What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

no mention anywhere of % weight change per day of curing?

phunkeeboodah

also last year at this time i lost many newly planted sprouts to the humidity drop. which kind of makes this plant that i ended up with special and maybe due to the moroccan genetics. this plant grew like a tropical palm tree with giant light green fan leaves and the other plants were dark green and barely a fraction of this plants size and speed and barely looked like they would make it and when they did pull through they still grew ultra slow. so i know this plant is good for keeping through the winter

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
from Ed Rosenthal...

picture.php

Serious question, do people read anymore?

The sooner the better! That being said, as soon as your buds are/will be stable jar them.

The object of drying is to make sure your bud is at X humidity throughout. Nothing more nothing less. Everyone wants the PILL that will fix every and anything. Fuggedaboutit that's not going to happen.

If you want to speed up the process over the recommended low and slow, you wind up with crispy critters on the outside, while full of moisture on the inside, that has not permeated to the surface yet. I Prefer... [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]During the drying phase my tent is set at ambient temp 68/70 and 60%, which takes a week to ten days. Some large buds will take a day or so longer. The other part is important and goes against the grain (THC degradation (because higher oxygen concentrations in the jar)) of loosely packing your buds in the jar, loose is where it needs to be. Since I know large buds will contain more moisture, I will jar those separately (different jar), with some smaller ones that may be dryer than the avg. It reduces the burping required.

In the end, it is whatever floats your individual boats. :tiphat:
[/FONT]

phunkeeboodah

i can't argue with that, and did some googling about it and will take your advice on storage. although i read that freezing will preserve the thc based on a 4 year test

next year will want to establish a theory of weight change from chop to trim, and from trimmed to cured. will be simple to do next year and maybe will try another strain(s) also

i will say though, oven bags make things very easy and there may be something to it being open at all times, just enough for the chemical processes in the buds to push warm moist air out while drawing room air in. and then no more opening containers just turn the bag around likes it's some cotton candy and weigh it. the openings of the bags continuously smell like blueberry pancakes, it is easy to do a quick smell and visual check without opening

i will report back if there is mold but it seems the buds are losing less weight now in the second week of curing..(or are they still drying?...muhahahah another thread lol)

thedudefresco

that chart corresponds to years in Storage tho, presumably "well stored" so not in the presence of lots of oxygen.

Im wondering how much faster fresh oxygen degrades thc. Does this mean that at a huge scale, you can't simply rig a room to be climate controlled to store your buds? Seems like that to me. Because you would also need a method of preventing oxygen such as jars or a vacuum seal.

thedudefresco

from Ed Rosenthal...

The object of drying is to make sure your bud is at X humidity throughout. Nothing more nothing less.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Lets say my ambient room humidity is about 70, constantly, and nugs have been hang drying in there.

If i jar those nugs, the humidity might stay about 70 in the jars. This would be stable yeah?

But isnt this a bit too high for other reasons? Do you mean bud at X humidity throughout when X < 65 ?

using "65" as shorthand for low mold risk

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Lets say my ambient room humidity is about 70, constantly, and nugs have been hang drying in there.

If i jar those nugs, the humidity might stay about 70 in the jars. This would be stable yeah?

But isnt this a bit too high for other reasons? Do you mean bud at X humidity throughout when X < 65 ?

using "65" as shorthand for low mold risk
Yes that would be correct, in principle :) Some prefer dryer weed, so they will adjust differently. I prefer to feel adequate moisture on my finger tips (when ground).

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
that chart corresponds to years in Storage tho, presumably "well stored" so not in the presence of lots of oxygen.

Im wondering how much faster fresh oxygen degrades thc. Does this mean that at a huge scale, you can't simply rig a room to be climate controlled to store your buds? Seems like that to me. Because you would also need a method of preventing oxygen such as jars or a vacuum seal.
If you want to argue with Ed, go ahead. That being said bring your conclusion to the table. I'm not about to re-invent the wheel, sorry. All I know is I do my damnedest to minimize natural phenomenons. I keep my buds after cure in the smallest container available. Call me anal! I'm cool with that. I'm not churning and burning.

That being said, even your "controlled room" contains "fresh oxygen"!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
i can't argue with that, and did some googling about it and will take your advice on storage. although i read that freezing will preserve the thc based on a 4 year test

next year will want to establish a theory of weight change from chop to trim, and from trimmed to cured. will be simple to do next year and maybe will try another strain(s) also

i will say though, oven bags make things very easy and there may be something to it being open at all times, just enough for the chemical processes in the buds to push warm moist air out while drawing room air in. and then no more opening containers just turn the bag around likes it's some cotton candy and weigh it. the openings of the bags continuously smell like blueberry pancakes, it is easy to do a quick smell and visual check without opening

i will report back if there is mold but it seems the buds are losing less weight now in the second week of curing..(or are they still drying?...muhahahah another thread lol)
Most people do not have weed stored that long, for a reason.

There are many methods in curing. Perhaps you have stumbled upon one, no one else has. Based on this audience I doubt it.

You're from Ontario. Why is your ambient RH 20%??

phunkeeboodah

humidity really dropped for a few days at least inside with the heat on, just by chance it went back up again after i trimmed

i spoke too soon about the buds still losing 1% per day they are now five days into the second week of being bagged and weight change seems to be coming to halt. so i let some of the air out of the bags and tied them back up and put all of them into the remaining oven bag for a double seal aka the first official seal in the process

some type of double sealed light proof method in the crisper may suit my needs though ur right it's just to last the year

redlaser

Veteran
Eventually you will be able to judge proper dryness by feel, moisture levels above 12% are easy to detect versus 9% and under where it starts getting more brittle.
Regulating temp and humidity at 60-65 is ideal, ten days tops to be finished usually that way, unless you are adding fresh material to that drying room over a period of weeks, in that case it can go longer as the room “equalizes”.

phunkeeboodah

actually tried a 2/3g nug in a joint after putting everything in the second oven bag and find out for the first time the inside of the bud is moist-ish and/or sticky yet the joint burns easily. it is still very green though inside and smokes with the green taste. the high is a bit heavy yet long lasting although still not quite there. i did get high five times off that joint so it is not bad for potency (so far?)

it is almost two weeks after bagging and now everything being sealed in the outer oven bag i guess means the cure is now starting considering the test smoke. so i guess until now the weed was still just drying. now with the seal and most of the oxygen and moisture gone is when the cure begins and will regularly open to check depending(?)

thedudefresco

If you want to argue with Ed, go ahead. That being said bring your conclusion to the table. I'm not about to re-invent the wheel, sorry. All I know is I do my damnedest to minimize natural phenomenons. I keep my buds after cure in the smallest container available. Call me anal! I'm cool with that. I'm not churning and burning.

That being said, even your "controlled room" contains "fresh oxygen"!

Hey I don't think I was clear in what I was saying. I'm actually in agreement w/you and Ed, I believe.

A controlled room does have fresh oxygen! And because of this, my conclusion--based off of what you shared and the Ed Chart--is that the buds stored in this room would still need to be in jars or some sort or sealed container in order to prevent degradation via Oxygen.

What I'm curious about, is understanding THC degradation as a function of the amount of TIME buds are exposed to Oxygen (in an unsealed environment, such as the hypothetical climate controlled room.)

Eds Chart does not appear to show this, because its safe to assume he is storing his buds in a sealed environment. Ed's chart is showing THC degradation as a function of time spent in "proper" storage.

I would like to see another chart, laid out the same way as Ed's above, but where the buds are unsealed rather than sealed.

Both you and I would hypothesize that THC degradation would occur at a faster rate when buds are UNsealed than when Sealed. But finding out exactly how fast this processes occurs could be educational insofar as developing a high potency drying workflow, with the drying just slow enough to preserve desired characteristics, while "fast" enough to limit unnecessary THC degradation by exposure to oxygen.

:angelshug:

SuperBadGrower

What I'm curious about, is understanding THC degradation as a function of the amount of TIME buds are exposed to Oxygen (in an unsealed environment, such as the hypothetical climate controlled room.)

Just leave buds in your room for a year and you'll know what you need to know :biggrin:

A jar or a closed container contains about as much oxygen as the room you sleep in. guys at scale manipulate atmosphere for preservation: nitrogen, argon, CO2 or vacuum, for example. Ironically I'm pretty sure only legal weed gets stored for that long.
I would wager there is almost no difference, or none at all, between jarred weed and weed that has been left in a controlled room for the same amount of time. Jar stored weed eventually turns brown just the same. Which I assume to be oxidation

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hey I don't think I was clear in what I was saying. I'm actually in agreement w/you and Ed, I believe.

A controlled room does have fresh oxygen! And because of this, my conclusion--based off of what you shared and the Ed Chart--is that the buds stored in this room would still need to be in jars or some sort or sealed container in order to prevent degradation via Oxygen.

Eds Chart does not appear to show this, because its safe to assume he is storing his buds in a sealed environment. Ed's chart is showing THC degradation as a function of time spent in "proper" storage.

I would like to see another chart, laid out the same way as Ed's above, but where the buds are unsealed rather than sealed.

Both you and I would hypothesize that THC degradation would occur at a faster rate when buds are UNsealed than when Sealed. But finding out exactly how fast this processes occurs could be educational insofar as developing a high potency drying workflow, with the drying just slow enough to preserve desired characteristics, while "fast" enough to limit unnecessary THC degradation by exposure to oxygen.

:angelshug:
Hey I'm no expert on this :)

I simply did a ton of research on the subject and corroborated said research. I learn something new almost daily. But, I've always stated... it is whatever works for you in your environment.

Wrt your last para, at my age it is not something I want or need to know. I mainline my girls and stick to my post harvest routine. I developed what I do based on my environment and growing conditions. If it ain't broke, don't frigg with it.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thc degrades faster in an open environment vs anaerobic. When herb turns brown with time, that is from oxidation, the same thing also breaks thc down over time and decarboxylizes it. It is very similar to wine regarding storage. Temperature and humidity control is ideal in a wine cellar at 57 degrees with humidity around that 62% mark. I keep my jars in my eurocave(wine cooler with humidity control set to 57 degrees), they 100% stay greener and fresher when kept in there.

phunkeeboodah

i don't think the cure is getting any better so i'm going to make dry ice hash with it lol. luck of the draw i guess this weed smokes harsh and the high is incomplete, like there is a lingering heaviness and initial rush but the main body of the high is not there and then the dry mouth and headache. the hash high is good though. will try some other strains for next year

got a hanging scale from amazon though so will be ready for next year to weigh from moment of chop

also, doing a water cure of a few buds and wondered if best to water cure before making dry ice hash

Attachments

• 2020-10-27_14_days_1.jpg
    2020-10-27_14_days_1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 2020-10-27_14_days_2.jpg
    2020-10-27_14_days_2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 55
  • 2020-10-27_14_days_3.jpg
    2020-10-27_14_days_3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 58

phunkeeboodah

...and for the proper experiment use the weighing method with two plants of the same strain but keep one in the normal environment aka the room and one in a tent with humidifier

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
i don't think the cure is getting any better so i'm going to make dry ice hash with it lol. luck of the draw i guess this weed smokes harsh and the high is incomplete, like there is a lingering heaviness and initial rush but the main body of the high is not there and then the dry mouth and headache. the hash high is good though. will try some other strains for next year

got a hanging scale from amazon though so will be ready for next year to weigh from moment of chop

also, doing a water cure of a few buds and wondered if best to water cure before making dry ice hash
Didn't learn a thing. Did you son?