What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WET VS DRY Trimming

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have always wet trimmed My last round & this one coming out in the next week or so are all the same strains .... so its a perfect time to try the dry trim on them to see if theres a difference or not . I'll just pluck the fans & let the branches hang till dry . do you guys suggest trimming them then or wait till they've sweat out the moisture a few times in the jars before final trimming ???

St3ve

I will say this, we can all agree that the longer you take to dry them the better.

That said, when I went from hanging to dry then trimming to wet trimming in a trimming machine, I had to relearn how to dry my buds. They can dry SO much faster when they are trimmed wet. The first couple of runs when I used the trimmer, I was not happy AT ALL with the results. Smell and taste were lacking to the point I was kind of embarrassed when I showed my finish product off.

Then I got good at controlling the drying environment.. thus able to slow down the dry from a wet trim. This made a monumental difference.

I ask the folks who have compared their own grows, how many days did you dry them compared to each other? I asked because you can't dry them side by side in the same room or the wet trimmed stuff will dry faster and the test won't be fair. I could hang buds on one side of the room and they would take around 10 days. In the same room, the wet trimmed would dry in 3-4.

Now, I wet trim them in a trimmer, and dump the buds in a rack. I keep the room around 65-70F and shoot for 65% RH and it takes around 10 days. Then I bin them up around a stable 65% and cure them as long as I can, usually two-four weeks at least.

I will probably never go back to dry trimming because I feel I get top shelf results, and it takes FAR less time trimming wet.

dry trim

dry trim

I always dry trim. then there is no rush to trim and almost no need for scissors. I think the no smell and poor taste comes for ppl thinkin it is dry and sticking in jars for cure. curing and drying are 2 totally different things. the cure can not be started until the bud is fully dried...... dont stretch the dry, I think thats where ppl get the hay/grass smell

To say your Wet trimmed was garbage compared to dry seems foolish...

You need to learn how to cure than bud... Yes dryer material that is not trimmed smells more and nicer right after the hang, but if you cant sell cured bud, then your process is wack or your bud is shit.

I Wet trim, I love bubble, and I just freeze trimmings... And my weed is Dank, and REAKS and TASTE Sooooooooo nice "I am lucky to have alot of variety to compare too"

Not to say that Dry trim wont get you nicer or smeller bud, but to tell people on the site that wet trim is shit compared to dry is garbage... Cool post, get people trying new things, but lets be realistic here people this is not the magical fix everyone has been looking for, the; "A perfect cure every time" thread is!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did both wet and dry I found the dried bud smelled stronger then the wet trimmed bud. This is why I changed I prefer To trim dry IME or I would have never changed. It has never effected Potency wet or dry the bud is dank.. Can be very strain dependent. You wont notice it as much with a very strong smelling strain. I wish you luck what ever you choose to do.

St3ve

dont stretch the dry, I think thats where ppl get the hay/grass smell

So you are saying to dry faster for less grass smell?

I did both wet and dry I found the dried bud smelled stronger then the wet trimmed bud. This is why I changed I prefer To trim dry IME or I would have never changed. It has never effected Potency wet or dry the bud is dank.. Can be very strain dependent. You wont notice it as much with a very strong smelling strain. I wish you luck what ever you choose to do.

Did you read my post above? When you are comparing your dry trimmed to your wet trimmed, how did you dry them each to compare? In what conditions and how many days?

doneit

Veteran
Dry trim here, IMO it makes the final product much better, it is also much easier to clean up when dry, the leaf will almost fall off the bud when touched with scissors.

dread

Veteran
i just did a test with a Sage plant.. took half.. wet dried right wen cut down.. hung to dry.. and then other half.. left hanging no trim.. trimmed after dry..

ok .. the wet trim bud is way diff.. barely any smell.. needs a longer cure.. then the dry trim bud FOR Sure..

these are my results.. and ill never wet trim again PERIOD .. it mite save time. but it also fucks up the dryin process.. meaning u have to cure longer to get a smooth smoke..

i have always done it like this,& have always been trying to convince peeple to do it the right way....this way!
trimming wet buds is no goodfor me personally
but each its own way....

B

BasementGrower

ya ive always harvested.. and had too much work to do puttin more plants into flower so i never got around to doing a wet trim.. .. but this last harvest was huge and i was going to try it. so i only did 1 plant .that was done before the rest.. and ya Wet Trimming is not the RIGHT WAY for sure.. it almost ruins bud..

now i take a few days to clean my room after every harvest.. instead of every 2 harvests.. so this helps me to let them dry long enough !!

So you are saying to dry faster for less grass smell?

Did you read my post above? When you are comparing your dry trimmed to your wet trimmed, how did you dry them each to compare? In what conditions and how many days?

It differs greatly for different climates. there cant be a set number of days as every growers/ dryers environment is different. I'm just sayin dont put weed in jars till dry. maybe if your rh is super low then the brown bag/ box is a good thing to do to get it ready for jars. And as far as bubble is concerned I like dry for that too. Check out matt rize on youtube. He uses dry trim and makes fullmelt and has coined his own brand thats he calls Icewax..... Even subcool says it is some of the best he has ever smoked

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
i prefer wet trim because i can really clean the buds up nicely giving them A+ bag appeal

D

DHF

i prefer wet trim because i can really clean the buds up nicely giving them A+ bag appeal
I tried the dry trim when I began outside with too much to deal with , and quickly moved away from it......and then....the next yr......

We removed EVERYTHING on the vine that wasn`t nuggage while plants were still in the ground before chop and I never looked back ...especially after goin inside with smaller plants ....anyways....

There are no absolutes in this world , and I assure ALL here that by getting rid of as much chlorophyll BEFORE chop only helps the plants to prevent that "hay" smell and taste , and dry more evenly to develop their terpene profiles over a nice slow dry and cure till nugs are to that perfect 62% before bein jarred/bagged or whatever process for market.....regardless.....

Many ways ta skin a mule.....Dehuey`s and major air exchange ruled my finish process , as to where it`s prolly too dry for most folks with lower RH levels.....IOW......

All about dialin environment.......for growin em AND dryin em......My 2 cents from all them yrs....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

Last edited:
B

BasementGrower

dude thats wat i thought too lol.. my bag appeal on the wet shit was great.. but then .. like dhf said. id take off every leaf that had a stem and no crystals.. before the chop.. toss those in the trash.. then dry. an trim.. and i still have great bag appeal.. but now instead of people opening the bag to smell it.. i hand it to them and they smell it before they even See it lol. and the dry trim also helps with curing.. too u dont need to cure half as long!.. to regain smell

B

BasementGrower

To say your Wet trimmed was garbage compared to dry seems foolish...

You need to learn how to cure than bud... Yes dryer material that is not trimmed smells more and nicer right after the hang, but if you cant sell cured bud, then your process is wack or your bud is shit.

I Wet trim, I love bubble, and I just freeze trimmings... And my weed is Dank, and REAKS and TASTE Sooooooooo nice "I am lucky to have alot of variety to compare too"

Not to say that Dry trim wont get you nicer or smeller bud, but to tell people on the site that wet trim is shit compared to dry is garbage... Cool post, get people trying new things, but lets be realistic here people this is not the magical fix everyone has been looking for, the; "A perfect cure every time" thread is!

but shit im not saying.. its a magical fix.. lol.. all im saying.. is .. if u feel ur buds dont have such a nice smell .. like they did wen they were growing.. try to hang dry then trim .. dry for 7-16 days.. trim .. jar up.. and see if it helps.. if it helps .. then GREAT.. but if not? then try something Else.

hey .. n i never said... that your wet trimmed weed was worse then my dry trimmed. i said MY dry trimmed turned out way better then My wet trimmed.. not in potency.. or looks.. just in the smell and taste department..

butttt so far. id rather take a few days or weeks to get my harvest trimmed dry.. then to trim it alll in a night wet... Thats how much difference in smell and taste im seeing...

M

mugenbao

I am a recent convert to dry trimming, and I doubt that I will ever go back to trimming wet. I think my dry/cure process is easier to manage in my situation when doing the dry trim, and I've been extremely happy with the results. For me, that means that recent harvests have dried slower and cured better, and have retained stronger taste and smell.

But then, I only grow personal-use quantities and am not likely to invest much time and effort into controlling the post-harvest environment like DHF suggests. If there was any financial incentive I absolutely would as I totally see where he's coming from, but for me I just want to do the best I can within the environment I have and in my case that means trimming after drying :D

YMMV :joint:

I wet trim because its just me to pull down the room. Once I raised my drying room to a constant 65-70 deg and 55+ %, and jar up just as the stems crack but the buds still a tad spongy, I found I could fine tune with just burping in 2 oz glass jars. Lots of them.

With that said, I would try a dry trim if I had more room but it all boils down to what's convenient for each grower. No two setups the same.

St3ve

It differs greatly for different climates. there cant be a set number of days as every growers/ dryers environment is different. I'm just sayin dont put weed in jars till dry. maybe if your rh is super low then the brown bag/ box is a good thing to do to get it ready for jars. And as far as bubble is concerned I like dry for that too. Check out matt rize on youtube. He uses dry trim and makes fullmelt and has coined his own brand thats he calls Icewax..... Even subcool says it is some of the best he has ever smoked

My question was comparing dry trimming versus wet trimming... how many days for each one in YOUR (or anyone claiming the difference) personal grow.

B

BasementGrower

i had same time for dry.. i took them off the stem put into a container that let air in and out slower then just lettin them dry outside on a screen.. iunno i really saw a hugeeeeee difference so im stuck to it....... and dude ya i just pulled down like a 7 pound harvest.. that i will trim . 6 pounds myself