What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germinating old seeds

apathy.

I Have 3 sets of seed that I am trying to sprout. I've had them for 7 years and the last successful grow I've had with them was 2 years ago, but now whenever I try to pop a few seeds, they fail. A tap root will always emerge after 12-24 hours, but for some reason looks like it gets sucked back into its shell. I'm down to the last 10 of each and they aren't strains I want to lose.

T

TrueReligion

What's your method of germination?

try to put them in a labeled shot cup with warm distilled water you can even scuff them up a bit by making a cylinder with sand paper and have them tumble inside. It helps them better absorb the water.

Immediately put it into moist(not damp) soil with the tap root facing downward. It sounds like they're healthy enough since the taproot breaks the shell but they're drying out or may be too old?

Emmay_Dee

If you store multiple seeds in the same container over time the weakest seeds are going to shed their residual moisture to the stronger one and youre stuck with a needle in a haystack. Minimize the ammount of seeds in a sealed container and if you can individually would be best. I think a sativa seed wouldnt last as long as an indica seed because indica strains were subjected to quite cold temps and snow would fall and insulate a seed from brutal wind chill for maybe decades on a north face. Naturally by the time a sativa seed fell the next grow season would quickly germinate the seed allowing for no natural incubation. If your seeds are sativa heritage dont wait any longer. Hope any of this helps.

~Always~

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Why do so many people not give the actual details of what they do?

So how are you starting your seeds?

Sounds like pathogens probably present on the outside of the shell are killing them.. stick em in sterile water and add like stated 3% ish of h2o2 to the water they're in and leave until the tail is a cm or so then get them straight into some weak fine peaty soil and sprinkle a fine layer of mykos or azos or great white over the seedling to outcompete anything residual.

Good luck.. :tiphat: