What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to cool down soil?

indicameds

I got a little problem on my hands. I germed alot of really expensive seeds Ive been holding onto for awhile pending some legal troubles ive been having. But I found a place I can rest long enough to get a harvest in. So I jumped the gun to soon and germed about 1000$ worth of good genetics as soon as I got my lights an fans up. Only problem is, being on the lamb for almost a year has dried up funds.

So now I got some rez beans, greenhouse, dutch passion and bogs seeds all showing tap roots in paper towels and the only medium I have is some bags of ffof. I know it is to hot to start seedlings in.
And I dont have the money to buy anything else to use to mix it with.

So is there any way to cool the soil down real fast?
Can I do a overnight flush with plain water or something? If I cant find out something by the morning im just gonna have to go fourth and hope for the best. I can deal with a few burnt tips I just dont want to loose alot these to hot soil. Thanks ahead.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I can deal with a few burnt tips I just dont want to loose alot these to hot soil. Thanks ahead.

They could burn ... or not. I've had bags that burned seedlings and bags that didn't. You may not lose any plants. The bags that did burn seedlings didn't do so right away; it took a couple of weeks so they were semi well established and could grow out of it.

Pine

I

Iron_Lion

I've been using fox farms soil mixes for years and have never had any issues. I think peeps that say this shit either havent used FF soil very much or dont know what they are doing. If it makes you feel better run some known pH'd water thru your soil and then check the run off.

it's easy for some one to say something about a product but without knowing all of the variables of their grow its hard to tell if they are giving legit info or just blowing smoke up your ass.

hahahaha, stoner moment when I read the thread title, I was like Wow this guy must be running a lot of lights...

I've been using fox farms soil mixes for years and have never had any issues. I think peeps that say this shit either havent used FF soil very much or dont know what they are doing. If it makes you feel better run some known pH'd water thru your soil and then check the run off.

it's easy for some one to say something about a product but without knowing all of the variables of their grow its hard to tell if they are giving legit info or just blowing smoke up your ass.

Which FF was it though?

Ursus

mix it with some outdoor soil? Just find a clear patch of dirt, and try to stay away from areas with dead plant matter and those type of things.

Shady Smoka

i thought you had temp issues with your soil also...haha

Maybe just flush the soil with ph'd water a few times. that should help

indicameds

Thanks for all the help every one. I used happy frog for all my past soil grows from start to end. But I got a killer deal on these bags of OF a long time ago and still got em around. I got a hold of some one who runs hydro and they got a ppm meter so I'm gonna run some ph'ed water through it all and test it in the morning and start planting. I get some pics up when I get it going. thanks again everyone.

And Iron I think your right about people jumping the gun on it based on what others have said. I mean I have never used it before and look Im worried because of some rumors Ive heard. So what your saying makes sense. Ill just have to figure it out so I dont have to go on what other predict. Wish me luck guys.

And Leroy its all good we all have those moments here. If we didn't we wouldn't be members of this forum..lol And you wasn't all that wrong Ive never had this amount of space before and since I'm not keeping mothers and growing them all out I am running all my lights for once. 3500 watts hps, two-250watt hps and three 1000watts two hps and one Mh

My germ rate was great I got tap root showing on 47 out of 50 seeds so if every thing goes smooth this could be me best grow. So Im gonna make a grow journal for once now that Ill have something worth looking at.

Thanks again every one.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
i start seedling in FFOF and have never burnt them or had problems

FFOF soil i mix 1 - 12 quart bag of black gold perlite inside a 32 gal plastic trash can it holds the bags of each nicely.

main thing with FFOF is be sure to mix it throughly before each use this will ensure no hot spots in your soil.

FFOF soil is the only soil i use and will use, any other medium i would use is streight coco

Panama Red

If you're that worried about burning them, put them in peat pots or rapid rooters and put those into the soil immediately.

In a few weeks when the roots start to penetrate the outside of the pp/rr's they should be stout enough to handle the "heat".

Baba Ku

Veteran
I've never seen ffof burn seedings either. Popped lots of em right in it.
ffhf is the same only lacking some kelp I think(?)...in any event it is a bit less N hot than the ocean forest.
Both great mediums, which I always mix 50/50 with coco.
Great advise folks.

libby

But I got a killer deal on these bags of OF a long time ago and still got em around.

Maybe that's your problem? It does go out of use.

indicameds

But I got a killer deal on these bags of OF a long time ago and still got em around.

Maybe that's your problem? It does go out of use.

I dont have a problem really. I was just worried because Ive heard its a hot soil to start seedlings in. But I appreciate your input, I got the bags about 8months ago. I pretty sure there still usable. I geuss time will tell.

Thanks again to every one.