What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first hydroponic grow log!

AmberMan

Light schedule -18-6
Ph - 6.0
Temp:daytime 72-79 night time 62-68
Humidity: 50%-70%

Setup:

Flower Room - 4.5X4.5X6.5foot grow tent, 600watt 6" air cooled HPS and 400watt 6" air cooled HPS, 4X4 Botanicare Ebb&Flow Table with 40gl. res., 24"X10" (6")scrubber ,6" 440CFM HO CanFan.

Veg. Room - 4X4foot grow tent, 2 2foot Compact T5fluorescents with 5000lumens each at 6400Kelvin, 4" 170CFM Inline fan.

Nutes:1-1-1 GH Micro,Gro,Bloom for veg, and Lucas formula 1-2 GH Micro,Bloom with Cha Ching for Flowering.

Strains - 1 Diesel,1 Sour Diesel,6 Island Sweet Skunk,1 White Rhino.

Last edited:

AmberMan

They looked great at first. Now they are drooping so I changed the water cycles from flood every 2hours to every 4-5hours, and lifted the light about a total of 12" to 14" from the tops of the plant. Should I drop the light since it is air cooled to the point my top are about 80degrees?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
they look over nuted, keep the watering cycle going, just give them nearly pure water till they start really growing new leaves.

AmberMan

Thanks for the reply gaiusmarius. I figured that I over nuted them with 1/2 strength GH Micro,Gro,and Bloom. I don't have a TDS/EC reader so its kind of hard to get it exact. Should I just keep topping the res. with 6.0ph'd water until new growth speeds up?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
At this point, I'd be feeding 1/4 tsp per gal GH Micro and Bloom (the green grow bottle is next to useless)

6.0 is the high side of hydro's pH scale. It's when you know it's time to lower it. While conventional wisdom long put the hydro range at 5.8 ± 0.2, there's a discussion here talking of lowering it to 5.2.

While you can run hydro without EC measurements, they make things far easier. Note there is no such thing as a TDS or PPM pen or meter. Pens and meters measure EC and nothing but EC. An EC pen will measure and display EC. A TDS or PPM pen will measure EC, hide the measurement and replace it with babel. Do the hobby and yourself a favor and stick with EC.

AmberMan

I just hate changing out my 40gl res. its a bitch. lol.. Thanks for the reply guys any advice WILL be needed, so again thanks. I'll have to consider that supervaca, it just seems to be a very small dose of nutes, which sounds about right to me to start them off with a very small amount of Flora series. I used the half stength method at first and it started showing signs of nute burning.

AmberMan

FreezerBoy thanks, This morning I will be changing the res. water out with fresh and dropping the Ph to 5.2 and 1/4 strength nutes.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
if your res is at half strength nutes now, maybe it's enough to reduce it to 1/4 dose. just empty it half way and refill with plain water and correct ph. no need to throw away all the nutrient solution.

an ec meter would totally help you in this situation, but just going to quoter dose should be fine, just till you see the new growth looking good.

i would go to the watering rhythm that you plan to use all the way through. you want the plants to get used to the hydroponic system asap. in those hydro balls you don't have to worry about over watering.

AmberMan

So, instead of changing my watering cycle from 8 times a day to 4 times a day, just keep it at 8times a day/every 2 hours. Right after this post I'm going to change out half of my res. solution and then just top it off with water and drop my PH from 6.0 to 5.5 and then just work up the PH from there. My solution in my res. after doing this should be close to 1/4 strength rather then 1/2 strength which was burning them. Does this sound right?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yes sounds good, you could also just go with 4 waterings a day, or back to 8 if that's what you normally do. i've seen those hydro tone set ups run with water running 24/7, so in the end it's your choice, just chose a schedule and then stick to it so the plants can make it's roots best able to uptake the nutrients.

i didn't read that ph related link, but from my current know how i'd say 5,5 is plenty low enough. will have to go read that ph link now :)

AmberMan

Just changed 4(5gl.)bucket of solution and replaced with straight water and PH'd it at about 5.5, its hard to tell by the ph color chart. Changed watering cycle back to once ever 2 hour/8 time a day. I will post a pic update in a few hours. To get the before and after results of the change of 1/2 strength nutes to 1/4 strength and dropping the PH from 6.0 to 5.5. My next step is to get some TDS/EC and PH meters. Instead of just relying on the Ph drops and color chart, and not having a TDS/EC meter sucks. Got to get one. I'll be back shortly with the before pics.

AmberMan

Week 2

Week 2

Before pic of 1/2 strength GH flora series, changed to 1/4 strength because they were burning, and Droped ph from 6.0 to 5.5. Lets see if this will be the fix.

Picture decription from top to bottom and left to right.
Diesel,SD,SD,SD,SuperSliverHaze Fem.,Himalayan Gold Fem.,White Widow Fem.

Keep PH at 5.8-6.2 range or u will pay for it in the end ppm meters is not a must i grow w/o them in hydro...stop by my GJ pix worth thousand words