What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bovedas 62% giving weird taste to my weed

THC123

Veteran
Hi,

I have been doing a test with bovedas and my cannabis has been curing for 2 weeks now. It smells good and the texture is perfect.

When I smoke it, it is incredibly smooth and expansive, very very satisfied on that part. One of the smoothest cures in jars that I have had.

But the weed has a weird and bitter aftertaste, this is not something I am used to. There is no mold and the cannabis is nice and dry (but not too dry).

Could bovedas be causing this? I don't have enough fresh weed to do a side by side so that could take a year or so. It is not the first time I had this with bovedas, but with the first test I used bovedas to dry my buds from 68 to 62% without opening the jar, which was successfull. I thought the weird taste at the time was due to not opening the jar once. But now I have the same bitter taste?

I am too impatient to wait untill my next harvest to get the answer:)

Anyone have had the same experience?

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
I've been using Bovedas for 4 or 5 years and have never noticed anything unusual with the aftertaste. Also, Bovedas aren't meant to dry your weed they are designed to hold it at a certain humidity after you have dried it correctly. I know you said you didn't see any mold but a bitter taste would lead me to suspect mold.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
That Acetone report was funded and distributed by a competing humidity pack company called Desiccare Inc to scare people.

There is absolutely no risk in using Boveda.

Boveda is completely safe and FDA compliant. Boveda consists of a natural solution of purified water and salts enclosed in a reverse osmosis permeable membrane. The result is clean, purified water vapor. Boveda is trusted by the most reputable companies across several industries, including tobacco and cannabis. The FDA-approved ingredients contained in Boveda DO NOT contain dangerous levels of acetone or any other harmful ingredients.

WHY THIS REPORT IS EGREGIOUS AND MISLEADING:

Acetone is found in nearly all plants, animals and in the air we breathe—including FDA-approved food ingredients—and is completely biodegradable in the air, water and soil. In fact, the human body produces acetone as it metabolizes fat and detection in one’s breath is normal.

Acetone has been found in indoor air at an average of 8 ppb (parts per billion) and OSHA defines safe and acceptable exposure levels up to 1 million ppb. The report noted the extremely low presence of acetone in Boveda (9.8 ppb).

The testing conducted detected similar levels of acetone in this new competitor’s product as well. This fact was not published in the findings. At this level of off-gas composition testing, everything—including all FDA approved products you consume—will show a relatively long list of organic compounds.

On a ppb level, these compounds are only detectable using sophisticated instruments. For reference, parts per billion is equivalent to: 1 pinch of salt in 10 tons of potato chips.

You can rest assured that Boveda provides safe, extremely effective and accurate 2-way humidity control for hundreds of thousands of customers each year. We take that responsibility very seriously.

The cannabis industry is on the verge of great growth. Opening access across the country and around the world will drive demand for flower. Demand that will drive supply. Supply that must be properly stored to keep it safe to consume.

Boveda invented, patented and pioneered humidity control 20 years ago. New companies will get into the cannabis humidification/dehumidification space, too. Some trustworthy, others not so much. Because of our history and reputation, we’re not in the business of “cutting down someone else’s chair to make ourselves look taller.” Boveda is in the business of keeping moisture-sensitive products in optimal condition.

Link To Source:

https://bovedainc.com/acetone-report-response/

Last edited:

ozzieAI

Veteran
10 ppb is a ridiculously low figure....

i have been using Bovedas in my C-Vaults for years now and i have never had any adverse effects...

The level of acetone in air and water is generally low. The amount of acetone in the air of cities is generally higher than in remote and rural areas. The typical level of acetone in the air of cities in the United States is about 7 parts of acetone per billion parts of air (ppb). The level of acetone in air inside homes is usually slightly higher than in outside air (8 ppb versus 7 ppb). This is because of household chemical use inside homes.

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=3&tid=1

THC123

Veteran
I've been using Bovedas for 4 or 5 years and have never noticed anything unusual with the aftertaste. Also, Bovedas aren't meant to dry your weed they are designed to hold it at a certain humidity after you have dried it correctly. I know you said you didn't see any mold but a bitter taste would lead me to suspect mold.

I know but in both cases I get a weird taste that I only get with the boveda pack. I'll do a side by side guys and let you know my findings.

SO to be clear this time the herb was dry when going in, the first time it wasn't. In both cases same weird taste.

ozzieAI

Veteran
please do...it would be good to know 'if' there is an issue...

my experience using C-Vaults with Bovedas (original packs) for over 5+ years is very positive...people notice when i open my tin.....

G

Im not buying this. However if the ones who dont like Boveda are kind of like the folks who hate fluoridated water. Here and elsewhere on forums its a die hard group that hates Boveda for their own reasons maybe but my very limited use seems to be worth it. What do the hard core cigar smokers like? Im not going to look it up since more seem to like it than dont. I personally like the 62% but they do leave the jarred flower on the moist side which also seems to aid ongoing curing. Smoke next stash goes into smaller jars to dry a bit more before smoked. I need to try some of the 58% stuff. I rely of facts in cases like this than personal preference. Id love to see a blind university type study. Im betting it comes out on the side of controlling moisture and pro boveda. But if not Id toss mine out.

G

@Stewart169 I posted a bunch of information yesterday in this thread you will probably appreciate. Posts #2607 through #2610 are the ones you want on page #261.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8445607#post8445607

I like and will continue to use them regardless of what a few shills yell about the Boveda packs causing all kinds of issues. I dont buy it. Too many people like them including me. The info is appreciated. Id bet that the folks who dont like them couldnt tell the diff in a blind smoke test and would probably pick the Boveda stored weed as better tasting and smoking.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I like and will continue to use them regardless of what a few shills yell about the Boveda packs causing all kinds of issues. I dont buy it. Too many people like them including me. The info is appreciated. Id bet that the folks who dont like them couldnt tell the diff in a blind smoke test and would probably pick the Boveda stored weed as better tasting and smoking.
Remember back in the day when someone caught "crabs" and folks immediately started to itch???

Same here! I use them. Can't say about taste because I make mari pills out of the bud, but they perform as advertised, when the drying process was carried out diligently. Time! The most valuable commodity in the world. They do the job both up and down :)

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
I don't hate them but I dont like any type of humidity packs in with my herb. Ime it leaves weed moist which isn't how I like my buds. After using them I just figured they were for folks who live in places with lower humidity.

G

I don't hate them but I dont like any type of humidity packs in with my herb. Ime it leaves weed moist which isn't how I like my buds. After using them I just figured they were for folks who live in places with lower humidity.

We usually take 3-5 grams or so out of the mason jars and put it one of the small black screwtop jars from amazon. It dries down some over a few days. Wife says it burns and smokes better like that. I can tell it’s at least several % points lower than jarred stuff. It’s all about preference I suppose.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Fluoride is bad. The rotten teeth and the need for fluoride in our drinking water is a lie. We have fluoride toothpaste. Also toxic halides such as fluorine, chlorine, and bromine bind to iodine receptors and interferes with iodine transport in the body. Which brings me to my next point: Most people aren't getting enough iodine in their diet which leads to many health issues. In the US flour used to contain iodine but they replaced it with toxic bromine. We have way too much bromine and flouride in our bodies along with GMO/pesticides. No wonder we see cancer so much now.

THC123

Veteran
2 days ago I removed a boveda 62% pack from the jar and when I open a jar now with each day I notice the smells are coming back. Also when I open the jar I am getting that dank smell again.

WTF does this mean? Why do they smell so little with boveda in there and who do the smells come through after just 2 days without boveda?

I am just trying to understand the science behind all of this.

Could it maybe be that the perfect atmosphere the boveda's create stops terpene evaporation? And that without the boveda's more terpenes evaporate, causing the danker smell? Just guessing here.....

I still have to experiment more to determine the cause of this loss of smell with the boveda's. I want to make them work because like I said, the moisture level was perfect and the smoke was ultra smooth. Just the taste and smells are not what I am used too.

Handlebar

Just heard somewhere they leach a substance I ok your flowers. As do the lovely black containers everyone uses for storage after harvest. Makes you wonder.