What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WET VS DRY Trimming

B

BasementGrower

i just did a test with a Sage plant.. took half.. wet dried right wen cut down.. hung to dry.. and then other half.. left hanging no trim.. trimmed after dry..

ok .. the wet trim bud is way diff.. barely any smell.. needs a longer cure.. then the dry trim bud FOR Sure..

these are my results.. and ill never wet trim again PERIOD .. it mite save time. but it also fucks up the dryin process.. meaning u have to cure longer to get a smooth smoke..

bloyd

Veteran
I would be curious to hear your impressions after a month in the jar on both samples. I am wondering if it will still be superior after the wet trimmed has had a chance to cure/regain smell.

More and more I am hearing that a dry trim provides better smells, flavors, and funk.

whatthe215

Veteran
i have been thinking of switching to dry trimming so that i can trim offsite from the grow. don't want anyone to ever know where the new spot is but me. had no idea quality was different as i've only ever wet trimmed. great thread.

:)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you should have some Oder control where you trim at. They reek to high heaven..You also need to learn when to stop drying. Most of the outside should be crispy. The branches should crack. I dont dry my plants more then 55%Rh. This way I can still cure them...

Last edited:
B

BasementGrower

hammerhead is right on.. i pull my fan leaves off the last day of lights on... every fan leaf with no trichomes gets yanked.. then 24-48 hours of dark time.. and Cut in the Dark.. under agreen light.. then. put right onto strings to hang dry.. depending on situation.. it takes 5-14 days .. i been getting my dry to take 10-14 days.. and still cure them for 2-4 weeks before selling..

but ya i did the test with horrible wet trimming results.. i am pissed.. the stuff thats in jars that was wet trimmed sucked in the smell department.. and taste was horrible. compared to the dry trimmed. i was very impressed with the results.. and the stuff has been curing for 2 weeks.. the wet trim i cant give away.. the dry trim is gone.. even when i tell them its the same strain.. they think im lieing.

but ya.. i like to pull off all my fans.. before the darktime.. i took some day of the harvest shots.. but i still got another 20-30 ish. to go.. they just started the flush.. so another 2 weeks or so.

im also.. going to say this.. i did a full grow. MH vs HPS. and only am i going to say this.. its all strain dependent.. honestly. i had some do horrible under mh. some did better. but all of the HPS plants did way better then the MH room. so thats enough for me to say no to going full MH.. but next is a mixed spectrum test to see what does beter mixed or just straight hps.

W89

Veteran
doing the dry trim can you cut and hang each branch or do you have to hang the whole plant?

EDIT: @ BG I have just bought some CMH bulbs to give them a go.. I have done done just hps and just MH in the past, My results were more bud from the HPS but more resin production from the MH.. Im hoping the CMH will give best of both worlds they have a wider spectrum of light - I will be puting them in today wen the lights come on looking foreward to seeing the results

B

BasementGrower

at the most.. i chop plants in half.. hanging both sides.. but wen i do that i number plants. i wana see whats good with yield per plant.. so i gota number everything.. !! it sucks but. hey i wana see whats good with these strains.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes you can separate the branches. When you start cutting the leaves on the buds is when you start losing Terpenes

B

BasementGrower

hammerhead.. do u have any experience with Low Temp Drying?

im currently dryin in a room that gets from 57-65 degrees F . and stays around 40-45 rh.. will the cold temps screw with anything? i havent seen a problem with it . but some1 said mold in low temps? i didnt know that?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes the longer it takes to dry them more risk you have getting mold... I dry room temp (72f) for about 7-10 days.

Last edited:

W89

Veteran
yes you can separate the branches. When you start cutting the leaves on the buds is when you start losing Terpenes

cheers for the reply mate that makes it a lot easier to store and dry like that whole plants would be a bit of a pain if you havent got much room

B

BasementGrower

i reallly hope people look at this thread and stop wet trimming.. honestly.. i just was matching up with a friend this morning.. and he pulled out some nice looking buds but then i was lookin for a smell... and i got that hay smell.. kinda weird.. so i asked dry or wet.. he said WET.. i told about the dry.... so hes going to do the rest dry. and watch i bet he dont ever go back to wet EASY trimming..

OrganicBuds

Veteran
This is what everybody says, but dam, when you have an outdoor harvest dry trimming SUCKS!!! I have done side by sides, and I never see that big of a difference from the wet trim vs dry trim. Maybe I need to be more observant.

ghostnugz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yall are too funny. my boys who grow all say the sme thing yet my wet trimmed buds are always the best smelling out of the whole crew. i realy find it hard to believe doing it either way makes a huge difference as long as youre doing it the correct way.