What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Key Points Of Harvest Time

this thread is amazing. just followed the steps and waiting to follow the rest :)
thankyou guys for being apart of this forum, the information shared is priceless, and in such a friendly environment no less.
probobly the best forum on the web....

wolfiehowlin

I am very close to my first harvest, and I must say that this site has been immensely helpful to me. This post is no different, so thank you Wrams for sharing it with us.

Now if I could only find those trimming shears!

Wolfie

jokainda

Awesome post man! This combined with Simon's thread are perfect. ICMag is single-handedly ensuring that everyone paying attention and soaking up the valuable info will have amazing, perfectly-cured buds.

first of all i'd like to thank the guy of the thread! Thanks to him this year I could cut my first plant ever! In fact, I've been looking and searching in web for good instructions and this has been the most complete! Thanks again! Second of all I would ask wich is and where I can find simon's post! As I say I'm not an experinced person and the plant I have, wich as been given to me as a present, it was ready to cut so I didn't even grown it! Since I found this web side I'm starting to love the idea next year to grow my own one... You really don't know how happy I am of have found all of you and cannatris international! Sorry I'm loosing the line. Questions: wich is simon's thread? And: my plants are hanghing since three days and today I feel like they smell of normal grass !!! Is it possible??? And again, how I dry the leaves I've cut? I would like to use them in the kitchen, liquors etc.... Sorry my English please, I'm Italian!:thank you:

A

AlterEgo860

ive been doing this for a while now.. for best of the best smells and tastes.. i allow my plants to be flushed.. the last 2 waterings of flush.. i flush with as cold as i can get the tap water .. and also been lowering my room dark time and lights on temps. the last week or 2.. and i raise my lights the last 5 days.. and ive noticed that ive been getting some extremly stinky buds..

Jon 54

Simply a great tutorial for all growers, from novice to expert . We always can learn something of value no matter how experienced we think we are.
Jon 54
:plant grow::plant grow:

@ Wrams

Oh man.. what an amazing post!

I am a first time grower having a lively discussion about harvesting with a highly seasoned grower. On the other hand, I lived and worked in commercial fruits for 25 years. I know how to make things grow, just not MMJ,,,yet

I knew that plants had to be harvested at night. I knew this because any plant that you consume only a part of the root, or a part of the top, that it was important what was in the stems. I considered that hay is the part that is eaten by cows, and we harvest hay at night. We harvest at night because it makes it the best for the cows, so then I reasoned MMJ had to be harvested at night. But for the life of me, could not explain why. I just knew it was really important, but was concerned that my grower friend would think I was nuts if I told him I was going to harvest at night.

Thank you SO much for your post!! It made every second I was on ICC mag worth it, just to read this thread. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Long time lurker and first time grower here.
I have learned SO much from this community, and there is SO much to learn that I have been stuffing my brain with it AS I need it.
I am coming into my last 3 weeks of flower and it's time to start learning about the harvest/curing part of this journey.
What a great post to add to my mental repertoire.
Thanks so much for the post... awesome
FW

TedNugget

I know this topic has been discussed before... I know there are people on both sides of the argument. The people that say to harvest before lights come on say that as soon as the lights come on thr plant moves all those starches (etc) from the roots into the plant.
But here's my question -

How could the plant Instantly move all that stuff from the roots into the plant? I mean, I could see that it would start the process once lights are on. But how could it do it instantly when hit with the first morning light? I wasn't aware a plant had the ability to move things in that manner.
So, having said that, I could see why you'd want to harvest early in the AM as soon as the lights come on. But is it really necessary to try to harvest in complete darkness?

Also, my next question - I have a hell of a time telling when the tricomes have turned cloudy (and yes I've seen some of the pics). They always look kind of cloudy to me, even when I know there are weeks left... Where exactly do you look? At the center of the tricome head? For the stem of the tricome to turn cloudy? I think a lot of times I end up waiting too long...

webecat

I alway thought harvest time was when you were 10% or so amber and all cloudy to get more of a complete high.

Codepoo

Harvesting

Harvesting

after you cut your plant is it a good idea to put it in a closed room with a light and a fan ? Or no light? If a light just a regular ? 1st time growing sorry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 97

matt11

Nice post, thanks for sharing. You should add another section, specifically going into more details about trichome ripeness, and magnification. To me this is the most important step in harvesting top notch cannabis:yes:

why do you dry in the dark? wouldnt it be better to dry with some light? would the plants not continue to produce resin until they dry too much, without light wouldnt they go into a "hibernation" and quit doing anything?

Light causes photooxidation to the resin glands causing them to break down quicker. As much as you can you want to limit your flowers exposure to air and light. That is why people keep there buds in sealed containers of some sort in dark places. You also want to avoid storing your flowers at high temperatures. I would wager a guess that the closer you can get to 34 degrees the better. This is the temperature they keeps perishable fruits and vegetables at such as apples to keep them fresh without freezing them. At this temperature apples can be stored for a year. Imagine how long your flowers would last if properly cured in an airtight container in the dark at 34 degrees.

Latest posts

Latest posts