What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Durban Poison?

VanVulpen

Veteran
Is anyone here interested in a Afropips DP grow journal along with some of Sams Haze x Skunk? There doesn't seem to be much interest in these strains at my other site, so I thought id see if there is any here.

i will be particulary interested myself, i'm actually planing to germ some cross i made with a Afropips Malawi Gold female and a Golden Tiger (Malawi X Meao Thai) male from ACE and some Thai Haze X Skunk from the Skunkman in a couple of weeks :) i have also grown Afropips Swazi and it was very good as well... good luck with your grow mate and keep us updated :)

I

icon

Is anyone here interested in a Afropips DP grow journal along with some of Sams Haze x Skunk? There doesn't seem to be much interest in these strains at my other site, so I thought id see if there is any here.

YES! i was looking into getting afropips dp but read that they shut down? & every site ive checked that carries their dp is out of stock but im still interested in watching a grow.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
YES! i was looking into getting afropips dp but read that they shut down? & every site ive checked that carries their dp is out of stock but im still interested in watching a grow.

I wish there was a double quote feature here. First Vanpulpen thanks for the encouragement. Its nice to meet another sativa lover. I hope the DP will turn out great as did your Swazi.

Back to you Icon, I dont think there is any place you can get Afropips DP from now. There was an Italian seed bank that had it, but they recently got shut down by the fuzz, and I have no clue if they even recovered any of their stuff. Other than that site, no one else has it that Ive seen. I just now saw that Afropips website is down after you mentioned it. A month ago I emailed Afroman a couple of times about his Malawi gold and ordering. This is a surprise to see the site down.

Ill make sure to make seeds with all my ladies and males, and send them into the boo for a server fund or as freebies, but it will take around 4 months or so.

Ill post a link to my new grow journal later tonight. Still have to get things set up.

Id like to thank you two for showing interest. Just like I expected on my other site, my grow journal got 27 views after I posted that question, and not a single reply! :noway: Why even bother to have a journal if people wont even answer a single question?! Hopefully Ill get more interested people here :).

mule420

I have a Durban poison crossed with a skunk #1 I'm working a S1 fem seedline as we speak... Untested it will go to the bay also for the server fund... Here is the product I call it Alien8, watch for em...:artist:
picture.php

picture.php

I grew the dutch version of Durban Poison in the 87 it was from Neville i thort it was okay at best mild high grew it twice and well never re grew it agine still have seeds of it will say it was very stable uniform all the plants grew the same unlike today's offerings gave friends seeds i made they loved it grew them out doors told me they grew large and very resiny with great smoke me i thort it was a mild social high at best.

I smoke to a guy who lived over there and grew it at brang it home grew it here for years told me the Durban he loved would flower and go purple was a short plant there were green Durban plants to but he sed the purple was the best he told me they were not your typical African sativa as they were more squote.

one of my friends fathers grew up in south africa ...
the stories he tells are ridiculous ,
one of the best however, is his stories about the durban poison (which i've been hearing ever since i first started smoking) ...
roughly:
can turn purple but not always, very potent stuff, best pot he'd ever smoked at the time..... he and others used to grow loads of it in a warehouse (lol) under floros (LOL) --- he never mentioned the aroma, but that it could turn purple, and was incredible.
he also mentioned they did a fermenting/curing process which i still dont know the details of -- but it was basically burying the buds under ground for months on end and diggin it up later...

so needless to say i've wanted to try durban for years an years now... glad to see people are talkin about it :)

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Mule, thats a great looking plant you got there. Ive actually ordered Shit from Mr. Nice and plan to cross it to my DP at some point. I hope the offspring will turn out looking that great.

mule420

Mule, thats a great looking plant you got there. Ive actually ordered Shit from Mr. Nice and plan to cross it to my DP at some point. I hope the offspring will turn out looking that great.

Thanks man! I picked up 3 cuts from diff moms. And this one was the resin chucker! It's my go to strain, she been a good girl so far! I also tried to find any info on durban it's not out there and to try and find info on crosses with durban good luck... Mine has a sweet taste really hard to describe kind of like if a black jelly bean and a clear gummie bear shagged... :) It smells like fruit,and rotten flesh, and juicy fruit gum when growing, and the skunk is a undertone until the last month then you better be rocking a good filter ;) And good call on the Mr Nice seeds anything by him is sure to have a keeper! Peace and puffs

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Thanks man! I picked up 3 cuts from diff moms. And this one was the resin chucker! It's my go to strain, she been a good girl so far! I also tried to find any info on durban it's not out there and to try and find info on crosses with durban good luck... Mine has a sweet taste really hard to describe kind of like if a black jelly bean and a clear gummie bear shagged... :) It smells like fruit,and rotten flesh, and juicy fruit gum when growing, and the skunk is a undertone until the last month then you better be rocking a good filter ;) And good call on the Mr Nice seeds anything by him is sure to have a keeper! Peace and puffs

Now those are some smells I would like to enjoy from an 'Early Durban'. Im finishing up some of Seedsman Early Durbans, and Im pretty disappointed with the smell. Low odor, and I can't find any anise/black licorise smell in them. They smell mildly sweet & a bit fruity. I want something real stinky.

I also got two hermies for my trouble..Thanks Seedsman. Good job!

I

icon

Ill make sure to make seeds with all my ladies and males, and send them into the boo for a server fund or as freebies, but it will take around 4 months or so.

Ill post a link to my new grow journal later tonight. Still have to get things set up.

Id like to thank you two for showing interest. Just like I expected on my other site, my grow journal got 27 views after I posted that question, and not a single reply! :noway: Why even bother to have a journal if people wont even answer a single question?! Hopefully Ill get more interested people here :).
that would be really cool if you made seeds & sent them in im sure alot of people would appreciate it!
this is the biggest & hands down the best growing forum IMHO. im on another forum as well but its like a ghost town i use it to expand my research especially for breeders & strains that arnt mentioned on here.
i just remembered i got sams durban x skunk#1 for freebies a few years back & gave them to a friend if he doesnt plan on growing them i think i'll ask for them back.:dance013:

mule420

Now those are some smells I would like to enjoy from an 'Early Durban'. Im finishing up some of Seedsman Early Durbans, and Im pretty disappointed with the smell. Low odor, and I can't find any anise/black licorise smell in them. They smell mildly sweet & a bit fruity. I want something real stinky.

I also got two hermies for my trouble..Thanks Seedsman. Good job!

That sucks bro! Like I said my neighbor came over and asked if I had killed a skunk... Whoops time to turn on the filter... The MMJ store I picked it up from had 3 cuts labeled with some guys first name on them and sat there for weeks... When they were about dead I picked them up for cheap...

The only way to get seeds is for me is to CS one clone and hit the other with the pollen and hope hidden innersex traits don't screw me on the S1 seeds. I been looking on the boo and they have a bunch reg durban seeds I would like to get to cross with!

that would be really cool if you made seeds & sent them in im sure alot of people would appreciate it!
this is the biggest & hands down the best growing forum IMHO. im on another forum as well but its like a ghost town i use it to expand my research especially for breeders & strains that arnt mentioned on here.
i just remembered i got sams durban x skunk#1 for freebies a few years back & gave them to a friend if he doesnt plan on growing them i think i'll ask for them back.:dance013:

^ I think that's what I have.

If it was me I would throw all of them in a patch and let them shag... After I vegged for 6 weeks so I had monsters...
Anything skunk with Sams name on it has kicked my ass... Peace and puffs

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
i smoked some south african durban poison in maastricht like 10 years ago.
it was fucking killer, ripped me and my buddie apart. ppl here talk about it and say its a mild high but i remember it as really potent psychedelic weed. maybe its because i was young and used to crappy weed and hash but ill never forget this stuff.

Since African Seeds no longer offer anything.....I would say the closest thing to unadulterated Durban you can get is Durban Poison Amazing Special (or something like that) from High Quality Seeds. I'm not sure if it's any count nowadays though...6 or 7 years ago it was fairly decent, fairly close to the real deal.

I used to have a Durban cutting that was gifted to me by Chris from African Seeds about 10 years ago. It was sweat-inducing, running with the Zulu into battle bud...very stellar genetics. Tasted exactly like anise-seed/black licorice (yuck...I hate black licorice). Alas, that Durban along with MANY other genetics of mine were swiped by the "League of Black Helicopters".

It's funny because I often tell people that back in 92/93 I smoked some Durban Poison that completely ripped my head off with a pure blown psychodelic trip that last maybe 6-8 hours... when I tell them this they look at me like I'm insane as thier own experiances are of the "liquorice/anise mild/weak" version...

I'm glad that others have felt the true raw power of this herb.... I have high tolerance btw and cannot recreate that buzz or strength of impact with any of the current strains I run (Amnesia/SSH, Chocolope, Cheese, Casey Jones etc.. ) all of which pale in comparison to the sheer mindboggling ceilingless high I experianced back then smoking Durban Poison...

It might be fair to say that some plants produce more resin and or THC and or other active compounds... but I argue that there is a quality issue with most of the resin we grow today. (NL/Sk based everything)..

cheers
j :)

harold

It's funny because I often tell people that back in 92/93 I smoked some Durban Poison that completely ripped my head off with a pure blown psychodelic trip that last maybe 6-8 hours... when I tell them this they look at me like I'm insane as thier own experiances are of the "liquorice/anise mild/weak" version...

jamieshoes, do you think its because that durban was grown outdoors under the african sun?

cheers harry

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I think it possibly was, Harry :)

other friends of mine are currently running "experiments" to try to recreate a more natural "sun" by introducing different UV arrays to their indoor set ups.. some very interesting stuff :)

TropicalSon

Yeah those free Sam seeds are pretty good, I grew a few out indoor/outdoor, rockwool blocks and perlite for veg then straight out into crappy hard sandy clay mix for bloom, got about an ounce from two small fems about a foot and a half tall.

Smoked nice, typical floral Durban flavour, fat buds, that ounce came in three buds. Nothing to complain about, Sam does some good work.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Most of the varieties available now are just crappy skunk hybrids... a pure Durban sativa will not finish before 11-14 weeks unless it's been hybridised, as Durban is located at 29ºS, same photoperiod as Mexico or Nepal, so the plants will mature during the same time moreless.

Check out the african landraces from Tropical Seeds Company... they have some nice shit indeed!! They're working now in some Durban Poisons and many other interesting stuff, I'm sure they will be offering them in the future. You have another great african lines there meanwhile...

dsc_0910.jpg

dsc_0912.jpg

dsc_0010.jpg

:)

harold

mustafunk where did you find this info? not on this forum? ive notcied tropical seeds (ttsco.bhs) hasnt posted in a while?

cheers harry.........

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I was hoping to tell you guys where you could get some Afropips Durban Poison, but it looks like I bought the only pack available :(. Sorry guys. I also picked up his Swazi Red, which also was the only pack available as well.

At least Ill have 20 seeds to work with now. Hopefully something special will come out of them.

Ill probably start the grow journal in a couple of weeks. Ill update whenever I get it started.

Genghis Kush

Dutch Passions is excellent.

I have smoke a lot of herb in Durban and the surrounding areas and DPs version has phenos that I think compare to what you find there. some phenos are not so great, grow a bunch and select.

I have been smoking some that I harvested on sept 15 and the stuff is intense. Smells like lemon with a hint of anise in the background. buds are loose with some foxtailing.
This stuff is extremely mentally stimulating. almost difficult to handle after too much. my light weight friends could only do half a bong load and they where flying.
zero body, all head.

after a few days smoking this stuff, I had an epiphany and ended up contacting my Ex wife after six years of no contact and telling her I forgive and that I will always love her and be her friend.

that's huge for me.

this might be some of the best herb I have ever smoked, i'm not sure, anything that opens my heart and mind like that is extremely powerful. life changing.

right now I have it pollinated by some Transkei from Coffee Bay, and keeping my fingers crossed that I get some seeds from that.

I plan on ordering a bunch of packs in the future to do some selection and make more seeds

the dried buds look similar Mustafunks picture above but with a bit of foxtailing in the tips and little less red

Last edited: