What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When harvesting?

Gio88

On Friday i’m going to harvest! I was thinking , considering the plant is really small, to dry the plant upside down in one of those brown bags from the market like what I’ve posted... what do you think?

Attachments

• 02350757-B247-4894-9119-33EA01842D54.jpeg
    02350757-B247-4894-9119-33EA01842D54.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 19

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Maybe if you're a purist. But... no.

Technically, the trichomes will oxidate if you leave your bud in the light for weeks or months, but too little for *anyone to notice. Ever wonder why trichomes go from clear, to cloudy, to amber? Oxidation.

Gio88

probably it's a dumb question but...after having harvested and cut off my plant , i haven't touched roots/soil etcc in the pot...can i grow up another plant from what is left or i have to throw way everything (except for the pot and the soil i mean )

Hydro8

On Friday i’m going to harvest! I was thinking , considering the plant is really small, to dry the plant upside down in one of those brown bags from the market like what I’ve posted... what do you think?

I have been playing around with dry small amounts in grocery bags the last couple harvests and it has worked well. I would not want to do large amounts like that but small it was turning out just fine. It was taking 5-7 days(in a dry climate).

If I was in an area were it was illegal I would totally do the bags for stealth and mobility.

probably it's a dumb question but...after having harvested and cut off my plant , i haven't touched roots/soil etcc in the pot...can i grow up another plant from what is left or i have to throw way everything (except for the pot and the soil i mean )

The soil from the previous grow will be a lot of roots and the soil will be depleted of lots of nutes. I would get fresh.

My thought would also be the old dead roots decaying could lead to mold, pests and other funk.

therevverend

Veteran

I like to screen my old soil. That way I'm not wasting the dirt but not leaving old roots in it that can rot. If you don't have a screen you can shake the old root balls to get some of the dirt and soil amendments out of it.

therevverend

Veteran
It's traditional to hang a plant upside and most of the time it's the most convenient way. But I've dried plants right side up and it didn't make any difference. It all depends on what's easiest for you.

On a similar subject I've read old grow books that advised uprooting the entire plant and hanging it upside down roots and all! This method stems from the mistaken idea that THC is produced in the roots and has to travel up the stem to the flowers. This is also why old books will tell you plants MUST be dried upside down. It's incredible how little good information there was about cannabis back in the day and how far we've come.

It's not necessary to hang plants in brown paper bags. Hanging in a closet is fine. I don't like to allow my drying buds to touch anything while drying I always hang them free. Anything that presses against a bud will smush it and distort it's shape.

When I had smaller amounts I'd use buckets. I'd lay a couple wire coat hangers across the top of a bucket. Then hang the colas inside the bucket without touching the sides and barely grazing against each other. Used to hang quite a few this way. Stick them up on a shelf or in a closet and even though my room smelled like pot no one would realize I was drying pot.

I used to wet trim my indoor flowers. Now I remove all the shade leaves and trim dry. There's pros and cons to both but if you have a lot of flowers you'll kill yourself trying to trim wet. And if you have a decent sized outdoor crop there's no way you'll finish before the plants are half dried.

Trimming half dried bud is terrible the scissors don't cut the flowers properly and everything gets smushed. Guys that keep a bunch of half dried buds wadded up in paper bags, grabbing up handfuls and squeezing them and pinching them all the time. Then they claim their pot is the best and better then yours. Growers are a silly bunch...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
A few years ago I had a small plant in the veggie garden and pulled it out and hung it by the roots. You have to be super careful because you'll get dirt/earth on the buds and it won't come off.

I tried Julian's advice about drying outdoor. It was humid as shit out and was worried it wouldn't dry at times. It took a good 2-3 weeks to dry enough to say it was ready. I have to say, it's the smoothest smoke ever. No cough or harshness at all. I have a leanto similar to this I used to hang it in.
e9a9353792bd0e18e0f02b5e4b909481.jpg

Gio88

I put my branch (it’s just one lol)upside down in a brown bag In your opinion it will be ready to be tanned in a week?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

If you re amend the soil there is no real reason to throw it away.

Hydro8

I put my branch (it’s just one lol)upside down in a brown bag In your opinion it will be ready to be tanned in a week?

It depends on humidity and air flow. If you are in Arizona on a windy day you buds will might dry in 12 hours.

Most people use the grocery bags to keep in moisture(slower drying). I just put about a 1/4lb in each bag and set it on a shelf in the high desert they dried enough to trim and jar in 7 days

Gio88

It depends on humidity and air flow. If you are in Arizona on a windy day you buds will might dry in 12 hours.

Most people use the grocery bags to keep in moisture(slower drying). I just put about a 1/4lb in each bag and set it on a shelf in the high desert they dried enough to trim and jar in 7 days

I put the bag with the brench under the stairs in my room, it is dark and considering it's not a closed place air should pass easily!my only doubt it's the brown bag..... I read, it should "fast" the process but in this case i wonder if it just stop part of the air (even if i made a lot of holes on it, just to male sure air enter) what do you think! I live in Italy and here autumn has just started so the temperature is starting to become colder

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Just open the bag every day for a few minutes. When you open the bag, it'll be a little wet. Let it air dry, then back in the bag it goes.

If you can put it in the freezer with the bag open, or in a cardboard box, it'll dry via sublimation. Quite nice smoke I'm told.

Search ICMag for FREEZER. There's a good thread on it.

Latest posts

Latest posts