What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maui Wowie

G

cleanin out a spare bedroom that i dry alot of weed in, i found this bag of MrGs cherrybomb seeded bud. been there well over a year, lol. as i finished mrgs CB two xmas's ago, lol.

openin the bag, still had the nice cherry aromas, even bustin up the bud had the aromas goin, didnt taste great, but still had some punch left.

anyway have more CB beans then yesturday:D

CBF

R

richardwilliams

Yo cedar,
Ive noticed that too, very old mrg's cherry bomb still holds a nice flavour and high, mrgreengens always recomended to save some seeds from your favourite buds for future generations.
enjoy em. rich

G

Hey RW, great to see ya around, the CB i did was strong smoke, in the taste and aroma dept's. had my problems with the line, as i expected a huge stretch, which flowerin from sprout it never materialized.

im positive that flowerin from sprout is what caused the hermies. definitly get some veg on um.

also seems that almost anything with Thai genes is a bugger to finish right. been doin Thai and some thai crosses since the beginnin of the year, and so far have had some sort of malfunction with um all, hermies, autoflowerin, amoung all the different lines ive tried.

anyway, Deep wreck is up this weekend for a germ, finally gettin to um, damn sats, two runs and a year is gone, lol

Take care

CBF

R

richardwilliams

oh yes i remember now your famous thai thread that was lost.
Definately a long veg till they're huge and flowering starting outdours was how i succeeded with the original cherry bomb.
Im just finishing up a "dragonfruit" which is a thai dominant cross done by Beast, it is banana free, and a nice granola smoke, i.e. morning wakey bakey.
cheers, rich.

KingRalph

hehe nice little find pike, ya sprout any yet? :D i found with my cherry that even after a while an aroma subsided, break the bud an out pops the cherry again. did the plant look totally sativa to you? it was claimed to be 100% but always looked like it still had some indica in it. oh, an i've been running my hawaiian cherry sat x skunk cross 12/12 from seed with 0 herms no problem (feminized no less!). of course that was outcrossed hmm. the skunk phenos actually have the huge stretch, an the mostly sat hawaiian ones actually stay shorter with just a 2x stretch insteada over 3x.

if ya, or anyone else for that matter, has some pics of the orig cherry bomb in action would be much appreciated, as i've been tryin ta trace back my old hawaiian for a while, just don't know if it's a pure thai that had been there a while or what... have a boatload of s1's to pop looking for a stable fem, will show yas just how sativa these ladies are... but only if ya show me yours first! okay fine, but i want more pics from yas!! ;)

peace n cherried thumbs all :joint:

Last edited:
G

Very nice Nuggets KR. How long did she go? Were all the phenos sativa dom?
MOD

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
weed has been in hawaii since god only knows how long

people that say it got there in the 50's are just know it alls.

islands throughout all of polynesia which is not far away have had native strains for many generations, and mainlands with indigineous strains are really not that far away.

I'm a huge fan of hawaiian buds. unfortunately I didn't have a camera for my TRUE hawaiian buds, not hybrids.

the original maui waui was grown by an amature botanist named mr. waui who worked with a native hawaiian. it was a true sativa which always makes me laugh at how many seedbanks carry "mowie wowie" and its an indica.

as many pure sativa growers know if you plant a sativa from seed it has the chance of turning into a 6 or 7 foot SOG type plant.

this is typical jamaican and hawaiian growth patterns due to them both having 3 harvest seasons a year. two short and one long.

waui was working with a native rumored to be of thai descent that would grow to 4-7 ft and produce 2-4 ounces per plant per season. after a couple seasons he had literally 55 gallon drums full of the stuff and no market for it so he sent it to cali during the height of the summer drought. and the maui wowie legend. all the sudden instead of expensive shaky mexican people had fresh tropical sativas and sung the praises.

real maui is god only knows what now as the hawaiian climate changes strains constantly as they adapt.

but here is the only hawaiian hybrid I have a pic of left. cb2

KingRalph

nice info motaco. yeah kali, all sativa, here is her sister that yielded slightly better but didn't have as much cherry to it... they went over 12wks, an i think could've kept goin a bit more, but the buds were gettin big... this was 4 years ago at least i think, early winter of the year i visited the island... i would've kept the males if i wasn't a fool then :pointlaug

G

Retrospect is not free. I have lost/killed many winners and discarded hundreds of would be fathers without forthought.
Peace
MOD

Big Brother

A friend of mine grew about 5 Maui wowie plants this year over near the coast, they seem to get a bit maganeesum towards the end of the budding stage, I took cuttings after her hrvested some plants and strip the cutting down to little leaves and stem and I am trying to clone then. I do not know if they are the true maui wowie strain.
" BIg Brother

G

They use to have Mr. Green's seeds over at Treating Yourself. Does anyone know if these are still obtainable? I couldn't find them the last time I checked. I have CB II.

zamalito

Veteran
At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all (admittedly I do sound like a know it al sometimes but I try very hard to allow myself to be convinced that I'm wrong about something) isn't hawaii 2500 miles against wind and ocean currents from polynesia? (which I don't consider to be nearby) or 3000 miles from papua 4000 miles from thailand and mexico? I may be wrong but I remember reading that because of hawaii being so isolated humans didn't even arrive to hawaii until 600 ad. I probably shouldn't have said cannabis didn't arrive there until the 50's because I don't know and noone else does either. The thing is there's very little or no evidence that cannabis was used by precolonial hawaiian culture. The culture did have a history of using psychedelic mushrooms and plants but cannabis is conspicuously absent from this.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^

agreed. cannabis sativa was introduced to the 'New World' during the 'colonial period' (c.1600-1950). same grows for the rest of the Americas... :canabis:

peace dLeaf :joint:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
lol. the 1600's are plenty long enough to make native strains.

but really, I don't know how anyone can definitely say things like that.

lots of people think christopher colombus thought he'd sail off the earth in 1492. they knew damn well the earth was round

the first globe was made in 1492 as well. I've seen the thing and its certainly faulty but it clearly had south america on it so somebody had been there at some point, saying you know they didn't bring cannabis is an empty argument to me.

I mean I'm not saying they did, but seeds making it across the pond isn't anything I have a hard time believing. we have no clue when or where it actually came from including continent. asia, india, africa. we don't know. nor do we know how much thc "hemp" contained in those days. pot probably didn't seem very important in the early days and it doesn't surprise me people didn't write much about it.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
motaco said:
lol. the 1600's are plenty long enough to make native strains.

that's like saying grey squirrels are native to the UK...

motaco said:
but really, I don't know how anyone can definitely say things like that.

we just did... it's an opinion.

motaco said:
we have no clue when or where it actually came from including continent. asia, india, africa. we don't know. nor do we know how much thc "hemp" contained in those days.

hemp/indian hemp is the colonial term for Cannabis. It came from the Congo/Gambon/The Gambia,,, inturn this seed came from S. Africa, which came from Sri Lanka, which in turn came from India (formerly India, Afghanistan, Nepal, Buhtan) and Indo-China (formerly Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos), Thailand, and Siam.

if/when anthropologists follow colonial trade routes; they find that early capitalist exploration requiring rope spun from hemp, follows distinct patterns of diaspora. Alongside tea, coffee, bannanas, pineapples, tobacco, opium, coca, cocoa, potatoes, maze, and sugar cane. cannabis was just another of these resources.

To add early European farmers (Porto-espanic, English, Dutch, French,,, later German and Belgic) did not discover the agricultural benefits of hemp until they had discovered India/Indo China and its agarian peoples, and their method(s) of cultivating hemp (c. 1600's). They then projected this model into the colonial ports of East Africa (Durban). From here the method travelled the cape onto the Slave Coast in the West.

Later Maroon, took these plants and cultivated them for erb.

Peoples may have taken hemp seed to the America's during the Neolithic (c.10,000 BC), but it wasn't until much later during the colonial period that cannabis became a commercial/sustainable crop :wink:

hope this helps

peace out
dLeaf:joint:

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
I was mostly repeating what I'd read a few times before. Perhaps what I should've said is the genetics present in what we know as hawaiian drug strains almost solely arrived after 1950. This doesn't mean that hawaiian strains aren't good it just means that they largely represent the best of what the hindu kush, thailand, and columbia (for the most part) had to offer over the last 56 years. This includes a lot of very good genes.

I can't say too much though because I've been lightly researching precolumbian cannabis which is a subject I'm very fascinated with. I hope you find something about colonial or precolonial hawaiian cannabis. I recently read that Cartier when exploring canada found hemp growing wild. This is intriguing however there's several different species with hemp in their common name of the time like wild hemp, black hemp and the more common indian hemp (cannabis).

muddy waters

much fun reading about our favorite plant and its roooooooooooooots

i don't know if this is on topic but this conversation reminded me of something.

there are still a lot of mysteries of human and natural history to be solved. for one small example: the garifuna people of the caribbean coast of central america, for instance, seem physically to be the descendents of slaves, like all other african americans. but when i was in livingston, guatemala, i met a very knowledgeable, well-read garifuna who insisted almost to the point of confrontation with me that the garifuna are not africans, and that they were there when colombus passed by in 1492. could be that he's clinging to his myths but who's to say? there are some who claim that slaves escaping a spanish shipwreck in 1638 swam to land, the island of st. vincent, and there encountered the caribe (one assumes in a non-conquistador mindset) and were integrated into the tribe. yet others claim that the garifuna are the result of unrecorded african explorers who encountered the caribe prior to european conquest. acc to wikipedia their garifuna creole language is mostly arawak, caribe, english, and a little french, yet no african words. this is highly uncommon among populations of the african diaspora, and supports the hypothesis that if there is an african root to the garifuna, it is much older than 1638.

anyway...
in the same way that human DNA can reveal via certain indicator genes where a person's family originates, couldn't cannabis DNA, if studied thoroughly enough to reveal genetic location markers, reveal its ancestry? barring that i think that human history is too impossibly tangled to make certain statements about how region-specific cannabis strains originated. imo the last 30-40 years of American/western European colonialism (aka globalization) has radically rearranged the genetic distribution of cannabis so much that "rescuing" landraces by keeping them pure 1000 miles and 12 climate zones removed from where they originate strikes me as a little bit daft. i understand the impulse, and i myself have it, but it is little more than a romantic affinity for other cannabis cultures, and not a serious effort to preserve genetic integrity.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
"thats like saying grey squirrels are native to the UK."

well by your logic unless plants are from india or china they in they would not be considered native.

no such thing as colombian weed its only been there 2-3 hundred years. well thats nonsense, you can identify colombian weed. weed is not squirrels they are adapting plants. 400 years is plenty enough to make it a native strain in my book.

exactly at what point do you consider strains a native; how long you gonna wait?

"we just did its an opinon"- yes thank you I'm aware of that and this is my opinon. So watch your tone.

I've read about 1200 BC hash smokers so like I said hemp contained thc in those days. I doubt high levels of thc was bred into it in 400yrs.

I'm well aware of the suggested cannabis trade routes I just take them with a grain of salt. actually a BIG sack of salt. There are things we don't know and I'm okay with that.

Saying you know what happened in BC over asia and india isn't realistic to me. Yeah the chinese figured out how to make hemp and paper in BC. they discovered it first. the first anthropological records. don't take this whatsoever to mean this is where it was born. simply where its uses were discovered and spread. The chinese were famous for this. keeping secrets that people could do in their homeland if only they knew.

IMHO hemp was a wildly growing plant in several countries and the chinese unlocked the secret of it for its mass spread.

ZAMALITO I know what you mean most of the hawaiian strains probably did arrive in the 50's. but don't take it to mean they didn't have weed. americans have been smoking weed a long time. There was a big boom here in NO during the depression but it was popular before that. people were smoking in the 1800's. just not a big deal and nobody writes about it. I've no reason to think hawaii hasn't had weed since at least the end of the 1800s.

PS guys if your interested they have a documentary on google video called "magic weed, the history of cannabis sativa" and its a good video. check it out.

Last edited:
G

DocLeaf said:
Peoples may have taken hemp seed to the America's during the Neolithic (c.10,000 BC), but it wasn't until much later during the colonial period that cannabis became a commercial/sustainable crop :wink:

what would that mean? for any sustaining population in the americas all that time.

what about the wild cannabis in america now?

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NeptHaze said:
what would that mean? for any sustaining population in the americas all that time.

what about the wild cannabis in america now?

hi NeptHaze :wave:

Sustenance crops are those that provide necessity rather than want. In the case of cannabis, in post-colonial ports n places, the sustenance provided was valuable hemp fibre/cord/rope used in sailing.

Wild hemp/cannabis is the result of old hemp farming. Procreated seed soon turn ferral, and then wild, if wind n stroms allow... :wink:
think yo guys call it "ditch-weed"

this also happened in UK/Europe whereby wild hemp/cannabis cultivated during the late-medieval period still grows alongside road/trackways in many warm counties/regions.

peace out
dL :joint:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts