Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > BOILING THE ROOTBALL??????????

Thread Title Search
BOILING THE ROOTBALL?????????? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2012, 06:37 PM #51
ayatayo

ayatayo has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitesimal View Post
sorry it took so long to get back at you on this... not exactly sure what you mean.

it sounds like your asking if I've ever slowly elongated the "night time" by decreasing the hours the lights are on day by day, like how fall days get shorter and shorter, instead of a 2-3 day dark period...

well not yet (going to redo my rooms first)... thats the idea though... to incrementally give the plant a longer and longer night period over the course of the flowering cycle to better imitate nature and hopefully tease out more resin!
what I heard from experienced growers is to "stop giving direct strong light once you know the buds won't get bigger anymore"...so that would be the 2 or the 3 or the 4 last weeks, depending on strain/genes...no total darkness...just put them in the shady side of the garden/room...gonna try this with my actual grow...

Last edited by ayatayo; 08-23-2012 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: grammar
ayatayo is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 AM #52
Stonefree69
Veg & Flower Station keeper

Stonefree69 has a brilliant futureStonefree69 has a brilliant futureStonefree69 has a brilliant futureStonefree69 has a brilliant futureStonefree69 has a brilliant futureStonefree69 has a brilliant futureStonefree69 has a brilliant futureStonefree69 has a brilliant futureStonefree69 has a brilliant futureStonefree69 has a brilliant futureStonefree69 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJXXPLATINUM View Post
MAN I RAN INTO THIS GUY WHO WORKS AT A DISPENSARY AND HE SAYS TO BOIL THE ROOTBALL FOR HARVESTING AND CURING, SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE SUGARS AND CARBS.........CAN ANY ONE CHIME IN ON THIS ONE????IS THERE LOGIC TO THIS???......DJ
I've done this in my teens. REAL BAD FUNKY TASTE!

Organic hydro? Yes: surfactants, emulsifiers, pest control & micronutrients + chelation/absorption aids. Bennies in hydro? No.
Stonefree69 is offline Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM #53
StayBlazinDawg

StayBlazinDawg will become famous soon enoughStayBlazinDawg will become famous soon enough
Just picked a Cannalope Haze boiled the root ball and left it under the lights for three night. Definitely something their with it not necessary more thc but at the very least kills the plant to release nutes organic or hydro.
StayBlazinDawg is offline Quote

Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 AM #54
ortsa1

ortsa1 will become famous soon enoughortsa1 will become famous soon enoughortsa1 will become famous soon enough
it only works if you use aptus nutes or any other nutes with 24k gold flakes in them
ortsa1 is offline Quote

Old 07-01-2015, 09:55 PM #55
TracerChris

TracerChris is on a distinguished road
I seem to be finding two separate but re-occurring themes.

1. When the roots become boiled, stomata close up as a response to the root temperatures and therefore increase the length of the drying and curing.

2. DC420 suggests adding boiling water 3 days out prior to harvest in order to kill the roots. As the roots die the plant is no longer able to absorb water or nutes from the roots. With the lights on 10/14 12/12 (or whatever). Over the next three days the plant uses the rest of its reserves stored in the fan leaves (cannibalizes). At the same time the plant is using its reserves, it begins to lose water weight in the bud due to lights being on and Relative humidity (assuming its in the proper range) keeping the stomata open. These two processes increase the terpene profile and decrease the amount of time (by 3 days) that the plant needs to hang dry.

Has anybody tried boiling water and letting the plant sit for 3 more days?

Somebody above mentioned using boiling water and noticed that their plant was a bit droopy on the day of harvest. This would make sense if the plant had lost water weight and was no longer able to support itself using turgid pressure. I will be doing this on one of my two autos to see a comparison in drying/curing times, terpene profile, and smokeability. I will report back in August once I give it a go.
TracerChris is offline Quote

Old 11-05-2020, 06:19 AM #56
chillkoots1

chillkoots1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerChris View Post
I seem to be finding two separate but re-occurring themes.

1. When the roots become boiled, stomata close up as a response to the root temperatures and therefore increase the length of the drying and curing.

2. DC420 suggests adding boiling water 3 days out prior to harvest in order to kill the roots. As the roots die the plant is no longer able to absorb water or nutes from the roots. With the lights on 10/14 12/12 (or whatever). Over the next three days the plant uses the rest of its reserves stored in the fan leaves (cannibalizes). At the same time the plant is using its reserves, it begins to lose water weight in the bud due to lights being on and Relative humidity (assuming its in the proper range) keeping the stomata open. These two processes increase the terpene profile and decrease the amount of time (by 3 days) that the plant needs to hang dry.

Has anybody tried boiling water and letting the plant sit for 3 more days?

Somebody above mentioned using boiling water and noticed that their plant was a bit droopy on the day of harvest. This would make sense if the plant had lost water weight and was no longer able to support itself using turgid pressure. I will be doing this on one of my two autos to see a comparison in drying/curing times, terpene profile, and smokeability. I will report back in August once I give it a go.
This works and it also allows you to reuse your sterilized substrate Save some money on coco or soiless mix.But watch out for bud rot if you can't control your humidity.
chillkoots1 is offline Quote