What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

thanks a ton for the useful thread. looks like you guys bought up the cheaper ones on amazon.. will have to wait for the price to go back down lol.

opt1c

Veteran
all i got to say is that knowing/monitoring environmental conditions plus science is the bomb when it comes to growing :joint:

i vote for a sticky as well; golden thread... i lost count of the number of newbie growers i know that managed to pull their first crop through harvest without mold/bugs/etc for the first time only to f it up on the cure and piss all that quality away... every grower should know how to properly harvest and cure before they even pop a seed if u ask me +K

rrog

Veteran
I just harvested, and am currently slow drying in my micro-grow room. I have a humidifier and small heater in there to keep temp almost 70F and humidity almost 70%RH.

I'll do this for 7 days, then place in big jars with the hygrometers.

I'm off and running!

D4sh3y

I just got mine in the mail. Smaller than i expected thats a good thing :). Works really nice though i didnt have a hygrometer and i found out the place i was using to dry in my apartment was indeed the best place to use haha.

No but really i am gonna start curing here in a week or so using this valuable tool :smoke:.

i didnt see this answered yet (maybe i missed it =x!)

i was just wondering what is the battery life on these things? and can you turn them off? cause i dont see an on/off switch haha.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
i was just wondering what is the battery life on these things? and can you turn them off? cause i dont see an on/off switch haha.

The only way to turn the unit off is to pull out its battery tray. I find that the batteries last a few years.

Simon

DankSide

interestingly, I tested this on some stuff that had been curing for a couple months. I tried to do as slow a cure as possible, so I had them in open jars a day early. The buds remain super sticky and mold-free, but I fear that a bit of resin was lost to the glass sides of the jars due to the buds being too wet. It went up to 70% RH on a jar just filled with a few popcorns.

localhero

Great thread Simon. This needs a sticky.

I'm just finishing up building my dry room. 5x9 room with an ac and humidifier. Got the meters 2 days ago. Just about ready to do this right this time lol. OK. Time to get some facts straight.

1st - de-leaf, trim.
2nd - cut and hang buds
3rd - set ac to as low as it will go, set humidifier to 70%
4th - wait until stems almost snap
5th - cut buds off stems and jar
6th - toss hygrometers in jars, check to make sure in 55% - 65% range
7th - anything showing higher than 65% gets taken out on silk screens to dry longer

Does this look about right? Anything you would like to add or subtract or tweak? Would love the advice, I royaly fucked my last cure and lost too much to mold.

Cannatruther

Great tip Simon. Lost 2 oz. of tops I was saving from my last harvest to mold. sucks for me. Hoping these will ensure it doesn't happen again.

Directrix

why do my leaves smell so much better than the buds after just letting them completely dry out?

I can't tell if I'm putting the buds in too early or late.. They were a little dry on the outside but then once I put them in the jars the outsides got soft again and started to smell a little wet, I don't know exactly how to describe it.

Deadly Fear

I've got 3 strains of plants I'm harvesting in the next 2 weeks. I am placing them all in seperate jars to cure. I am cheap and do not know much about hygrometers. Can I use one hygrometer for all three jars? How long does the hygrometer need to be in the jar before it gets an accurate reading?

I'd ideally like to buy one and use it for all three. Is this possible? If so I'll buy one today. Thanks for the info!

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
why do my leaves smell so much better than the buds after just letting them completely dry out?

I can't tell if I'm putting the buds in too early or late.. They were a little dry on the outside but then once I put them in the jars the outsides got soft again and started to smell a little wet, I don't know exactly how to describe it.

It sounds like the flowers are still too wet. What RH are you reading after the product gets moist in the jars?

Simon

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
What is the ideal density of buds in the jar? should there be any empty airspace?

I usually leave a little empty space, when first putting the product into jars. Once the RH is stabilized in the curing range, I fill the jars all the way.

Simon

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Can I use one hygrometer for all three jars?

Yes, just make sure the product isn't too wet.

How long does the hygrometer need to be in the jar before it gets an accurate reading?

Depends on the state of the flowers. A too wet reading can sometimes be seen with hours. Otherwise, ~24 hours for a stable reading. I've discussed this in detail in other parts of the thread. Good luck.

Simon

Deadly Fear

Simon I just ordered one off of Amazon. What would be the best way to get the best readings on all 3 jars? Should I place it in one jar one night, another the second, night, etc?

rrog

Veteran
I had my bud hanging for 5 days at 70%RH and 70F. slow air circulating. Looking good.

Did a final trim yesterday, put into 1/2 gal mason jars with the Caliber IIIs. Was surprised to see 84%RH at 54F. The jars are loose filled, and only 3/4 filled.

I left the jar tops 1/2 covered overnight, and RH is 83% this AM. Still 54F and dark.

It's winter and not too worried about mold, and have tried to bring RH down slowly.

1. Should I continue with the jar top off method and watch until RH is below 70%?

or

2. Should I dig out all that sticky bud (ugh) and place on a sheet to dry openly for a day?

I hate to disturb the bud at this point, but don't want to ruin it.

Thanks,

rrog

Veteran
Side note. This thread is one of those classic threads that really dives deep into the detail of one particular aspect of growing. I love these types of threads, and you don't see them often.

Also, these more rare threads always have a champion. Someone who has really studied the system and shares and is patient with replies.

Thanks for being that someone, Simon.