G said that was unusual so must have been from that generational batch... so you might wanna check which stock you're goin from, this was a few years ago anyway, least a year before CBII. best of luck with all those man, will definitely be anxious for your updates :)

an senor purple farms, wherever ye be, hope you're well, an thanks for those pics... i see the resemblance, in a leaf trait and trich coverage behavior there... of course it's apparent there's indica in there... which mrG acknowledges of course, being maui wowee... yet reeferman calls it 100% sativa in the CBII description :chin: thing is, i remember mrG talking err typing about how he was continually breeding it back to get to a cherry sativa pheno he liked...

...i found that out while searching a few years ago for info on where the strain i picked up in kona, hawaii could have originated from, which was a very very sativa, VERY cherry plant that resulted from the seeds. going off of what i've looked into about all the old hawaiian strains, it seems it could be the old big island sativa strain that might have been used in the maui wowee or just a different continuation of the same, caus there definitely are similarities to mrG's cherry. which of course because of all this i've wondered as much about as my own plant, so jahspeed with those zamalito! unfortunately i had disposed of the males back when i did the strain, not knowing... and only have selfed seeds from when the cherry pollinated itself... still waiting till i have a good course of action with which to go through them, and preserve/continue the line to the best of it's purity... will get to it someday, in the meantime, will be stayin tuned to your work zamal! peace n green thumbs fellas :joint:

zamalito

Veteran
Thanks, Ralph! Bsc was given the kona gold and puna butter seeds by an older hawaiian friend of bsc. According to luiz the person who donated them knows what they're talking about. So we have the kona gold in hand and they are definitely authentic. We're just worried about losing them in transport but we will make them available eventually. The cherry bomb seeds were gifted to us by 3 different sources all of whom did open pollinations. Interestingly if you look at some pictures of the thseeds puna budder strain on icmag you will see a resemblance in coloration structure and leaf shape to the greengenes' cherry bomb. Its not likely but definitely possible that thseeds puna, mr. G's cherry bomb and your kona are related in some way or bred from afghan indica and tropical sativa possibly cherry thai and other colombian lines brought to the islands by the BOEL. I'm not certain if our puna budder shares common ancestry in any way with the thseeds puna. I'm fairly certain that ours will be more pure of a sativa. Does anyone know if thseeds puna is a hybrid or ibl or have any idea of it's lineage? Also where was Mr. Greengenes growing his cherry bomb? Wasn't it kentucky? It will definitely be interesting to see you xross your line with the kona puna and mr g's lines.

Rusty420

im super stoked to have been given the chance to grow original MrGG Cherrybomb, here is one of the males...:)

^^couple of clones of the same girl..:)

~Thanks to those who made this possible!!:respect:

P.s. Zamalito, i wish you were still around these parts bro!:yes:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
post from 2004.

To all,
just had a nice response, then tried to send and deleted it...
long story short...
as part of a "Fun Project" after grad school, I and some friends ran 55 samples from the Pan Pacific Area...
this was able to be done as the samples were collected via old classmates in post-doc programs at UH, USC and UC...
we produced tissue cultures, used commercial kits to extract DNA... extracted both Nuclear and mitachondrial DNA...project languished a bit in the lab...finally developed primers to target specific stranded DNA to be sequenced ..."primed" for replication with a short complementary strand at one end. This preparation was divided into four batches, and each treated with a different replication-halting nucleotide, together with the four "usual" nucleotides. Each replication reaction then proceeds until a reaction-terminating nucleotide is incorporated into the growing strand, whereupon replication stops. Thus, reaction produces new strands that terminate at positions corresponding to the G's in the strand being sequenced. (Note that when long strands are being sequenced the concentration of the reaction-terminating nucleotide must be carefully chosen, so that a "normal" C is usually paired with a G; otherwise, replication would typically stop with the first or second G.) We then used Gel electrophoresis -- one lane per reaction mixture and then separated the replication products, from which the sequence of the original single strand can be inferred.
Results:
of the 55 samples 23 were sucessfull...from the chromatagraphs
the following inferences were made:
2 samples from the Hawaiian sampling were mitachondrial duplicates... the 100% sativa from the island of Molokai called The Blood, and one of the 6 samples called Maui Wowie from the Island of Maui...what was interesting is that 2 samples from california... 1 called "maui wowie" from a source in Ontario and a second from Santa Cruz were also sisters and all related to a mother common as our two Hawaiian samples. The Santa Cruz sample was called "Cherry Bomb".
At some point in a review of the data by the co contributors...some two years after the original culturing took place the name "Mr.Greengenes"
came up as the source of the Santa Cruz sample.
Keep in mind that certain chain of custody issues as well as timing and the very " jovial' nature of the sampling would render it useless by peer review, none the less... I guess I stand by the work...
Why not contact RMBC and pose the question to them... I myself have aquired CB2, and if I have time and inclination( and quiet days with the Lycor) I may try the samples again...the primers are a real pain to develop however...
but I will keep my eyes open for that Sativa pheno...@ $35.00 US for 12 seed how can you go wron.
d

Mr G's cherry bomb
picture.php

green pheno
picture.php

VG:tiphat:

Frosy

Great topic, great thread, and the Cherry Bomb has been on my list for some time. I hope you guys re-release it and share it someday! But what about the GH Strain ' Hawaiin Snow', reportedly 1/2 Maui Wowie? Could that one be the real deal?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Weeeeee...I love the CB. Not as strong as the newer types,but will clean your whistle for sure. Nice flashback to late 70's if anyone remembers this stuff. I had two phenotypes that I call the short and tall. The short one finishes earlier...the tall one went over 100 days and yielded big. Two phenotypes had different effects..the more sativa pheno is much more pleasant.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Zamalito was on the right track. ;)

From the book "Orange Sunshine" detailing the BoEL's exploits:

picture.php

phenomenon, more famous in some circles than the island itself.
"I guess the Brotherhood served its purpose by bringing those seeds to Maui," Mundell allows. "It was pretty popular stuff. It was Maui Wowie."

(couldn't get the whole thing scanned)

yoss33

Veteran
It's great that this thread popped up, it makes me even more convinced in the choices I've made for the 2012 outdoor season: the 2 Nirvana's Hawaiian strains - Maui Wowie and Papaya, the first described as a mild and inspiring sativa, the second - as a tasty relaxing indica.
I hope they'll bring nice variety to my stash of trippy sativas :)

budbasket

I just got some really nice outdoor maui last week. After a few days I got rid of it because opening the bag made me sick from it being so sweet. Really nice herb. I am also thinking of buying a couple packs on the boutique.

WelderDan

Veteran
I might as well jump in this too. Here is Mr G's CB crossed with C99 from a few years ago. I got NO males from my 10 pack of seeds and crossed it to a C99 male.

I had flavors that ran from Cherry to Pineapple and even Spicy/Peppery. She's a wonderful plant thats very manageable for a mostly Sativa and I am lucky enough to have recently got my hands on the genetics again, thanks to a Very generous person. You know who you are!

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
That's a beauty Welder Dan^^^^ I also have several CB crosses to tinker around with eventually.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
It's great that this thread popped up, it makes me even more convinced in the choices I've made for the 2012 outdoor season: the 2 Nirvana's Hawaiian strains - Maui Wowie and Papaya, the first described as a mild and inspiring sativa, the second - as a tasty relaxing indica.
I hope they'll bring nice variety to my stash of trippy sativas :)

i've grown the Maui Wowie from Nirvana. Definitely sativa. I grew her under a 150 watt HPS that became 2 150 watts by harvest time. She went about 16 weeks and should have gone longer.

i scrogged her and her main cola was the size of my forearm :eek:

the high was all in the head and would have been more potent if i let her cook longer. more lighting would have helped as well. but she was a mild, pleasant high..

needless to say, i saw it was 'END OF THE LINE' stock on the Boo. i picked up another pack for a future grow and F2 production ;)

i think my buddy has some F2's he made also. i need to check with him.

i used to have pics, but they were on a crashed hard drive. :cry:

Manijahtor

its a great strain, very lemony, heres a pic of my maui from back in the day i still have the clones with me, its one of my favourites, in this pic it has 50 days of flowering (this was a mother plant)

saludos :tiphat: