What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buds smell and taste like hay - first grow/harvest

CrushnYuba

It's much more then theory and very very easy with great results. Don't know why everyone doesn't do it. Everyone i have showed it to is in love. People have been doing something similar with paper bags for a long time.

Curing is just slow drying. Tobaco farmers dry and cure in special barns on the drying line. Our buds are different then tobacco leaf. We have to take a good bit of moisture out of it quick so it doesn't rot and then we slow it down to get the proper cure. Allot of people do it in glass jars but it's hard to get right. You forget to burp and you are screwed. U put it in a tiny bit to wet or dry and you are screwed. If i could, i would do all my curing on the same lines i dried in but when you have 100s of lbs that's not doable. I need to get everything off the lines so i can dry more weed! Curing in a soft plastic bin is kind of gross. I get big moving boxes. I fold the boxes closed and stack then in a room. Once in a while i flip the entire box and unfold the end that's now on top to let it breath for 30 minutes or so and fold it back up. The cardboard doesn't impart a funny smell like a plastic does, and it's way more forgiving then something that's always air right like glass.

humidipak 62% not really helping buds smell like shit taste like shit and dont even get you high till 30 mins later and that too hardly...*

what do i do =/

igrowone

Veteran
i've yet to get hay smelling buds, not claiming great skill, all credit to the many grow threads
mostly i've wondered how people get them
always done slow dries and no additional air motion
wonder if that moving air from fans doesn't strip away the beloved terpenes
unfortunately there seem to be multiple roads to this state

I

Ignignokt

I think leaving them too moist in the jars would ruin the smell/flavor if it was already below average.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Holes in cardboard. We use those plastic bread trays you see in the rear of grocery stores.
Have heard small autos, shoe boxes with flap partially open.

CrushnYuba

There is nothing you can do after the fact. If its hay, its hay. Most likely caused by genetics and wet trimming. Jaring your stuff up to early can definitely do some damage as well. But you can't make terps where there aren't. If the strain of is loud, it overpowers all the other subtle notes.