What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please help an oldster out.

kvntvle

I've been growing outdoors off and on since the 70s but this is my first indoor grow. Everything I know about indoor growing was acquired from lurking on this site and for that I give thanks to all of you. I have 3 beautiful girls about 7-14 days from harvest but they are now showing a calcium deficiency. I'm doing an organic soil grow. My question is - should I push on through to harvest or try to treat them now? Only the leaves are affected so far - no damage to the buds. The buds are still beautiful. I would attach photos but I am an oldster and extremely low tech. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

FlaDankster

Veteran
If they where out doors and you had a cal def with 1-2 weeks left would you try and fix it....or would you "push on through"?

kvntvle

I would push on through to harvest. Should I treat this the same way? I never had problems with cal deficiency outdoors so this is new to me.

vukman

Veteran
If you are a 1-2 from harvest, you should actually start thinking about flushing them anyway so yes....as was already said...definitely push through my old time friend.. I'm no young spring chicken either....LOL.......;)

If they are showing Ca deficiency, have you ever though of flushing them with molasses??
Black Strap molasses has Ca and Mg and other goodies in there plus you can mix it with the water when flushing...nothing wrong with giving them some....'sweetness'...heheh..

Kidding but the molasses is good for the girls, that I'm not joking about and you should see them put on some big time weight as well...

Good Luck

medicalmj

Veteran
I'd consider why you have a Ca def/lock out, fix the issue (maybe PH is off or salt build up?)and continue feeding for another 10 days, then a flush for last 3 days if using lots of chem nutes (I've not flushed at all pushing hard w chems and flavor was great, no "chem taste"). And no need to flush at all w organic.

vukman

Veteran
DOH!!!!!!!!! my bad.. was kinda 1/2 in the zone yesterday and didn't see it was an organic grow...:-(.......medicalmj is absolutely right and I'm wrong here..sorry about that...

kvntvle

Okay I'll try to fix problem and keep feeding. Good to know I won't have to flush with an organic grow. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
From another old grower, let them go. Any lock out at this stage isn't going to matter, I grow totally organic and always finish with plain water. You can't ever flush soil completely.
Another thing as you say your getting close to finish. When my plants are finishing they use up most of the nutes in the growing medium and the result can look a lot like a ca lock out. The leaves will yellow naturally as the plant uses its internal energy putting it all in to the bud.
Its to early and I'm kinda baked so I hope his made sense. In other words they'll be fine.

FlaDankster

Veteran
No sir.........don't try to fix them.

The only reason i would make the suggestion to fix things would be if you are using an organic soil that you will be recycling to use again.But even then your focus wouldn't be on the plant but the soil itself.

Give them water only is my advice sir.

S

SeaMaiden

I've been growing outdoors off and on since the 70s but this is my first indoor grow. Everything I know about indoor growing was acquired from lurking on this site and for that I give thanks to all of you. I have 3 beautiful girls about 7-14 days from harvest but they are now showing a calcium deficiency. I'm doing an organic soil grow. My question is - should I push on through to harvest or try to treat them now? Only the leaves are affected so far - no damage to the buds. The buds are still beautiful. I would attach photos but I am an oldster and extremely low tech. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Too late to do anything about an immobile element deficiency. The deficiency won't progress much, not at this point, either. Just learn from this experience, and start giving the new girls sufficient Ca next grow.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Good to know I won't have to flush with an organic grow. .
Uhh... actually, that's not exactly correct.

No need to flush a properly amended organic soil grow? Yes... because the flush is automatic... the nutes have run out and the plants have been getting water and minimal nutrition for 2-3 weeks before harvest.

No need to flush an overly amended or too high strength of organic nutes or teas? Umm... that's not correct. Feeding this way leaves unused nutrients within the plant. I can taste it and the labs can detect it also. Actually have several threads on the subject.

Anyway... kudos to going indoor, I'd leave it be and just let it finish. The less you have in the end product that is _not_ cannabis... the better. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

killerskunk

you should always flush any grow no matter indoor outdoor soil hydro organic and chem... residual nutes arent supposed to be in there... as a rule of thumb flush a cannabis plant two weeks prior to harvest no matter the deffeciencies... ive grown with water the whole cycle and it didnt yield great but the herb was smooth and clean smoking after all it is a weed fellas

Granger2

Veteran
I've never grown any other way but organic. I've been growing organically in coco80%/perlite20% for the last 4 crops. I definitely recommend flushing.

Start with 1TBL/gal molasses twice, followed by pH'd water till harvest. At least 1 week of water only. Good luck. -granger

S

SeaMaiden

So how does one flush an outdoor plant?

Thank you!

I've grown organic and chem salt-based. I've grown indoors and out. I feel that most folks need to 'flush' because they are likely over-feeding to the point of supersaturation, if that's possible within plant tissues. Because I can't flush OD plants, I've learned what you can and can't do in that regard, and what is and isn't necessary.

:thank you:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
So how does one flush an outdoor plant?

Unless you've created some unique holes for them to grow in... you're not going to be able to. This is why it's so important to get the amount of amendments right the first time.

This only comes with experience and time... with each strain/pheno you have. :tiphat:

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles: