What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Experience with psoriasis?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I hate to use too much medical cannabis flower. Too valuable, but I probably won't smoke it anyway, so why let it go to waste getting old?

I guess you could do a pint at a time or do you sue a quart mason jar? You get a lot of cbd in that!

Old Piney

You can use a little jelly jar if you want but to do it this way it just has to be mason style with the lid and ring so it can vent. I do use a 32oz jar and then jar it up in little half pint jelly jars. The one pint jar would work fine for the steeping give it a go

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking or the Rick Simpson Oil thread. I know BrassnWood makes oil regularly, and has a good method. He puts it in capsules to take orally.

I guess I could make an oil concentrate, then simply add that to a salve, but that may dilute it more.

So flower and coconut oil can be steeped in side a jar in a waterbath. Do you simmer the water bath I guess or does it have to be more of a boil? How many hours?

That would be great because it would prevent the house from filling with herb smell, and would also preserve the terpenes.

Could use it to treat my dogs as well.

Legalcdn

Just did this method today, it decarbs at the end.

You could mix with black seed oil (cumin) as a carrier oil. It is noted to assist with psoriasis.

Get a cruisart or revel fondue pot, or standalone digital hot plate.

You can make tinctures fast.

Old Piney

Looking or the Rick Simpson Oil thread. I know BrassnWood makes oil regularly, and has a good method. He puts it in capsules to take orally.

I guess I could make an oil concentrate, then simply add that to a salve, but that may dilute it more.

So flower and coconut oil can be steeped in side a jar in a waterbath. Do you simmer the water bath I guess or does it have to be more of a boil? How many hours?

That would be great because it would prevent the house from filling with herb smell, and would also preserve the terpenes.

Could use it to treat my dogs as well.
Yes a slow boil I do 2 or 3 hours, you probably will have to add water .coconut oil makes a really good topical its also good for edibles and cooking. My CBD coconut oil is really tasty

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool, thanks thats not too bad. Do you put all your coconut oil in, with the flower and top it up with water?Is it best to store in the fridge and use within 6-12 months? Thanks for the help!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would it work best to use a quart size jar to process a pint sized amount of coconut oil? How much flower do I put into it for a pint? Whats the best way to strain? Steel collender?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Going to be looking at some of the natural therapies you guys have mentioned. Thanks for sharing!

Old Piney-- Do you heat the oil I guess and pour it over a loosely stuffed full quart mason jar? I would think it may be good to break it up on low heat to melt the coconut oil, then pour it all in the jar and boil. May increase the transfer of resin to the oil. Wondering how strong I should do it?

I have 3 or 4 jars of early cut heads from September, and may use some of those. Just doing some prep.

Looks like I need to use CBD Much more. Onto something there.

Dr. Friedman explains that some cannabinoids, like THC, interact with the CB1 receptor, which is present in the brain and nervous system and is generally responsible for the “high” that people associate with cannabis use. Whereas other cannabinoids, like CBD, interact with the CB2 receptor, which is present in the immune system, including the skin.

“We are just now beginning to understand the complexity of the human body’s response to specific chemicals and their potential benefit for a broad range of conditions and chronic symptoms,” adds Dr. Hawkes.

No water just oil and I do keep it in the fridge
Eureka for pipe ! With my cbd coconut oil I do that decarboxylation thing I almost fill a mason jar full of flower, add oil to cover it put the lid on and screw the lid on loose and simmer in a pot of water do a few hours. I strain it out and to make it stronger I repeat using that oil and new flower. I think I'm gonna whip up some thc topical as well

Old Piney

Old Piney-- Do you heat the oil I guess and pour it over a loosely stuffed full quart mason jar? I would think it may be good to break it up on low heat to melt the coconut oil, then pour it all in the jar and boil. May increase the transfer of resin to the oil. Wondering how strong I should do it?

I have 3 or 4 jars of early cut heads from September, and may use some of those. Just doing some prep.

Looks like I need to use CBD Much more. Onto something there.

Dr. Friedman explains that some cannabinoids, like THC, interact with the CB1 receptor, which is present in the brain and nervous system and is generally responsible for the “high” that people associate with cannabis use. Whereas other cannabinoids, like CBD, interact with the CB2 receptor, which is present in the immune system, including the skin.

“We are just now beginning to understand the complexity of the human body’s response to specific chemicals and their potential benefit for a broad range of conditions and chronic symptoms,” adds Dr. Hawkes.
I melt the coconut oil if needed in the Microwave in glass measuring cup. I just leave a little space in the jar. I believe I got six, four-ounce jelly jars from a quart mason jar. I use a stainless steel strainer , the last little bit you pour will have just a little bit of green you'll see it

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Advance Online

Cannabis, Marijuana, Pot, or Weed​

No matter what you call it, cannabis can impact your psoriatic disease.
A cannabis leaf on a wooden background.

July 25, 2022
As we stand today, 19 states, Washington D.C., and Guam currently allow adults over the age of 21 to purchase cannabis products recreationally. [1] Only three states do not allow any form of cannabis to be used, whether that be medical, cannabidiol (CBD), low tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), or recreational. [2] We don’t have to go too far back to find the origins of this increase in access either. It was just 29 years ago in 1993 that the U.S. Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders, M.D., proposed studying cannabis legalization – a suggestion for which she may have been forced to resign. [3] In 1996, California was the first state to pass a medical cannabis law. [4]
Of course, we are not here to find out why or how that expanded legalization took place, but instead, to answer this one important question you might have: Will cannabis help me manage my psoriatic disease?
To get some answers, we talked to Jason E. Hawkes, M.D., MS, from the University of California, Davis and Adam Friedman, M.D., FAAD, from the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences to get answers.
Dr. Friedman starts off by explaining that cannabis is the plant, and cannabinoids are the molecules that affect the body. At the mention of cannabis, your first thought is probably of THC and CBD, which are the main phytocannabinoids derived from the plant. But Dr. Friedman points out that our own bodies produce cannabinoids, called endocannabinoids, such as anandamide (AEA), that regulate several different biologic processes. In addition, synthetic cannabinoids can be made in a laboratory with aspects of both phytocannabinoids and endocannabinoids.
Recent Advance Articles NPF Logo

Is it Psoriasis or Eczema?

NPF Logo

My Pregnancy with Psoriatic Disease

NPF Logo

A Champion for Change

While there is still much to be learned, Dr. Friedman says it has been shown that cannabinoids can reduce inflammation and can help resolve the effects of previous inflammation. “So, it's not just about stopping inflammation, but actually resolving it and dampening it down to then allow for proper healing,” says Dr. Friedman. They have even been shown to affect the production of interleukin 17 (IL-17), IL-23, and TNF alpha, all of which are important to the pathogenesis of psoriasis.
“The cannabinoids have the potential to hit multiple different facets of inflammation and induce repair, which will benefit not just psoriasis, but any inflammatory disease, making it a very exciting area for discovery to go after many different disease states, even beyond dermatology,” says Dr. Friedman.
Dr. Hawkes explains that the medical use of cannabis products, or products that contain cannabinoids, is generally considered to be safe, but there are several factors that can affect potential safety of use, including the dose, method of delivery, duration of use, and the specific ingredients.
“The potential benefits of cannabis use for inflammation, itching, anxiety/depression, pain, and insomnia, for example, will be of significant interest to health care providers and patients. Conversely, we are aware of problems with overuse or the abuse of cannabis products such as worsening of anxiety/depression/paranoia, obesity, weight gain/metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease,” says Dr. Hawkes. He adds that because people with psoriatic disease are already at higher risk of these conditions, or comorbidities, this should be taken into account when considering use of cannabis products.
There are additional safety aspects to take note of when utilizing cannabis products, including the non-cannabis ingredients. Dr. Friedman says that there have been reports of allergic reactions to topical cannabis products, likely because of additives in the formulation. This is particularly important for products sold outside of dispensaries, as they are subject to fewer regulations.
The delivery method of cannabis products is also something to keep in mind, as it can significantly affect the amount of cannabinoid absorbed by the body. “For example, as much as 35% of a cannabis-based product may be absorbed when ingested via an edible compared to less than 10% of a product delivered topically,” says Dr. Hawkes. He explains that delivery methods include smoking, vaping (smokeless inhalation), capsules, edibles (food or drink-based products), tinctures (sublingual absorption), and topicals.
Both Drs. Friedman and Hawkes want individuals to discuss potential use of cannabis products with their doctor. Some products may be more appropriate or beneficial for certain symptoms than others. There is also a possibility that cannabis products can interact with other medications you may be taking. “Cannabis products may also amplify the side effects of other concurrent oral medications, such as drowsiness, increased heart rate, or elevated blood pressure,” says Dr. Hawkes.
“As we begin to tease out the specific biologic properties of cannabis strains and their ingredients as well as their potential therapeutic use for specific symptoms,” says Dr. Hawkes, “we are approaching a consumer landscape that could allow for a highly personalized, customizable shopping experience based on an individual’s symptoms or medical conditions.”
Whether you are looking for relief for your psoriatic disease or want to ensure that recreational use won’t cause a flare, your access to cannabis products, as well as research on their safety and efficacy, is only going to increase going forward. Before you try a cannabis product, be sure to review your state laws and discuss any plans with your doctor.

To Your Health​

Curious about the effects of alcohol use with psoriasis or PsA?

1709555183833.png

Author

Dana Berry

Title

Marketing and Content Manager

References

[1] Hansen, C, Alas, H, and Davis Jr, E. Where Is Marijuana Legal? A Guide to Marijuana Legalization. U.S. News and World Report. May 27, 2022. Accessed July 25, 2022. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...juana-legal-a-guide-to-marijuana-legalization

[2] State Medical Cannabis Laws. National Conference of State Legislatures. July 18, 2022. Accessed July 25, 2022. https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-medical-marijuana-laws.aspx

[3] Blanchard, SK. How the First Black Surgeon General Was Silenced for Considering Drug Legalization. Filter Magazine. December 8, 2020. Accessed July 25, 2022. https://filtermag.org/joycelyn-elders-drug-legalization/

[4] Yu, B., Chen, X., Chen, X.et al. Marijuana legalization and historical trends in marijuana use among US residents aged 12–25: results from the 1979–2016 National Survey on drug use and health. BMC Public Health 20,156 (2020). https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-020-8253-4

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Deuteronomy 28:27-28 NKJV​

27 The Lord will strike you with the boils of Egypt, with tumors, with the scab, and with the itch, from which you cannot be healed. 28 The Lord will strike you with madness and blindness and confusion of heart.​

Deuteronomy 28 NKJV​

Blessings on Obedience​

28 “Now it shall come to pass, if you diligently obey the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all His commandments which I command you today, that the Lord your God will set you high above all nations of the earth. 2 And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, because you obey the voice of the Lord your God:

3 “Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the country.

4 “Blessed shall be the [a]fruit of your body, the produce of your ground and the increase of your herds, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flocks.

5 “Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl.

6 “Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out.

7 “The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before your face; they shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways.

8 “The Lord will command the blessing on you in your storehouses and in all to which you set your hand, and He will bless you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

9 “The Lord will establish you as a holy people to Himself, just as He has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the Lord your God and walk in His ways. 10 Then all peoples of the earth shall see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they shall be afraid of you. 11 And the Lord will grant you plenty of goods, in the fruit of your body, in the increase of your livestock, and in the produce of your ground, in the land of which the Lord [b]swore to your fathers to give you. 12 The Lord will open to you His good [c]treasure, the heavens, to give the rain to your land in its season, and to bless all the work of your hand. You shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow. 13 And the Lord will make you the head and not the tail; you shall be above only, and not be beneath, if you [d]heed the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you today, and are careful to observe them. 14 So you shall not turn aside from any of the words which I command you this day, to the right or the left, to go after other gods to serve them.

Curses on Disobedience​

15 “But it shall come to pass, if you do not obey the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all His commandments and His statutes which I command you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you:

16 “Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the country.

17 “Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl.

18 “Cursed shall be the [e]fruit of your body and the produce of your land, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flocks.

19 “Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.

20 “The Lord will send on you cursing, confusion, and rebuke in all that you set your hand to do, until you are destroyed and until you perish quickly, because of the wickedness of your doings in which you have forsaken Me. 21 The Lord will make the [f]plague cling to you until He has consumed you from the land which you are going to possess. 22 The Lord will strike you with consumption, with fever, with inflammation, with severe burning fever, with the sword, with scorching,[g] and with mildew; they shall pursue you until you perish. 23 And your heavens which are over your head shall be bronze, and the earth which is under you shall be iron. 24 The Lord will change the rain of your land to powder and dust; from the heaven it shall come down on you until you are destroyed.

25 “The Lord will cause you to be defeated before your enemies; you shall go out one way against them and flee seven ways before them; and you shall become [h]troublesome to all the kingdoms of the earth. 26 Your carcasses shall be food for all the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and no one shall frighten them away. 27 The Lord will strike you with the boils of Egypt, with tumors, with the scab, and with the itch, from which you cannot be healed. 28 The Lord will strike you with madness and blindness and confusion of heart. 29 And you shall grope at noonday, as a blind man gropes in darkness; you shall not prosper in your ways; you shall be only oppressed and plundered continually, and no one shall save you.

30 “You shall betroth a wife, but another man shall lie with her; you shall build a house, but you shall not dwell in it; you shall plant a vineyard, but shall not gather its grapes. 31 Your ox shall be slaughtered before your eyes, but you shall not eat of it; your donkey shall be violently taken away from before you, and shall not be restored to you; your sheep shall be given to your enemies, and you shall have no one to rescue them. 32 Your sons and your daughters shall be given to another people, and your eyes shall look and fail with longing for them all day long; and there shall be [i]no strength in your hand. 33 A nation whom you have not known shall eat the fruit of your land and the produce of your labor, and you shall be only oppressed and crushed continually. 34 So you shall be driven mad because of the sight which your eyes see. 35 The Lord will strike you in the knees and on the legs with severe boils which cannot be healed, and from the sole of your foot to the top of your head.

36 “The Lord will bring you and the king whom you set over you to a nation which neither you nor your fathers have known, and there you shall serve other gods—wood and stone. 37 And you shall become an[j] astonishment, a proverb, and a byword among all nations where the Lord will drive you.

38 “You shall carry much seed out to the field but gather little in, for the locust shall [k]consume it. 39 You shall plant vineyards and tend them, but you shall neither drink of the wine nor gather the grapes; for the worms shall eat them. 40 You shall have olive trees throughout all your territory, but you shall not anoint yourself with the oil; for your olives shall drop off. 41 You shall beget sons and daughters, but they shall not be yours; for they shall go into captivity. 42 Locusts shall [l]consume all your trees and the produce of your land.

43 “The alien who is among you shall rise higher and higher above you, and you shall come down lower and lower. 44 He shall lend to you, but you shall not lend to him; he shall be the head, and you shall be the tail.

45 “Moreover all these curses shall come upon you and pursue and overtake you, until you are destroyed, because you [m]did not obey the voice of the Lord your God, to keep His commandments and His statutes which He commanded you. 46 And they shall be upon you for a sign and a wonder, and on your descendants forever.

47 “Because you did not serve the Lord your God with joy and gladness of heart, for the abundance of everything, 48 therefore you shall serve your enemies, whom the Lord will send against you, in hunger, in thirst, in nakedness, and in need of everything; and He will put a yoke of iron on your neck until He has destroyed you. 49 The Lord will bring a nation against you from afar, from the end of the earth, as swift as the eagle flies, a nation whose language you will not understand, 50 a nation of fierce countenance, which does not respect the elderly nor show favor to the young. 51 And they shall eat the increase of your livestock and the produce of your land, until you are destroyed; they shall not leave you grain or new wine or oil, or the increase of your cattle or the offspring of your flocks, until they have destroyed you.

52 “They shall besiege you at all your gates until your high and fortified walls, in which you trust, come down throughout all your land; and they shall besiege you at all your gates throughout all your land which the Lord your God has given you. 53 You shall eat the [n]fruit of your own body, the flesh of your sons and your daughters whom the Lord your God has given you, in the siege and desperate straits in which your enemy shall distress you. 54 The [o]sensitive and very refined man among you will[p] be hostile toward his brother, toward the wife of his bosom, and toward the rest of his children whom he leaves behind, 55 so that he will not give any of them the flesh of his children whom he will eat, because he has nothing left in the siege and desperate straits in which your enemy shall distress you at all your gates. 56 The [q]tender and [r]delicate woman among you, who would not venture to set the sole of her foot on the ground because of her delicateness and sensitivity, [s]will refuse to the husband of her bosom, and to her son and her daughter, 57 her [t]placenta which comes out from between her feet and her children whom she bears; for she will eat them secretly for lack of everything in the siege and desperate straits in which your enemy shall distress you at all your gates.

58 “If you do not carefully observe all the words of this law that are written in this book, that you may fear this glorious and awesome name, THE LORD YOUR GOD, 59 then the Lord will bring upon you and your descendants extraordinary plagues—great and prolonged plagues—and serious and prolonged sicknesses. 60 Moreover He will bring back on you all the diseases of Egypt, of which you were afraid, and they shall cling to you. 61 Also every sickness and every plague, which is not written in this Book of the Law, will the Lord bring upon you until you are destroyed. 62 You shall be left few in number, whereas you were as the stars of heaven in multitude, because you would not obey the voice of the Lord your God. 63 And it shall be, that just as the Lord rejoiced over you to do you good and multiply you, so the Lord will rejoice over you to destroy you and bring you to nothing; and you shall be plucked[u] from off the land which you go to possess.

64 “Then the Lord will scatter you among all peoples, from one end of the earth to the other, and there you shall serve other gods, which neither you nor your fathers have known—wood and stone. 65 And among those nations you shall find no rest, nor shall the sole of your foot have a resting place; but there the Lord will give you a [v]trembling heart, failing eyes, and anguish of soul. 66 Your life shall hang in doubt before you; you shall fear day and night, and have no assurance of life. 67 In the morning you shall say, ‘Oh, that it were evening!’ And at evening you shall say, ‘Oh, that it were morning!’ because of the fear which terrifies your heart, and because of the sight which your eyes see.

68 “And the Lord will take you back to Egypt in ships, by the way of which I said to you, ‘You shall never see it again.’ And there you shall be offered for sale to your enemies as male and female slaves, but no one will buy you.

El Timbo

I discovered that my quite mild psoriasis comes from eating citrus fruits - I would look into doing a month long elimination diet - a month of meat, fish and vegetables.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks, El Timbo! Someone posted earlier about bread as a potential trigger. My dermatologist said it can be specific triggers unique for every individual.

Moderation is good with foods, some foods may not necessarily trigger if eaten at a moderate rate, or incorporated with other food items in a meal compared to eating the trigger food individually on an empty stomach.

Stress is a big factor, I think. Keep the stress low, cut out time to socialize with friends and family, meditate, pray, get good sleep, and of course figure out dietary changes to be made.

Fats are also promote inflammation in the body, it was said on one psoriasis site.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cut out time to smoke a bit throughout the day. I am also cutting back on smoking too much until evening for a couple weeks. I am only smoking to medicate every 15 minutes or more during the day to prevent anxiety, over stimulation from cannabis and also watching which buds I smoke at which times. Some flower with more sativa/racy/cerebral effects I may save until after lunch when I have a full stomach.

Other more easy going, calm energetic varieties I tend to use those in the morning and during the day.

At night some plants will make me sweat in my sleep. The really greasy fuel type indica plants tend to do it. So I am watching what I smoke and when.

Someone posted on here about treating their pustule blistering psoriasis using cbd oil and it was cured. Thinking about taking much more of the 1000 mg tincture. Going to maybe take 1.0-1.5 ml per day split in to morning and evening doses.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Cannabinoids and the Immune System​

Cannabinoids are a group of compounds found in the cannabis plant. The two main cannabinoids are THC (the psychoactive ingredients in marijuana) and CBD (which does not have a psychoactive component).

The body processes cannabinoids via cannabinoid receptors, which are found in the brain and in immune cells.2

Fine PG, Rosenfeld MJ. The endocannabinoid system, cannabinoids, and pain. Rambam Maimonides Med J. 2013;4(4):e0022. doi:10.5041/RMMJ.10129
This is all part of the endocannabinoid system, which regulates inflammation, immune function, motor control, pain, and other bodily functions commonly affected by MS.

This connection helps explain why CBD can be beneficial for MS. Cannabinoids have been shown to reduce inflammation and regulate immune response.2 CBD does this without mind-altering properties, making it appealing to people looking for relief from MS symptoms without the “high” of marijuana.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for sharing these recipes. Going to make a coconut oil with medical cannabis and take more CBD oil, about 1.5 ml per day of 1000 mg full spectum oil.

Going to try to take the mushroom mix daily as well.

Latest posts

Latest posts