What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Click here for Afropip Durban Poison, and GN Thai Stick or don't. I dont care.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Once upon a time long ago, I purchased some Afropips Durban Poison and threw them in the freezer saying Ill get to them someday, and after much procrastinating, that day has finally came. Well for half of them. I planted 10 of 20 with the next batch to go into the media soon.

To go along with the Durban Poison, I planted my remaining GN Thai Stick seeds. I believe it was 8 seeds. Six of them have broken the surface so far. The other two rotted :( Better than the DP atm, which 4/10 have came up since being sowed on the 23rd of may. The remaining 6 are duds too. I hope my remaining ten perform better.

Im crazy for taking on so many pure sativas at once, but Ive a few tricks up my sleeves to tame them and make them manageable. I hope...

picture.php

If you've never watched that show, you're missing out. Its the perfect show for a stoner, or anyone that just wants to laugh.

Im going to post up some pertinent info such as media, nutrients, lights, etc later on, but for now Ill give you guys and gals some nice pics of seedlings to look at for now.

Day 1 GN Thai Stick:

picture.php

Time Warp ahead to Day 12

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

There are lots more Thai picks in my album as well. Ive hit my limit it seems on pics for this post. Durban Poison picks to come when I have more time. Im such a tease..

P.S. Thanks for clicking on the link.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Strain Descriptions

Strain Descriptions

Afropips Seeds - Durban Poison

100 % Pure Sativa
Durban Poison selected from the most potent Durban Poison Sticks/Pencils.
Small buds with Speedy High.
Flowering: 90 -120 days of 12/12.
Indoors: (Veg 0-10 days for 5 - 6 ft plant)

GN Thai Stick Sativa

100 % Pure Sativa
Click here for expanded description
Flowering:12 - 14 weeks(Not even remotely true)
Indoors: (Veg 0-10 days for large-ass plants)

Ever since my first experience with Haze(Sam's Haze Hybrid), Ive wanted nothing more than Sativa or Sativa Hybrids to smoke. As a result there are no Indicas in my garden. They just cant compare to the high of a great sativa.

These two varieties we will be growing are my top choices to search for a Holy Grail plant or two. I intend to spend alot of time with these two lines flowering out multiple clones of each female, and using florel to test the males for female characteristics. More in depth on that later on.

Before Ive made the mistake of culling lines way too quickly when they underperformed, and now there is no way to recover them anymore. Now I always make seeds to preserve my investments. I think we underestimate how often grower error is to blame for poor performing plants. Im guilty perhaps.. ::shucks:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Media & Nutrients

Media & Nutrients

We know what lines were growing now, but what is my choice for media and nutrition?

Media: Promix BX w/ BioFungicide. I cut it with 15% Calcined DE for its ability to act as a water sponge absorbing and releasing water as needed. A mineral alternative to water crystals you could say, but better. It can also be precharged with P fertilizer to act as a slow release amendment. I often times mix up a batch of WSF and soak the DE in it, then incorporate it into the media. I didn't this time though. Anyone looking to source it can find it known as Axis Regular Soil Amendment, or cheaper as Optisorb at O'reillys Autoparts(it must say from EP minerals on it, else it is likely to break down). This material was screened first to remove the fines before soaking and further incorporation into the media.

picture.php

Mixed into the media is Bioworks Rootshield+ Biofungicide in granular form. Its a preventative measure against root rot and will produce some of the whitest most beautiful roots you'll ever grow.

picture.php

Nutrition: I am using CRFs incorporated into the media at a rate of 5gr/gallon of media. Osmocote Plus 15-9-12, 5-6 month release formula. I also supplement with WSF feed(GH Flora 3 part) every other watering around .9 EC, 450 ppm. Ill update later with a more accurate nutrient profile.

GH 3 Part Flora 5/5/7 Nutrient Profile:
Total N: 91 ppm
Nitrate N: 85 ppm
Ammonium N: 6 ppm
P: 49 ppm
K: 145 ppm
Ca: 69 ppm
Mg: 35
S: 20

Ive tried WSF only feed before for a long time, but plants never performed as well as plants that received CRF, and it was harder to keep WSF fed plants healthy. Its also a PITA to constantly mix up feed solutions.

I dont know how well this level of Osmocote will work long term. Ive tried it at up to 18 grams/gallon and that was way over-kill at those rates, so I dropped to 5gr/gallon. Anyone else considering CRF should definitely experiment with different rates for best results.

Has anyone noticed a lack of Durban Poison pictures so far? :biggrin:

tuned & subscribed :laughing:

I'm actually running m99 by afropips + double jam by underground collectkve .. só I am very very interested in every possible tricks n tips to tame these wild babies .. :respect:

Last edited:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Just wanted to say I subscribed to your thread, even if you don't care.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the sub Sprinkl. I hope you enjoy your time here. This should be a fun time for all involved. Btw, I do care, but only a little bit. :biggrin:

tuned & subscribed :laughing:

I'm actually running m99 by afropips + double jam by underground collectkve .. só I am very very interested in every possible tricks n tips to tame these wild babies .. :respect:

Welcome to the thread CimeTempestose. Its nice to have you on board. I hope you'll find some of what I do helpful in your garden. The tips and tricks section will be coming later. :tiphat:
Ill be posting some updates in the reserved posts later tonight, so stay tuned folks.

How old are your seedlings? I just looked at the thread you've been updating with them. It'll be fun seeing them grow up. What is this collective? Someone who preserved one of his line I suppose?

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Day 14 GN Thai Stick Update

Day 14 GN Thai Stick Update

These 6 seedlings are chugging along, rapidly outgrowing their space and into each other. They're easily the most vigorous plants in my entire garden and doing better than I ever expected. They're gonna blow up over the next few weeks. I can't wait.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
In your first post you said "the other two rotted" it looks like your bio media mix is *much too wet* ...

From your current pictures it looks like the medium is mixed with 98% biomixx and 2%'promix- a wet disaster. When you get a chance to repot put it in something that has bigger particle sizes (better aeration/ drainage) otherwise they will continue to rot away and grow slow as molasses. Good luck with the grow, it looks like you may need to water them much less because of the drainage issues.

From pics your plant roots are lingering in that black medium that stays waterlogged all day. drainage and aearation.

The choice of strains is top notch, and your choice of growing medium size is perfect, my only small suggestion is the mix ratio of your growing medium brother.

:deadxmas::deadxmas:

:tiphat::tiphat:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
In your first post you said "the other two rotted" it looks like your bio media mix is *much too wet* ...

From your current pictures it looks like the medium is mixed with 98% biomixx and 2%'promix- a wet disaster. When you get a chance to repot put it in something that has bigger particle sizes (better aeration/ drainage) otherwise they will continue to rot away and grow slow as molasses. Good luck with the grow, it looks like you may need to water them much less because of the drainage issues.

From pics your plant roots are lingering in that black medium that stays waterlogged all day. drainage and aearation.

The choice of strains is top notch, and your choice of growing medium size is perfect, my only small suggestion is the mix ratio of your growing medium brother.

:deadxmas::deadxmas:

Firstly, thank you for taking part in the thread Mr. Belvedere. I loved watching that show when I was a kid. Brings back memories. Great name.

Anyone is allowed to chime in with advice and criticism in this thread. I welcome the opportunities for discussion, so lets have one shall we?

I dont know what bio-mixx is? I simply take 85% Promix BX and 15% Calcined DE, mix together with some osmocote and go from there. This mix is able to retain enough air porosity to provide an optimal environment for healthy white fuzzy roots to thrive. Did you miss the post of the roots above? Roots dont grow like that in soggy mixes. When I transplant them, I will make sure to post pictures of the rootballs. That should put your worries at ease. Maybe even impress you. :biggrin:

All the pictures of the plants were taken after watering, which is why you may assume Im over-watering due to the media appearing wet. The plants have been receiving 2 oz/60ml of water/feed at each irrigation. Administered by drop irrigation via hand held syringe. Literally dropping drop after drop until I go through 2 oz of water/feed. Im pampering these plants like no others before them. *Ive also filled the tray they're in with a shallow amount of water one day to do a bit of bottom watering.

Ill make a post about my methodology of watering in the future. Thanks for the idea.

Im glad you like my choice of strains. I only wish I had started them long ago. I foolishly would take them out of the freezer, set them out for days to weeks on end intending to plant them. Change my mind, and back they went into the freezer. I did this multiple times. :shucks: I believe this may have been a key factor in my problems with germination rather than over-watering.

I think the above post is hogwash. Your plants look great and the growth rate is exceptional. Looking forward to the outcome.

Welcome to the thread Lester Bean. I do agree these plants are looking outstanding. One of my best starts with seedlings in awhile. Thankfully, you all wont have to wait months to see a GN Thai in flower, I hope. I have one lady in flower for 50+ days that is just now budding..

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Afropips Durban Poison Update

Afropips Durban Poison Update

The first plant up out of all the ones I sowed was a DP, with its 3 siblings following along around 3-5 days later. They were the last 3 to come up I believe, so quite a bit of difference in growth rates after two weeks.

Day 1:

picture.php

Fast foward to Day 10:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

SourDank

Veteran
Definitely subbed for this one brother, love me some sativa's as well. Can't say I don't have any hybrids in the garden but 8 out of 10 times I reach for some haze or at least a strain with a much more sativa high. Can't wait to see what you pull from these, should be wild :)

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Day 14 Afropips Durban Poison Update

Day 14 Afropips Durban Poison Update

While not as vigorous as the GN Thai Stick, they're still growing nicely atm. This isn't any race, so Im not worried. I have no intentions of flowering out the seed plants any time soon. I hope to have a rooted clone going into the flower room by 1.5 months post germ. The seedlings in the background are the Thai Stick. Gives you an idea in the difference in vigor.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Definitely subbed for this one brother, love me some sativa's as well. Can't say I don't have any hybrids in the garden but 8 out of 10 times I reach for some haze or at least a strain with a much more sativa high. Can't wait to see what you pull from these, should be wild :)

Muchas gracias SourDank. There truly is nothing better than a Sativa most times of the day. The variety of highs available are unmatched compared to Indicas. Although, I would like something that could knock me out at the end of the night when Im ready for bed.

Im gonna have to bring my A game to do these plants right, so I thought a grow log will help keep me motivated.

I miss having Haze in my garden. Ive got a freezer full of Haze Hybrids waiting for their time(Nevils, Mr Nice SkunkHaze, Sams HazeSkunk, Thunk, and some G13Haze freebie). Thats a journal for another day folks. :tiphat: