What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How susceptible to frost is cannabis?

yardgrazer

I got down below 30 briefly, but the plants look okay. A touch of bud rot here and there but all in all really not bad. Probably helps how dry it's been.

calientecarlos

Veteran
Frost n snow they can handle strain dependent. Deep freeze not so sure.

I've dealt with snow a few years. I think it made it tastier n more potent if my foggy ass memory serves correct.

Circa 2013.

picture.php

Next day they looked fine.
picture.php

radioman

Well it got down to 30F this morning in my part of Vermont. I noticed today that alot of regular gardens are "Toast" now. When I put out my first set of plants - May 31st - it got down to 34F that night - They were a month old & I sexed them first so only females went in the ground. No cold Damage then & none now. I'm still not going to harvest anything until mid October...

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
frost doesn't affect quality in the least, by mid October these will have ripened and fattened up with a fresh coating of resin...

picture.php

quite often your weed will have more value after a frost like this Chem-sis which will soon be on the market as "acapulco gold".
picture.php

you're certain to enjoy the new fragrance your herb gains after a good frost when the newly dead leaves begin to ferment inside those colas in the hot sun that follows!

the wet beagle terp profile will make wicked blunts...

romanoweed

i dont know why, but the last two Posts from calientecarlos and chunkypics had bouth something magic to it..
The Plants look somehow improoved, i cant say how, but they have that magic dreamy vibe.

Possibly Plants can do a sprint, same as when you give them drought. Relasing more Substances. Like the Pictures from Marrocan grows. Improovement if done right?

LizardMan

ChunkyPigs - i agree with the smaller leaflets freezing then rotting into the bud and causing damage.

But is there much risk of the pistils getting frozen and dying/withering back and causing bud rot?

Nannymouse

Interesting.

I've read much of the Avesta and other 'supplemental' texts (because my opinion is that the Haoma/Soma is(or was at some point) actually Cannabis, not ephedra, or maybe a combo) and by some of the verses, it sounds as if there were multiple 'harvests'. The first was where the priests removed the top and one side branch. After that, the branches are mostly stripped down from the stem(I understood the process from childhood 'weeding' the pastures, we stomped and ripped the branches down from the mainstem, cuz we couldn't pull them and only so many tools, which the bigger people used). Then, whatever is left(i suppose the tallest, main stem) was taken in January. I would imagine that the 'last' harvest was one that was left to field ret for the fibre, and other material suitable firewood/kindling.

So i wonder if the priests took the first round for their religious use and perhaps seed collection. Perhaps the second round(home use?) was maybe after a frost, and the third was left for after other fall chores were finished, as the retting phase was going to need some time, anyway.

Well, it is conjecture that follows a belief pattern, so take it with some tolerance, please

blondie

I got a touch of frost on two out of four plants. They look fine, except,for,the yellowing.

Attachments

• 09FA96BC-7ACD-46B7-A891-53D538613EC7.jpg
    09FA96BC-7ACD-46B7-A891-53D538613EC7.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 4B638407-1089-44BE-A164-83802ABA3386.jpg
    4B638407-1089-44BE-A164-83802ABA3386.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 27

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
This girl (Swazi - 2019) went through 4 hard frosts and two deep overnight freezing before I pulled it down. The fan leaves took a beating, but the buds were perfect.
picture.php

LizardMan

These were hit a week ago, and all that happened was 2 very minor, and delt with spots of bud rot from sugar leafs wilting back into the bud

20200919_080747.jpg

20200919_080752_HDR.jpg

20200919_080736_HDR.jpg