What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Portable Dabs

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Here's what I use. Tesla battery mod and a seego v-hit rise. Works like a dream. Big fat death strokes just like a nail. The chamber holds more than the average globe attachment does. Battery goes up to 6 volts and regulates ohm's to ensure it doesn't burn the coil up. For both pieces it was around $75 on ebay.

Attachments

• 20140730_135803.jpg
    20140730_135803.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 23
but there are people out there building all kinds of crazy coils without wicks and stovetop designs, etc.

More info on this please!

I have been looking around and seen all kinds of coil designs but pretty much strictly related to ejuice. I would like to see some more concentrate specific coils if there are any.

Also I see in your last post you also have the Omega RDA. In my searching around I have seen that the Omega has a very large/deep "cup" so to say which made me think it would work best for our purposes but you also say you have tested a lot and the Patriot came out on top? Do tell!

Thanks for all the info

flatslabs

Here's what I use. Tesla battery mod and a seego v-hit rise. Works like a dream. Big fat death strokes just like a nail. The chamber holds more than the average globe attachment does. Battery goes up to 6 volts and regulates ohm's to ensure it doesn't burn the coil up. For both pieces it was around $75 on ebay.

Look, I am not trying to hate on these other pens, I know it seems like that with some of my replies. I just want to re-iterate there is a difference in these devices, I have tried them all.

I have both kinds (and 20 others), I just thought this thread was about having a real portable dab in your pocket and this seego and all these concentrate atomizers are great at what they do, but they aren't a nail replacement. It's like a little bump when I want a fat line.

You aren't getting nail hits with a 2.5 ohm coil, which is what is in a seego rise, no matter what kind of battery you have hooked up to it.

And while your battery may go up to 6 volts, the max rated for that atomizer is 4.2 so you are going to do damage to the atomizer given enough time unless you have your wattage turned way down which defeats the purpose.

The Tesla is a nice battery, but do yourself a favor and get yourself a real atomizer to go on it. They have a 510 connection already so you can screw a patriot right on top of it for a $20 investment.

Oh and to add to that somewhat, I have also seen that stovetop design and was kind of thinking if you made 2 stovetop coils and centered them on each side of the posts in the cup then you could almost not have a wick and just put your concentrates right into the top over the 2 flat coils.

I will definitely be experimenting when my parts come in

flatslabs

I have been looking around and seen all kinds of coil designs but pretty much strictly related to ejuice. I would like to see some more concentrate specific coils if there are any.

Also I see in your last post you also have the Omega RDA. In my searching around I have seen that the Omega has a very large/deep "cup" so to say which made me think it would work best for our purposes but you also say you have tested a lot and the Patriot came out on top? Do tell!

Thanks for all the info

I like the Omega because it has adjustable air holes and the cap seems to stay on much better than the patriot if you bump it around a lot. It does have a deeper cup, but the air holes are drilled into the side of that cup, so you can't use much of it.

The patriot doesn't have adjustable airflow, but that hasn't been an issue for me, you can always drill the hole bigger if you want, the one I got was pre-drilled.

The thing that sells me on the patriot over the omega is that posts that you screw the coils onto with the patriot, they go into holes drilled into the sides of the posts themselves, which lets you seat the coils lower.

The omega just screws onto the top of the posts under the screw heads, which in my opinion makes it a little harder to work with and take advantage of that bigger cup.

flatslabs

Thanks for all the info

I think you will have to do your own research really. Get a spool of wire and build whatever you can come up with, just make sure you get the ohm tester so you can check its safe before testing some crazy new design.

If you just want to make one huge stovetop coil, you might be better off finding an RDA other than the patriot which only has 2 poles that are offset to the side instead of 3

I like the Omega because it has adjustable air holes and the cap seems to stay on much better than the patriot if you bump it around a lot. It does have a deeper cup, but the air holes are drilled into the side of that cup, so you can't use much of it.

The patriot doesn't have adjustable airflow, but that hasn't been an issue for me, you can always drill the hole bigger if you want, the one I got was pre-drilled.

The thing that sells me on the patriot over the omega is that posts that you screw the coils onto with the patriot, they go into holes drilled into the sides of the posts themselves, which lets you seat the coils lower.

The omega just screws onto the top of the posts under the screw heads, which in my opinion makes it a little harder to work with and take advantage of that bigger cup.

Thanks again! Great info!

I did like the benefit of adjustable airflow on the Omega but I also read someone else talking about the same downside you did (lack of holes in the posts). What confuses me is that the pictures of the Omega RDA on eBay clearly show holes in the posts? Maybe its been updated, or the clone manufacturers wised up? ha!

Do you think the stovetop idea would work well with the deeper cup or is that kind of a pipe dream? I realize this is meant more for a load and rip not to keep going all day but it would be nice to get a FEW rips out of it each time at least haha

I think you will have to do your own research really. Get a spool of wire and build whatever you can come up with, just make sure you get the ohm tester so you can check its safe before testing some crazy new design.

If you just want to make one huge stovetop coil, you might be better off finding an RDA other than the patriot which only has 2 poles that are offset to the side instead of 3

Yeah I figured as much that's why i've been searching around on my own for the past day or two lol I think I know pretty much all I need but figured if you had more experience in the concentrate spectrum for these RDAs/Coils then you might have better advice.

I definitely am ready to try all sorts of weird coil designs I can think up.

Have you had a chance to try any of the more advanced ones like the Plume Veil RDA? all kinds of adjustments etc and there is a clone out too.

flatslabs

I guess it depends on who you get it from. Like I said there are a million companies making clones of all of the parts so there is probably someone out there making one with holes and hex headed screws also.

The adjustable airflow hasnt been a problem for me because the rip you get is so huge, you really dont need any restriction on the airflow.

Even with the regular coils I make once you get the mesh seasoned up you can get a few rips in as long as you smear enough in there and dont hold your button down for too long and burn it all up. I try to keep it limited to 1 - 2 hits because once you burn your wicking dry you are going to get a metallic flavor most likely.

flatslabs

Yeah I figured as much that's why i've been searching around on my own for the past day or two lol I think I know pretty much all I need but figured if you had more experience in the concentrate spectrum for these RDAs/Coils then you might have better advice.

I definitely am ready to try all sorts of weird coil designs I can think up.

Have you had a chance to try any of the more advanced ones like the Plume Veil RDA? all kinds of adjustments etc and there is a clone out too.

Honestly the 7 - 8 wrap 24 gauge wire around a 2mm post has worked best for me but I haven't tried any of the stovetop stuff, just different wire gauges and braids, etc.

The only thing I have wanted to try is the ceramic wick, which someone in this thread said don't bother, but gave no reasoning.

I think pretty much any RDA is going to be pretty much the same. The differences are going to be the number of posts and wether they have adjustable airflow or not. I haven't heard of the Plume Veil you listed, but it looks similar to one my friend has called the Brass Monkey. Its still a 3 post design like the patriot, it just has separate holes on the center post for your coils.

KONY

Veteran
What is the deal with the clones versus the original RDA's?

The TOBH for example.... the original is 80$, versus $10-20 for the clones. I saw a review online that said the original is machined better and you can tell higher quality metal, however this person was using it for nicotine, not BHO.

edit: i guess I should say are any of the originals worth the money over the clones?

flatslabs

Its the same with any product really. Someone comes up with a design, outsources it to be manufactured, and the next day 50 chinese companies are all selling the same product.

All I can suggest is look for ones which say they are 1:1 clones of the original, or buy the original if you really want to spend the extra bucks.

My Nemesis clone is made by Ehpro, they seem to be regarded as one of the higher quality clone companies but honestly other than screw / post differences I haven't seen much variance from one to the next.

mingmen

good questions in here about the coils. I was thinking similar things but unable to put into words.

mingmen

Do I have this right...you choose either 2 or 3 coil wire designs (and adjustable airflow or not)? Looking at most I think I would only hit off one coil at a time - like the design flatslabs made. Even though they will both power up each time though if I got it right.
Maybe half a dab on each.

RonSmooth

Veteran
flatslabs:

Does you family work in the retail business or are they strictly import/distribution?

This thread has been very helpful for those who are new to PV's. The info is especially helpful coming from someone who has a chance to sample several different brands.

Anyway, I would like to give your family the business if possible.

Would have sent you a PM but it looks like you cant get them yet. Posting links to non affiliated sites is probably a no-no but IMO its clear that your intentions are not primarily to make a few sales.

Thanks

Do I have this right...you choose either 2 or 3 coil wire designs (and adjustable airflow or not)? Looking at most I think I would only hit off one coil at a time - like the design flatslabs made. Even though they will both power up each time though if I got it right.
Maybe half a dab on each.

I have been doing more research on coil design specifically for concentrates and seem to have found a wealth of information on another forum.

here is a picture of what is currently being touted as the best solution yet. it is a stovetop coil that has been sheathed with a specially treated ceramic wicking material.

This is probably something I am going to build my ideas off of.

*Note* This is NOT my coil I am simply showing you images from the original builder to get ideas from.

The coil
QESkQCT.jpg

After using about 0.5g
9kWOf7v.jpg

Glowing/Cleaning
m86YNm3.jpg

Cleaned after use just by heating it up!
VUurETK.jpg

Pretty promising if you ask me! I can't wait to build my own.

KONY

Veteran
Its the same with any product really. Someone comes up with a design, outsources it to be manufactured, and the next day 50 chinese companies are all selling the same product.

All I can suggest is look for ones which say they are 1:1 clones of the original, or buy the original if you really want to spend the extra bucks.

My Nemesis clone is made by Ehpro, they seem to be regarded as one of the higher quality clone companies but honestly other than screw / post differences I haven't seen much variance from one to the next.

Your nemesis clone RDA or nemesis clone battery case? I thought nemesis was a style of battery, havent seen nemesis atomizers...

My question still remains; are the originals worth the extra money; as in are they made from much better quality materials and will last longer, the thread connections for example??

I could care less about a name brand, unless its of higher quality that justifies the price.

Ugh! I guess the pictures didn't work... and they don't allow me to edit my posts. Here it is again...

*Note* This is NOT my coil I am simply showing you images from the original builder to get ideas from.

The coil
QESkQCT.jpg

After using about 0.5g
9kWOf7v.jpg

Glowing/Cleaning
m86YNm3.jpg

Cleaned after use just by heating it up!
VUurETK.jpg

Pretty promising if you ask me! I can't wait to build my own.

Hope the pictures work this time.

Your nemesis clone RDA or nemesis clone battery case? I thought nemesis was a style of battery, havent seen nemesis atomizers...

My question still remains; are the originals worth the extra money; as in are they made from much better quality materials and will last longer, the thread connections for example??

I could care less about a name brand, unless its of higher quality that justifies the price.

IMO, As with any other products in this category it more than likely comes down to personal preference on health hazards.

More than likely the "stainless steel" they use is of lesser quality than that produced in the USA, as with all the other parts they use to create the product. So it depends if you want your product touching and heating up on unknown materials that could negatively effect the outcome, taste, health, etc. As well as not lasting as long due to being a lesser material.

When it comes to a Titanium nail for my rig at home... no questions asked I will spend the extra money on a *real* made in the USA product even if it is 4-5x the $ of the knock off version. I use strictly Highly Educated nails on my rigs, not that cheap knock off Chitanium crap. I've tried them and they are garbage.

But I will admit, I am ordering clone parts for my first Mech Mod build just to see if I am really going to even like it or want to continue on with it. I have tested almost every stupid "dab/oil" pen out there and they are all garbage. I am doing this to see if there truly is a better experience with pens/portability.

In the end, its what its worth to you. After seeing some of the prices on some of the real mech mod parts... I think I will skip them right over. No vaporizer pen is worth that IMO. However, maybe I would only buy a *real* RDA since that is the only part that comes in contact with your product and also your lungs?

...and thats enough dabbed out rambling for now :biggrin:

theJointedOne

Veteran
i saw some stuff like that on a fuckcombustion.com thread,

great site btw if anyone wants to check out a place for vapor enthusiasts

Latest posts

Latest posts