What's new

Antivirus 2012 and other rogue agents.

slackx

Veteran
Hello friends it's the holiday season and many phisher program are amongst us. I've personally fixed over a dozen this past week. So maybe some of you will catch this thread and know how to fix your pc's and save yourself some money.

First your computer must be in safe mode you can do this by pressing F8 upon starting select "Safe mode with networking."

Some variants will block out your access and corrupt registry entries. Making it seem like all your programs are deleted. This is not true - it's just a registry error.
To counter act this you just go to Start > Run - Type in

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/reg/FixNCR.reg

Run this file and it will correct your registry errors and should allow you to use your browsers again.

If not just go back to Start > Run - Type in

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/iExplore.exe
** not sure why it's cutting the link short but its ".com/grinler/iExplore.exe"

This will download you a fresh copy of internet explorer to use for getting the rest of the proper tools to fix your computer. Once you get your browser up just go to malwarebytes.org and download the free program it will clear it up. Once you run the program and it removes and restarts - you are virus free. But you have on more step to follow, you need to clear your system restore files. It's in a couple different spots depending on operating system so just google it. The rest of the instructions will work regardless of windows operating system.

Happy surfin

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
my computer is running slow as SHIT! gonna try out that malwarebytes...i have AVG and running scans but its not finding anything..

Easygrowing

Veteran
thats good if it dosent find anythings-but-adaware and spyware you nearly cant avoid.

try ex superantispyware and malwarebytes/Antimalware-those take malware..

CC.cleaner also good prg-combofix-Hijackthis-Housecall launcher-siw-Isystem wiper..
Also a Heimdal prg shows you pc condition very fast..But SAS-superantispyware and Malwarebytes-should could do it.Sas dosent find all...Microsoft,security Essentials is also good in a way-but it takes a bit of "power" it,s running constantly...all free and good to learn.Trend micro have a good online scanner--Housecall launcher...
there is so many outthere..

dbuzz

Veteran
my computer is running slow as SHIT! gonna try out that malwarebytes...i have AVG and running scans but its not finding anything..

If you notice your computer lagging and slowing, it's time to format your hard-drive. Then your computer will run like new again.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran

Sometimes it's not malware. Do you clean the browser cache? Do you run the operating system cleanup utility?

These don't always get file fragments and registry errors. Registry cleaning programs are handy but you want one that saves the original registry data should the program delete something your operating system or other programs use.

Another thing that decreases speed is the number of programs vying for resources (so they open faster.) You may rarely use some of these programs that are set to start up with your operating system. Turning off auto-start on these programs might take a few extra seconds for them to open when needed.

De-fragmenting your drive might help but you'll only notice a slight difference if it's seriously fragmented.

If you use Firefox, make sure to upgrade to the latest version. Recent earlier versions caused severe memory leak.

If you're interested in a free program to tweak your system, Advanced System Care 5 is pretty cool. They also have the pay version with more options. Free version has an overall sweep with two levels, basic and deep. You can also navigate the user interface to execute targeted aspects. Here's the link -

http://www.bestfreewaredownload.com/freeware/t-free-advanced-systemcare-freeware-qliharkd.html

It also has a function to turn off auto-start on any programs you might not need. It gives a recommendation and you can always override the changes if needed.

I found it on bestfreewaredownload.com. Pretty cool site. It's like CNet/Download dot com (except it's all freeware.)

dddaver

Veteran
reformatting

reformatting

For a few years now, MS (and of course other software companies who have to just copy the industry leaders lead) has decided it makes more profit for them to NOT enclose os disks with their computers, but have the os in residence on the hard-drive. My question might be naive and stupid but; for years I found to really clean the computer you need to reformat the hard-drive, windows adds so many bloated useless logs and software it's just ridiculous. Last time I did that reformatting it took 3 full days of non-stop reloading and updating my software. But with no os disks being shipped with the newer computers, it seems logically to me that reformatting the hard-drive would also eliminate the os, is this correct? The other problem with reformatting, even if it didn't erase the os is that doing the update to windows to get all the needed security updates just to windows could take hours.

I have used Ubuntu and this may be a solution but since windows is so dominant through-out the world, I decided I may as well keep that as my "everyday" for compatibility issues.