What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cancer... :-((

MIway

Veteran
So I just got back from the vet... They think my little baby girl has cancer... Found five masses growing on her stomach lining from an ultrasound. She's been really sick the last four weeks but started to vomit blood the other day... We had been thinking pancreatitis before the blood and ultrasound.

I'm taking her in to an oncologist tomorrow and with any luck she will be able to do a biopsy then. My girl is only five but there were so very many masses. I'm hoping it is something we can still treat. Has anyone here dealt with chemo in their pets?

My father passed from pancreatic cancer and the last three months of his life was horrible... Horrible. I don't want to do that to my girl, but feel I should fight for her. Any insights on how cats respond? I'm going to search the net but it seems many of us here are pet lovers. Would really appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
I'm sorry, pal! I don't have any advice but love, prayers, positive energy and healing white light sent!

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I am a cat person myself and have lost a few over the years and those without pets have zero clue how important animals are to us.

Not sure if this is the type of suggestion you are looking for BUT for human cancer this is the route I would take and I don't see how it couldn't be beneficial for your cat

phoenix tears - http://phoenixtears.ca/make-the-medicine/

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Our male rottie had cancer - he was 14 at the time it really started affecting his eating....the treatmemt wasn't likely to help him in his old age...we decided to let him rest in peace rather than put him through even more hell. My folks have never gotten another dog since. He was always referred to as "my brother" ...lol... he was undoubtedly family...still miss that dog too much...
Had a female rottie as well...she also, cancer but she just fell asleep one night and that was that....about 6 months later..

Miss 'em both...

Hard call when they are younger like yours, bro. My heart heart goes out to you with this difficult decision. Cancer sucks.

dank.Frank

GOT DANK

Veteran
sorry to hear this. i lost my pit to cancer in march. i know how u feel. best wish to you both.

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sorry you are going through that. cancer kills over half of all dogs. i dont know the current figure for cats though but it is high. too high.

MIway

Veteran
For all the kind words and support... Thank you everyone.

She's napping on my lap as I type. She really is my baby girl.

Thank you Medmaker... had forgotten about the tears. I really do hate the idea of pharmaceuticals. And can't help but feel responsible... just recently started reading about the pet food industry... And the potential that what I have been feeding her has brought this about. Damn man... I mean ignorance isn't an excuse... I've been poisoning her.

Hopeful for tomorrow. Thank you for the support everyone.

Obsidian

Veteran
you might not agree with me, but my lil sis had a scottish fold ear, and it got cat lukiema(?) from eating those foil pouches of food back in the 70's
Putting her down was the only option. It's hard, but there are many cats and dogs out there that need someone. Maybe it's time to move on keep the love and memories get some pics.
She will be in your heart and you will do her good by this, it's not fair for her to go through the pain she will have to endure in the final days. I do remember my lil sis and her tears. She got a German Jad Terrier after that and 2 kittens from me after Beanny left. one siamese, and a himalaya blue point, all 3 lived together in peace. not saying to do it, but it's a option that one must face. hope all is good when you realize what's best for her.
peace

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was going to say...buying cheap kibble is certainly the culprit! I learned that as well...

dank.Frank

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Our male rottie had cancer - he was 14 at the time it really started affecting his eating....the treatmemt wasn't likely to help him in his old age...we decided to let him rest in peace rather than put him through even more hell. My folks have never gotten another dog since. He was always referred to as "my brother" ...lol... he was undoubtedly family...still miss that dog too much...

Had a female rottie as well...she also, cancer but she just fell asleep one night and that was that....about 6 months later..

Miss 'em both...

Hard call when they are younger like yours, bro. My heart heart goes out to you with this difficult decision. Cancer sucks.

dank.Frank

sorry for your loss man. dogs are kind companions

slackx

Veteran
I pray your dog doesn't have cancer...praying just for fatty tumors or scar tissue...

S

SeaMaiden

So I just got back from the vet... They think my little baby girl has cancer... Found five masses growing on her stomach lining from an ultrasound. She's been really sick the last four weeks but started to vomit blood the other day... We had been thinking pancreatitis before the blood and ultrasound.

I'm taking her in to an oncologist tomorrow and with any luck she will be able to do a biopsy then. My girl is only five but there were so very many masses. I'm hoping it is something we can still treat. Has anyone here dealt with chemo in their pets?

My father passed from pancreatic cancer and the last three months of his life was horrible... Horrible. I don't want to do that to my girl, but feel I should fight for her. Any insights on how cats respond? I'm going to search the net but it seems many of us here are pet lovers. Would really appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Oh boy, this is tough, and a lot of people are not going to like what I have to say. But I feel that I should qualify my answers here. I had to make my first euthanasia decision when I was 12yo. My QH mare had colic, BAD, and had two huge masses in her large intestine. Gastric surgeries were just not done back then, certainly not for an elderly, appendix registered Class C show horse. And she was suffering, which is absolutely key for me.

Since then, I've not only had to make that decision for more animals than I can remember, let alone count, I've had to do it by my own hand. A large animal is *not* easy, even if we're talking a pig we're going to eat.

So, I have seen people put their animals through chemotherapy, and I cannot help but think about how my parents (dietitian and radiologist) call chemotherapy patients "victims." You've experienced that yourself. So my question to you is this, you know that putting the animal through these therapies is not going to alleviate suffering and very well may cause more suffering, do you want to do that, and do you need to keep the animal alive that badly?

If it were my pet I would not force it to endure these treatments. There is no way I can communicate effectively to an animal what is happening to it and why. I feel it is the better thing to simply stop suffering. Death itself isn't so bad, it's the suffering that I can't take.

The last time I had to have a dear pet put down was my Olde Dogge Missy Dawg. She was the best dog I've ever had (stupidest dog, too, but that's another story). She could not stand being at the vet, ever. So when it came time, and that time came on SUDDENLY (we had just returned from a short weekend vacation) I called the closest vet and asked him to euthanize her in the parking lot, in the back of the car (she always liked going for car rides). He agreed to that and he put her on ice until we were able to get her grave dug, she's out under the big black oak now with Cali and Yoshi, more will be sure to come.

Some folks are able to get a veterinarian out to their home to perform the euthanasia and if I could have gotten that service I would have gladly paid for her to simply fall asleep at home. She went *very* fast, literally a half a second. I've never seen an animal go so fast from euthanasia.

Right now your very emotionally tied up in this, but I will ask you to stop and consider the animal's quality of life from this point forward.

In the meantime, another thing of mine that I can't help--I have a 'thing' for Saint Francis of Assizi. I enjoy the idea of an afterlife caretaker for every animal that's been my friend and touched my life (I disagree with anyone who says an animal can't have a soul, though I question at what point of sentience does an organism become likely soulless, if at all). It meant a great deal to me to be able to bury Missy Dawg here at home instead of giving her remains over to someone else. I can STILL, very clearly, see out my bedroom window, watching the large animal disposal people haul my mare's carcass into their awful, stinking truck.

So I got a Saint Francis effigy to watch over them all and give *me* comfort. I'm not religious and wasn't raised with any religion, my folks eschewed their Catholic upbringing. But he existed, and the idea gives me comfort. I'm sharing my Saint Francis with you, and will offer up a small prayer to him on your behalf.

Attachments

• StFrancis-800.jpg
    StFrancis-800.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 17

supermanlives

Veteran
best wishes. my last dog got cancer. there wasnt anything they could do. i had high hopes for surgery but after they opened him up they realized it was hopeless. he died at home and is buried out back under tree. i had been struggling with when to put him down. luckilly i didnt have to and he didnt suffer much. best dog ever. rip max. you aint supposed to bury such large animals in the city. fuck them i dug a human sized grave and placed him in .

There is a plant in south America called graviola. My friends dog had cancer and he gave it graviola every day and the dog got better. The vet said the dog had less than 6 months to live and she couldn't believe the tumors went away. He didn't just give graviola. He made sure to fix the Ph of the dog to be slightly alkaline. A lot of people don't know this but Ph is very important to humans as well as plants. Humans should be slightly alkaline to beable to heal problems like cancer and tumors. There is a lot of research on this subject on the internet. Anyone interested should do some research on Ph and humans. You can check your Ph by testing your urine throughout the day. Most of you will be suprised how acidic your urine is because of how bad the food is in the USA.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
There is a plant in south America called graviola. My friends dog had cancer and he gave it graviola every day and the dog got better. The vet said the dog had less than 6 months to live and she couldn't believe the tumors went away. He didn't just give graviola. He made sure to fix the Ph of the dog to be slightly alkaline. A lot of people don't know this but Ph is very important to humans as well as plants. Humans should be slightly alkaline to beable to heal problems like cancer and tumors. There is a lot of research on this subject on the internet. Anyone interested should do some research on Ph and humans. You can check your Ph by testing your urine throughout the day. Most of you will be suprised how acidic your urine is because of how bad the food is in the USA.

i love the strange sites you find on the internet.

Latest posts

Latest posts