What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with too many tops for Half whiskey barrel grow

thedudefresco

Hi.

I’ve grown outdoors for a few years but this is my first year growing in a container rather than in the ground.

This plant has been growing since feb but started to flower in April due to a mismanaged gas lantern routine.

In may it started revegging. I stripped it, and it came back with a vengeance.

There are too many tops though for the container I fear.

Should I remove some?

Attachments

• C1ADB2FB-AC44-41C2-B6D0-A11991B6050A.jpg
    C1ADB2FB-AC44-41C2-B6D0-A11991B6050A.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 79

LizardMan

I would let it go and see how it manages, clean the under canopy when flower hits and just keep it watered and fertilized well!

green-genes77

Veteran
I would LST it outward to open up the middle and, as suggested above, clean up the bottoms early in flower thoroughly, leaving only the infrastructure for colas.

Yes this will ultimately give you more tops but my first inclination in looking at that setup is that you should be looking more at making those many tops productive rather than concentrating growth into a smaller number of shoots. I would advise you lean into it, keep all of the healthy/vigorous tops, and either LST outward or supercrop to get more light into the center of the plant.

Just make sure you're prepared to feed enough to support all that growth, as LizardMan said.

dirty-joe

Hi.

There are too many tops though for the container I fear.

Should I remove some?

I agree with your fear, and yes you should remove some, probably many.

There will be lots of opinions on this one I imagine, and mine is that bushy is good, but everything has limits. If that plant is left to grow out as is you'll have very spindly branches, and nothing but popcorn to trim at harvest, there won't be any what I'd call a cola. If it were mine I'd prune it back to 1 to 2 dozen tops max.

LizardMan

My experience is the size of container will limit his overall plant size, i.e. a 50 gal container will be able to house a bigger plant then a 20 gal ( this is outdoor soil grown), its up to him how he wants to go about it, lst, trimming bottoms, only keeping a select few branches or just letting nature do its thing is how

theJointedOne

Veteran
Just keep it simple, clean out the bottoms, and support the branches with a simple cage/netting trellis system.

Don't listen to the hype or gro lore.. just try to keep the nutrition up so she rides through till the end

thedudefresco

Thanks everyone for the responses. Really appreciate this community.

For now, I have decided to let it continue growing as is, and postpone my decision a few more weeks.

If you guys want I’ll keeep you posted with some progress pics.

Thanks again to all who took the time to respond. Let’s grooooooow

thedudefresco

She’s been growing well and I decided to prune branches/remove nodes today.

I have more to do but it was hot and I figured a few days recuperation for her before removing more prolly wouldn’t hurt.

Pre crop and post crop

Attachments

• 0D744A0B-A866-456E-BDF9-EFA6C98DB5AA.jpg
    0D744A0B-A866-456E-BDF9-EFA6C98DB5AA.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 4188202E-6A99-45DB-94B5-6224991529E7.jpg
    4188202E-6A99-45DB-94B5-6224991529E7.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 70

thedudefresco

update: kept her in pot and am just keeping up with some training every few days.

Other growers noticing an early flower this year?

Attachments

• bucket.jpg
    bucket.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 52

thedudefresco

Removing nodes

Removing nodes

So several weeks ago I removed all nodes from branches save for the tip top growth point.

Today, this is what each branch sort of looks like.

What will happen if I remove all the growth below each tip again?

Here is an example of what I am talking about that I did to just one branch.

What would be the pro/con of doing the rest this way?

https://streamable.com/xwpcb6

thedudefresco

Update

Update

She’s definitely a bit large for the pot since I’m noticing everything drying out pretty quickly.

I bought 4 of the old school bluemat stakes and have had those in the pot hooked up to a jug of water to keep the soil a bit more moist in between waterings.

The tips have all branched out it’s really something

Attachments

• BB0D3ED0-593F-4AEE-9168-5025C55E03BC.jpg
    BB0D3ED0-593F-4AEE-9168-5025C55E03BC.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 78

YukonKronic

You might need a trellis system in my opinion.. if you feed the stretch well I’m betting you get some wildly tall and heavy buds off that.. I’ve seen similarly narrow leaved phenotypes stretch 4x in this gene pool.
Looks awesome in any case..

Latest posts

Latest posts