What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bahaki Labs 2020 and Ace

kamyo

Veteran
Hi friends. Figured I might as well start a thread here. Ordered Super Malawi Haze, Bubba/PCK, Reg PCK, Red Sapphire, Malawi/PCK, and Bangi Haze.

There's no way that I'll be able to run them all, but I'll probably keep the Bangi and PCK for a rainy day. I'm thinking SMH and Bubba/PCK will be good to run immediately. Hoping I get a Deep Chunk male from the ones I have in veg now. I can see that one being a great dad for both.

Also currently have my Bubba Hash in flower, so we won't have to wait too long for pictures.

I do have one PCK mom that I was flowering a cut of, but she was really growing kind of weird. Very airy, and I'm not sure if maybe I wasn't giving her what she needed. I culled the flowering one, but will flower her out again soon and keep a better eye on things. I lost a killer PCK mom that I never properly flowered. Even at 4 weeks, she was fat and red. I intend on finding that pheno again.

While I'm certainly no breeder, I have hopes of being able to call myself one some day. Ace provides a fantastic catalog for breeding stock, and I'm excited to see where I can take these things.

My setup is coco/perlite with Maxibloom and a Mars Hydro TSW2000.

Regarding the name, here in Guam, 'bahaki' basically means 'house clothes' or otherwise unflattering wardrobe, which can also provide an apt description of a state of mind. Sort of laid back, informal, messy. I guess that describes me well.

Here's Bubba Hash at 5 weeks, I think. She might have been pollinated by an OG a friend gave me that threw out late flowering bananas, but I'm still not sure.
picture.php

picture.php

And some OTHaze the day they went into the flower tent. Still at 12/12 for now, so she'll be in there a while.
picture.php

picture.php

kamyo

Veteran
Love the thread name! "laid back labs" . Beautiful plants thus far brotha, good work.

Thank you. Almost contradictory, considering how scientific 'labs' sounds. But it's just how I do things. Either messing around with servers and web stuff or growing pot. The lab is just where I spend my free time.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi kamyo,

Thanks for your supporting our work and for your interest on breeding with some of our lines, much appreciated.
A pitty you lost your favorite PCK female, but i'm sure you will find other great ones in upcoming seeds, it's relatively easy to find good colorful parental plants within pure PCK releases.

The Bubba Hash looks really beefy and resinous in mid flowering, should be a good candidate to pollinate with a Deep Chunk male if you are into breeding a very heavy and high quality afghani.
The cross with Bubba Kush x PCK should produce nice results as well.

Good luck also with the wild Oldtimer's Haze :)
Hopefully you can also introduce her to your breeding projects and produce something earlier and interesting by outcrossing Oldtimer's Haze.
Best wishes!

kamyo

Veteran
Thanks, friends.

Dubi, that's the plan for the BH and DC. Too early to tell, but probably a Bx in the future if the F1 ends up a bit too leafy or low yielding from the DC, but we'll see. I want to have a solid indica and I can't think of two better plants to have, with the PCK around just in case. Additionally, a good sativa-leaning hybrid is helpful to have around. SMH and OTHaze should be helpful, although I'll need to source a male from somewhere. Maybe my own version of Monkey Haze, who knows.

I think too often, people with limited resources start out with too many crosses, trying to pump out as much as possible. I really admire DJ Short in the way many of his varieties are byproducts of a larger plan and breeding project. Never really grew his stuff, but I definitely respect his ability to focus on only a few lines and do it well. And obviously you and CBG are huge influences in terms of what to look for and not just stopping at F3 when everything looks "good enough."

Definitely, the OTHaze will probably make its way into some crosses at some point. It's a shame I can't do more selection, but that will come with time and resources. Following an "agile" approach of continuous improvement, it's possible to start with a viable product and improve upon it as time and resources become more readily available.

kamyo

Veteran
Couple of the Bubba Hash phenos I have going. There's a third plant that I fucked up a bit on and got some gnarly leaves, plus a crazy deficiency (or burn) and I think I have worked out. Unbuffered coco and didn't supplement much during feeding.

Bubba Hash 4 at 6.5 weeks
picture.php

picture.php

Bubba Hash 5 at 5 weeks
picture.php

picture.php

kamyo

Veteran
Latest order just came in. Might actually be record time for having to go almost 3/4 of the way across the globe. Still not completely sure what to run, but Super Malawi Haze and maybe Malawi x PCK or her sister Violeta. Really want to grow out Bubba x PCK or even regular PCK to find a new mom, but I'm doing a bunch of indica stuff now with Bubba Hash and Deep Chunk, so I should probably give the sativas a shot. Leaning heavily to Violeta since I could use a nice, colorful mom. Although I could also just hope for a good pheno in the Malawi x PCK. Sorry, talking to myself. Anyway, here's Bubba Hash at 7.5 or 8 weeks. Pretty sure she ended up with a ca/mg deficiency and I either overcorrected or didn't correct enough, so leaves aren't stellar looking, but she's really pretty. I'm guessing she'll go 9-9.5 to really pack a punch.

picture.php

picture.php

kamyo

Veteran
So here's a little update from the garden. Currently running some Bubba Hash cuttings again and a couple Bubba x PCK. I've run the BH a couple of times, but still haven't done her justice. I think this is the one where I get her dialed in. Not a difficult plant to grow - I've just been trying a million different things and also working in pollination to the mix, so things get neglected.

Here's #4 pheno that got pollinated with some Deep Chunk from KOS. I used 2 males that looked pretty much identical, although one might have been slightly taller. Almost dry.
picture.php

picture.php

And here's #5 a few weeks in 12/12. Also have another #4 that just went into the flower tent.
picture.php

picture.php

Bubba/PCK will start to really get into flowering soon. She's just starting to push out the first flowers.

kamyo

Veteran
Hi, friends. Here's a little update from the garden. Ended up culling the 2 Super Malawi Haze I had in flower because I needed the room. I still have cuts from them, so I'll run them later when I have more room and opportunity to go 11/13 to help them along.

Here's Bubba Hash #5 that I've run before. Definitely the best run I've done with her. She should be ready in 2-3 weeks.
picture.php

And BH #4 a few weeks behind the other
picture.php

picture.php

Here's a Bubba x PCK around 2 months veg in a 5 gallon air pot. She'll go into flower in 2-3 weeks when I have room for her. Have a couple of the "BCK" in flower. Almost ready to show them off. Still in that state of flower development that isn't too photogenic, but it'll start soon. The two in flower are very PCK-leaning. Smell like sour fruit candy, but with a boost in resin from the Bubba.
picture.php

And it isn't Ace, but here's a Deep Chunk from Kingdom Organic Seeds. Still not sure if she's pure DC, but I'm thinking she might be Bubba x Deep Chunk. Not much smell, but I'm really enjoying how she grows.
picture.php

The goal for this year is to have a solid indica catalog to use for future crosses, and also some seeds to run in the future to find that one keeper. The last few months of this year, I'll be looking at a colorful run with PCK, Malawi x PCK, and Red Sapphire. Next year will be sativas with OTHaze (male), SMH, Bangi Haze, and probably some of the Malawi x PCK and Red Sapphire.

kamyo

Veteran
Here's Bubba Hash 5 about 8 weeks, give or take a couple days. She has a week or less before she comes down, I think. Main top is slightly further along than the lowers, but not by much.
picture.php

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi kamyo,

Glad to see you managed to produce BH x DC seeds and that you are already enjoying the flowers of your work while more is coming ;)

You are right, Bubba Hash is not difficult to grow at all, but maybe needs more space, a bit less nitrogen and more PK to yield and produce resins to its best potential.

Thanks for supporting our work again! Happy the new beans arrived safe and sound and fast, and that our work and lines bring you inspiration, the new strains can contribute to interesting new directions, Violeta and Malawi x PCK could be very useful to add new traits, colors, effects and terpenes to your current indica projects.

Certainly it will be more difficult to include Oldtimer's Haze and Super Malawi Haze into your breeding schedules unless you have different rooms to coordinate them better and considering you are playing mostly with very indica genetics.

I also have much respect for DJ Short work, very few breeders have produced such a signature and differentiated high quality breeding work, deepening so much into the same related genepool. The other day i was talking with a friend about it and we had some good laughs .... if you like rock, he is like AC/DC :D constantly producing the same album and songs after half century .... don't get me wrong, i just say it with complete affection and respect to him.

kamyo

Veteran
Thanks, dubi. Had some issues (pH, rootbound) on some of the plants, but it looks like I have it under control now. The sativas will indeed take much more time, patience, and attention, so I'm reserving next year for that. Trying to only work with inbred/stable males, so at least my options are narrowed down to probably OTH and Bangi Haze. Although I do have my eye some Tom Hill Haze that might also be worth picking up.

Have some PCK that just sprouted and a big Bubba x PCK about to go into flower in a couple days.

It's kind of a weird balance between growing stuff for fun, making some crosses to run at some point, and also somewhat keeping up with the local scene of growers mostly growing all the popular pastry weed. At this rate, I wouldn't have a legit line to actually offer for another 2-3 years, and I'm happy with that. I wouldn't consider anything less than F3 to be "ready," unless I was working with parents I was familiar enough with.

The fact that a lot of the popular stuff nowadays originates from the Chem and OG plants from the early 90s tells me that it's entirely possible to find plants of that caliber by taking it back to basics with the hybrids. IMO, Ace provides perfect parents for this. SMH saves a ton of time for me, and I'm almost certain that the right indica dad would produce some stellar progeny with that one. Reverse is also true with a good indica mom and the OTH or Bangi Haze dad.

I also can't seem to stop myself from pollinating things. Usually, the male will go outside once the balls show, and he'll stay there until he starts to drop pollen. I'll collect it, kill the male, and carefully paint it in the female outside the room. Pretty normal practice for someone doing it as a hobby, I suppose.

kamyo

Veteran
A little update on the garden. Cut down Bubba Hash 4 a while back. Have dealt with calcium deficiency in mid-late flower, but cutting back on the pH down seems to have solved that. Really enjoy the taste & smell of this one. Grown properly, I think she'll be even more special, but she's great weed. Not as knockout as #5, and more of a 50/50 between Bubba and HP, I think.

Here's a little bud before getting cut down
picture.php

Drying
picture.php

Dry
picture.php

And my Bubba x PCK girl. Fantastic fruity, lemony, menthol smell. Very similar to other pure PCK I've grown, but a little 'louder'. She has a couple weeks left to finish up.
picture.php

picture.php

Not sure what I'll run next. I really need to run some of the crosses I've made, particularly the Bubba Hash girls pollinated by DC. But I also really want to pop either the Red Sapphire or Malawi x PCK. I'll probably go with Malawi x PCK. I do have a couple of friends I gifted some BH4 x DC seeds to. I think they're just starting to flower, so at least I'll get an idea of how they grow without actually having to grow them myself.

kamyo

Veteran
(continued)
Here's a PCK girl starting to flower. Been in 12/12 maybe 10 days or so. I have three girls in flower - one normal broad leaf, one slightly twisty but not too bad, and one that's straight up retarded. I kept her around in case she happened to display crazy color or resin, but she'll get taken down soon unless she does show those traits. Also have a male that I decided to reveg as soon as balls showed. No idea on his color, but I'll do a reproduction run in a few months for more stock with both purple girls. This is the slightly mutated one, but I think she's pretty much grown out of it.
picture.php

And here's the Deep Chunk from Kingdom Organic Seeds. Just harvested a few hundred seeds from one male and 3 females. The girl pictured here wasn't pollinated, but one of the girls was very similar and equally as colorful.
picture.php

picture.php

Will keep the PCK and DC males around for hitting up some promising females I find. Always prefer to use stable dads for crosses, although not completely necessary. It's easier to find a good keeper and pollinate her with something I know will pass on traits well. Also have an OTHaze male for the same reason.

kamyo

Veteran
Apologies for the lack of updates.

Here's my Bubba Hash #4 almost done. 10-14 days, probably.
picture.php

picture.php

And here's a Purple Paki girl I revegged but haven't fully flowered out yet. Showed great coloration on initial calyxes a couple weeks into flower before reveg
picture.php

Some Malawi x PCK about a week into 11/13.
picture.php

And The Hekkua a plant I was given locally, but I don't know what she is, pues "Hekkua." Reversed her a while back and pollinated BH4. From clone, she can be taken at 50 days, but could obviously go longer.
picture.php