What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fastest Flowering of the New Malawi Hybrids?

The Hatter

Veteran
I picked up one tester seed of each of the Malawi x Panama, Panama x Malawi. Guawi and Bangi x Panama and I was wondering which of these strains is least likely to throw out a long flowering pheno? I really don't want to end up going much over 12 weeks on this next run because there will be short flowering neighbors this time around and I don't want to hold up the flowering room for a single plant. I know when tropical sativa genetics are involved there is always a chance you will get one that just goes a lot longer than expected but which of these strains is least likely to do that?

Last edited:

Dr.King

Veteran
I picked up one tester seed of each of the Malawi x Panama, Panama x Malawi. Guawi and Bangi x Panama and I was wondering which of these strains is least likely to throw out a long flowering pheno? I really don't want to end up going much over 12 weeks on this next run because there will be short flowering neighbors this time around and I don't want to hold up the flowering room for a single plant. I know when tropical sativa genetics are involved there is always a chance you will get one that just goes a lot longer than expected but which of these strains is least likely to do that?

Greetings, great question Hatter. I would say to your topic the Bangi haze x Panama then Malawi x Panama would be next. The Bh x H would take 11 or 12 weeks depending on the pheno type you may find a longer flowering one. The Malawi x P if it's half Panama and not heavy leaning Malawi it'd probably take 14 weeks. Any of the choices you do pick will be potent and top quality. Looking forward to your grow man. Happy growing.

The Hatter

Veteran
Greetings, great question Hatter. I would say to your topic the Bangi haze x Panama then Malawi x Panama would be next. The Bh x H would take 11 or 12 weeks depending on the pheno type you may find a longer flowering one. The Malawi x P if it's half Panama and not heavy leaning Malawi it'd probably take 14 weeks. Any of the choices you do pick will be potent and top quality. Looking forward to your grow man. Happy growing.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of running one of the Malawi hybrids but 14 weeks really is pushing it for this next run which will be short flowering strains that go 9-10 weeks. Normally 14 weeks would be doable for me, but not when the entire rest of the room will be finishing over a month faster than that.

Still, I've been eyeing Ace's Malawi for years and never gotten around to picking it up so maybe I will just bite the bullet and hope I get a short flowering one. I'm really overdue for some better luck with my garden after this last winter.

I know this is a really new strain but has anyone else had experience with the Malawi x Panama going longer than expected? I would just like to get a better idea of what a worst case scenario would look like for flower time on this one.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi The Hatter,

Thanks for supporting our latest limited editions. They are sativa hybrids, but very tamed and highly worked. Thanks Dr King for the accurate reply, Panama x Bangi Haze would be the earliest in average, then Panama x Malawi.

Have you ever consider Malawi x PCK ? Many interesting and killer phenos can be found in this 50/50, and the flowering is quite fast. Best wishes!

The Hatter

Veteran
Hi The Hatter,

Thanks for supporting our latest limited editions. They are sativa hybrids, but very tamed and highly worked. Thanks Dr King for the accurate reply, Panama x Bangi Haze would be the earliest in average, then Panama x Malawi.

Have you ever consider Malawi x PCK ? Many interesting and killer phenos can be found in this 50/50, and the flowering is quite fast. Best wishes!

For whatever reason kushes and other heavy indicas just don't agree with me at all which is why I didn't pick up the Malawi X PCK. I was originally going to grab the Nep Jam x Kali China for this next grow, but I put off the purchase for too long and it sold out. Even the Malawi will likely be a bit on the heavy and narcotic side for my tastes which is why I liked the idea of picking up some of the crosses that were made with it and the cleaner and less paralyzing sativas like Tikal and Panama.

Normally, I don't mind medium long flowering sats that are in the 12 to 14 week range, but I had a catastrophe in my garden this winter that cost me all my best yielding mothers that I'd been collecting for years. It forced me to try my luck with a bunch of seeds this spring and although most of the plants produced high quality smoke the yield was less than a third of what I am used to. I had a couple of plants that barely yielding an ounce each and I lost another to a hermie problem which was really my own fault for using genetics with a known history of throwing nanners.

I'm limited to flowering a limited number of plants at a time by my medical license so this has basically left me in a position where I will be running out of medicine WAY sooner than usual. I just don't have the luxury of waiting a full four months until my next harvest which is a shame. I guess it's silly to be indecisive about it and further delay everything. I just need to make up my mind pronto and get some seeds in the ground. I think I'll probably just go for it and cross my fingers I don't get an unusually long flowering pheno. They say luck favors the bold and I miss having proper sativas to smoke.

Edit: Thanks for the advice and I'm going to roll my dice with the Bangi x Panama and the Malawi x Panama. I'm looking forward to growing some real sativas again. I've never had a dud with Ace so I can at least be secure in the knowledge that if they do go long they will be worth the wait. Nothing is worse than holding up the flowering room for what turns out to be a dud.

Last edited:

afgan11

i have afghan x malawi and but soon 12/12. i hope it will be 10-12weeks pheno. looks so sativa in veg stage. now 8weeks old lol.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I had a couple of plants that barely yielding an ounce each

My Malawi x Panama is showing signs of a tremendous harvest. I have been staking her up as the month old buds are already bending her branches.. I expect she'll be 12-14 weeks. I know she has been my quickest pure sativa this run, beating Malawi and Panama Haze

Here she is at just about 5 weeks of flowering
picture.php

Ncali

Veteran
My Panama x Malawi was a huge yielder for my garden. Frosty top shelf quality to boot. She is definitely my best yield v quality ratio in the stable, our sssdh edges her out ever so slightly in quality of high.. tied in strength (A++++) but Panlawi crushes in yield. All this to say: it's worth the extra 2-3 weeks man. Don't sweat it that much... too fine of herb to sweat a few extra weeks (as I'm sure you know)

Maybe you will find a keeper, maybe not. After running just one fem seed from the pack, I feel lucky to find a girl worth keeping. But with ace I've found a higher ratio of desirable traits than other companies per pack. So a little luck for me and a lot of work from ace..and we have a keeper Panlawi. At the very least you will end up with high quality bud, and in my book that's not someting to scoff at. So best of luck in your search for new mother plants, yay for exploring seeds:woohoo:

:tiphat:
NC

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
"Crushes in yield" I bet. The cross looks good either way.

I'd suggest Kali China for something quicker but with a quality high. Her high is definitely on the sativa side and she yields very well.