What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1989 NL 5

GoatCheese

Veteran
Yea, alot of Nevil’s posts have disappeared and i don’t have many of his posts saved regarding NL.

Iirc, Nevil was still on MNS forums when NLGreg paid a visit there to post info about the NL lines the first time, and i think i saw Nevil commenting on the Hawaiian not Thai in NL5- info by writing something like

”I may have perpetuated the myth”
... meaning myth about the Thai in NL5. I’m fairly sure he used the word perpetuated in his post but these threads are gone now. Pity.

Please post the quote of him "corrected himself" because from what I remember Nevil left the forums before the Hawaiian BS came out.
NL Seattle Greg joined MNS forums March 21, 2011

Nevil’s last visit on MNS forums was April 26, 2012

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
So Sensi's Northern Lights isn't anything special? Wonder what the THC% is. 20? 30? I always wanted to get something from Sensi. Ordered the catalog once. 5 euro. Read it on the packed subway back before decriminalization. Got some reactions." Hey! "
Ben Dronkers just had his birthday. I still like Sensi but they need something that tests 30%

goingrey

So Sensi's Northern Lights isn't anything special? Wonder what the THC% is. 20? 30? I always wanted to get something from Sensi. Ordered the catalog once. 5 euro. Read it on the packed subway back before decriminalization. Got some reactions." Hey! "
Ben Dronkers just had his birthday. I still like Sensi but they need something that tests 30%
16-21% seems to be what the online dispensary aggregator sites say for NL (in general, not necessarily Sensi).

Sensi has some modern (high THC) stuff in their "Sensi Seeds Research" line. Cheap fem beans.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Yea, alot of Nevil’s posts have disappeared and i don’t have many of his posts saved regarding NL.

Iirc, Nevil was still on MNS forums when NLGreg paid a visit there to post info about the NL lines the first time, and i think i saw Nevil commenting on the Hawaiian not Thai in NL5- info by writing something like

”I may have perpetuated the myth”
... meaning myth about the Thai in NL5. I’m fairly sure he used the word perpetuated in his post but these threads are gone now. Pity.

NL Seattle Greg joined MNS forums March 21, 2011

Nevil’s last visit on MNS forums was April 26, 2012
The "Perpetrated" quote was posted before NLGreg joined MNS and was said in regards to Dr Atomics Northern Lights.
Screenshot_20221228-110945_Samsung Internet.jpg

William76

Didn't Mel start with it at f2 or f3?,iv not tried my pack yet, popping them soon though,can't make up my mind melvanetics,empyrean or 1 of the other nl lines iv got,76

Raho

Veteran
@willydread @RoyalFlush @Raho

The posts have been wiped from MNS but GoatCheese has copied them here:
Thanks Grey. I went up there after replying to William and found the same thing.
Someone archiving some of his stuff here was very lucky.
There should be a dedicated thread for people to post screen shots they have saved of Nev's old MNS posts (I have a few). Clearly the current host of Nevil's story may not be interested in keeping it all public forever.

Thanks @hempy,76
It sucks that some of his posts/threads are gone. Will make it easier for people to forget what he said and folks with better memories will eventually just stop correcting the story.

Nothing Hempy posted or any of the posts archived here at the mag support what you claimed Nev said.

goingrey

Thanks Grey. I went up there after replying to William and found the same thing.
Someone archiving some of his stuff here was very lucky.
There should be a dedicated thread for people to post screen shots they have saved of Nev's old MNS posts (I have a few). Clearly the current host of Nevil's story may not be interested in keeping it all public forever.
Yes it's a shame some of Nevil's writings on MNS have been censored.

But we must also remember that he was commenting on 20-30 year old things. Sometimes saying contradictory things. Like the Haze that was "from the last crop grown in the US" in the old Seed Bank catalogue and "grown in America in 69/70" when Nevil came back. So while it may be the best info we have it should still be taken with a grain of salt.

swampthing

Nevil thought that Nl5 (the cutting) contained thai, but then corrected himself when the Hawaiian thing came out, the Nl5 he got later was lower for several reasons, including the fact that a seedline is not like a cutting selected...
A lot of info is written all over the place, and even Seattle Greg explained it a few times....
When you say Hawaiian, my thoughts goto thinking about Caribbean heirloom strains. Like Jamaican heirlooms, which I would guess that their heritage stems from varietals coming from India, Africa, and South and Central America dating back to the Spice & Slave Trade daze. Of course not including modern lines like Skunks etc that have been introduced over the last 40 years.
Reason I mention this is bc I would assume older Hawaiian heirloom lines may stem from Thailand and other landraces that have acclimated and developed over time.

Just a theory on my part

goingrey

When you say Hawaiian, my thoughts goto thinking about Caribbean heirloom strains. Like Jamaican heirlooms, which I would guess that their heritage stems from varietals coming from India, Africa, and South and Central America dating back to the Spice & Slave Trade daze. Of course not including modern lines like Skunks etc that have been introduced over the last 40 years.
Reason I mention this is bc I would assume older Hawaiian heirloom lines may stem from Thailand and other landraces that have acclimated and developed over time.

Just a theory on my part
My thoughts go to Afghans and Mexicans introduced to Hawaii in the 70s and after..

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Thai and above all Mexican first, then Afghan .... (but also Jamaican, African, a lot of stuff)
Explorers, BOELs, hippies, a lot of people have been introducing genetic after genetic to those islands...
For what I know the hawaiian used in Nl5 was mexi/ghani...

It's quite a busy time of year for me to dedicate to my family and I can't waste my time searching the various forums where I've read things (taking into account the fact that many things have been changed/deleted) and I do not claim to be believed, therefore, read,read,search, read....

TheDarkStorm

The key with nevils nl5 cutting and why it cant be replicated.....if the seeds sent to him actually were usa nl#5 x what greg sent as #1 to nevil..that would mean it was steve murphy's afghan clone x nevils mazar....so nevils nl#5 clone would come from usa nl#5 x murphys afghan/nevils mazar....and the clone he selected he couldn't find anything similar in the rest of the seed.....would that be correct ??...the nl#5 being sold by greg now would be no were near the same now as the famous nl#5 clone or the pedigree of it.... the key would be............ afghan/sativa x mazar/afghan...if im correct.

goingrey

The key with nevils nl5 cutting and why it cant be replicated.....if the seeds sent to him actually were usa nl#5 x what greg sent as #1 to nevil..that would mean it was steve murphy's afghan clone x nevils mazar....so nevils nl#5 clone would come from usa nl#5 x murphys afghan/nevils mazar....and the clone he selected he couldn't find anything similar in the rest of the seed.....would that be correct ??...the nl#5 being sold by greg now would be no were near the same now as the famous nl#5 clone or the pedigree of it.... the key would be............ afghan/sativa x mazar/afghan...if im correct.
Pure conjecture?

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Hi anybody knew something about NL9 ?
Screenshot_20221229_213128_Chrome.jpg

I would like to know if anybody have some infos on NL x Afg 1.
Sounds great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts