What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

CDNINCA

Hey @Hombre del mont , glad to hear that you are getting some rain, hopefully not too much all at once! Where I live in Callifornia it sounds like we have similar weather. We've been in a drought for the past few years and thankfully we've been getting decent rain here this winter. Like where you live, we also hope that it ends up as snow in the nearby mountains as that's the water we use through the rest of the year when it slowly melts and refills the reservoirs.

Here's to a day indoors watching movies with a buzz on! Cheers!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hey @Hombre del mont , glad to hear that you are getting some rain, hopefully not too much all at once! Where I live in Callifornia it sounds like we have similar weather. We've been in a drought for the past few years and thankfully we've been getting decent rain here this winter. Like where you live, we also hope that it ends up as snow in the nearby mountains as that's the water we use through the rest of the year when it slowly melts and refills the reservoirs.

Here's to a day indoors watching movies with a buzz on! Cheers!
Thanks brother.

We need the rain desperately, but more than 24 hrs without seeing the sun!, let alone a whole week. These old houses aren't set up for rain; we have a couple of buckets in the kitchen, but that's cool.

It's early evening now and we'll redose with something very spacey and watch "Anatomy of a murder", the old James Stewart film from 1959. (An all time classic and 3 hours).

blondie

Where is everybody?????? Soaking seeds???? Tried some cob...can't get off the couch???? :wave:
I need to do a bit more cob...put a new carburetor on my 39 Ford 9N and it still won't run right!!!:hotbounce
Get out your screw driver and start tweaking those carb settings. I’ve only messed with a few 70s Koehler carbs but assume there’s got to be something on the 39 to tweak. Fuel filter? Line kinked?

Tangwena

Veteran
Tried some cob...can't get off the couch?
The exact opposite brother I have been tripping out every day on a newly opened cob of Mulanje from 2021.
I haven't had more than an hour here an hour there of sleep for a week ha ha.
I finally got two, four hour sleep sessions last night I feel FANTASTIC ha ha.

I have had to cut out coffee after 12 noon, its the only way I can get a decent kip ha ha.
Its easier to stop chewing cob than stopping coffee ha ha.
But I'm getting heaps of work done I'm like a machine ha ha.
Even had time for a bit of wild life photography at the beach.

Its hard to catch a gull with its mouth fully open like this. Its all time and place.

1711654903251.jpeg

Buzzzzd

there’s got to be something on the 39 to tweak.
I was so hoping that the new carb was going to do it!!!! I have tweaked my feeble brains out!!!! :whee:
I guess that I'll need to pull the new carb and pull it apart and check the float and needle valve....but I'm at the age that I'm almost afraid to start poking into stuff because it never ends well.
Poor Fred, he has served me well for 30 years...
Fred.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
I was so hoping that the new carb was going to do it!!!! I have tweaked my feeble brains out!!!! :whee:
I guess that I'll need to pull the new carb and pull it apart and check the float and needle valve....but I'm at the age that I'm almost afraid to start poking into stuff because it never ends well.
Poor Fred, he has served me well for 30 years...
View attachment 18981019
I'm no mechanic but my 3 carbies on my outboard are working fine since I took them apart.
The float chambers had so much crap in them that its a wonder they worked at all.
I just googled them and some mechanic said they were the simplest carbies out there.

That got me going, never pulled one apart in my life.
But a bit of Mulanje cob and 8 hours later everythings running smooth as silk.
Simple case of crap blocking everything up they obviously had never been cleaned in their 20 years of working.
On the right cob my fault finding is out of this world.
I've been getting all kinds of stuff done from carpentry to painting and mechanics. Just stripped the brakes on my trailer re greased everything they look like new again.
One of my LED pannels stopped working the cheap selector switch had fried up.
Ripped it off soldered all the contacts closed works a treat now.
Whats next?

Going to be fishing in a weeks time going up to my desert fishing camp for a month.
Its a given that I will kill the pig. I can feel it in my bones ha ha. Suns up time to get going ha ha.

gumzgi

I know someone who, every year when the harvest comes,he collects all the buds and throws them on a piece of wood or directly on the ground/cement under hot sun.
Everything I've smoked from him tastes extremely good even the bud that he dryed that crumble like dust.
I smoked some bud today that was dried by this person that he kept it in jar, its like 7 months in the jar I smoked today and you have to leave the bud to dry for at least another day, it smokes like the cob, it taste so good and lasts time and the whole house smells of skunk, these buds looks alot like cobs and smokes like the best cobs i had. I am very sure that it is a myth that the sun destroys your weed..

Tangwena

Veteran
I am very sure that it is a myth that the sun destroys your weed..
Yeah I reckon there are a lot of myths that have sprung up in the time forums have been popular.
Anybody would think cannabis was some sort of alien plant the amount of special ways it has to be treated to preserve the delicate trichomes from damage ha ha.
Sun grown sun dried works for me ha ha.
Led grown sun dried also.

LHC

Yesterday I sampled my Thai Chi cured buds and cob. Both are now 3 months since old.
Cured buds are almost at the peak. Lovely multilayer, mellow, slightly psychedelic and spiritual high. It has this fantastic inner wind of energy in a blissfull mellow envelope.
Cobs still just gets me very stoned. The high is more like a deep empty universe.
Now I will leave it for at least three months and then see how it has developed.

Tangwena

Veteran
Yesterday I sampled my Thai Chi cured buds and cob. Both are now 3 months since old.
Cured buds are almost at the peak. Lovely multilayer, mellow, slightly psychedelic and spiritual high. It has this fantastic inner wind of energy in a blissfull mellow envelope.
Cobs still just gets me very stoned. The high is more like a deep empty universe.
Now I will leave it for at least three months and then see how it has developed.
Any pics of the buds and the cob now?
Cobs in my experience are super stony when young 3 months old is the start of the change for the better.
9 months is prime time for more Euphoric results.
The Thai Chi should be one that improves with age cob wise.

LHC

Any pics of the buds and the cob now?
Cobs in my experience are super stony when young 3 months old is the start of the change for the better.
9 months is prime time for more Euphoric results.
The Thai Chi should be one that improves with age cob wise.
Hi @Tangwena
No pics right now, but the cobs look exactly like they did 2 months ago. Here is a pic of them at feb.8.
It is very interesting to follow how they evolve.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi @Tangwena
No pics right now, but the cobs look exactly like they did 2 months ago. Here is a pic of them at feb.8.
It is very interesting to follow how they evolve.
Nice they look good to go. Hopefully the aging does its magic, it usually does.
I dont touch mine until 9 months usually the high looses that heavy stoned feeling.
I'm currently enjoying some 3 year old Mulanje its just so uplifting and makes me want to get into things.
Anything even stuff I normally dont enjoy I find rewarding.
I love the effect I haven't found it anywhere else except Swazi and crossed to my Mulanje is my next grow. Well both of them actually I need to put down some more Mulanje for the future ha ha.

manedwolf

What a thread!! I have been reading through the pages for months now and just finally finished up. I want to give a big thanks to Tangwena for sharing this method. Also, to everyone that has contributed and shared their experiences. It's pretty cool to think of how many lives have been positively impacted by this thread. All the people who have transitioned from heavy smoking to "Chewing" instead, and all the health benefits that go along with it.

I just finished making a few cobs from the plants I had going and love the process. I'll let them age as long as I can hold out, ha! Just starting some Malawi, Thai, Panama, and Killer A5 from ACE and if all goes well, I'll be cobbing again in December.

Next time I check my first batch, I'll take a couple pics and post them here.

Thanks again dudes!!

oldmaninbc

What a thread!! I have been reading through the pages for months now and just finally finished up. I want to give a big thanks to Tangwena for sharing this method. Also, to everyone that has contributed and shared their experiences. It's pretty cool to think of how many lives have been positively impacted by this thread. All the people who have transitioned from heavy smoking to "Chewing" instead, and all the health benefits that go along with it.

I just finished making a few cobs from the plants I had going and love the process. I'll let them age as long as I can hold out, ha! Just starting some Malawi, Thai, Panama, and Killer A5 from ACE and if all goes well, I'll be cobbing again in December.

Thanks again dudes!!
I'm old and take medications that effect my concentration. It would be very difficult for me to read anything that is lengthy and stay focused. By any chance in your reading did you see where it summarized the technique of producing a cob?

Tangwena

Veteran
I'm old and take medications that effect my concentration. It would be very difficult for me to read anything that is lengthy and stay focused. By any chance in your reading did you see where it summarized the technique of producing a cob?
Its easy my friend just harvest the buds as per your usual way and dry them to a stage that is close to where you would usually jar them but still a little too moist for jar curing.

Get a vacuum sealer and seal the buds up in a vacuum bag, you can roll them up in maize husk or straight into the bag loose it doesn't matter.

Then place the vacuum sealed buds in a warm environment anywhere from say 30c to 40c.

Once you see the buds start changing color to (yellows and browns fall colors) open the bag and air dry the buds to remove surface moisture ( sweat) then reseal and repeat. Do this weekly if needed.

Page 409 has some good pics from myself and others on what to look for and when.

Tangwena

Veteran

Thanks again dudes!!
Welcome to the cob club brother.
The world is a different place chewing the cob thats for sure ha ha.

StickyBandit

The vacuum pack method seems pretty bullet proof but there are many more refined methods

Dry your weed to about 65%RH and remove the stalks

Roll it tight in wax paper before vacuum packing, like a short fat cigar to get a nice shape then remove the paper

Vac it and keep it warm at say 30-40°c for about 24 hours

Remove it and dry it slowly then vac it again for about a week

Remove from the bag and check it and dry it more if not totally dry, gently and slowly ready to vacuum pack again

Check again a month or so later to make sure it's properly dry then store indefinitely, that's basically how I do it.
Just don't leave any moisture in for long storage and don't overheat it or rush it, easy :)

It's pretty hard to make a mistake as long as you don't store it damp

Edit: Sorry I posted also, but I'll leave it here anyway :p
This is a basic version but listen to the masters!

Last edited: