What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

AKDrifter

This thread really should be a sticky.

Very good information for anyone trying to get it just right.
I have been wrapping up a run myself. I just chopped my last SS AK, and WR a week ago, followed your lead and went with half gallon jars and the lildigis. as Gramps said, easy!! Mine are just stabilizing at around 60%, I have a last jar sitting open for a couple hours but that should do it.
This should be required reading, tacked in place on the back side of Kodiak's grow guide. Somewhere before Budbuddah's ultimate grow cabinet plans, and the kick ass attic build out in the designs section, I would include the world class cloner as well. Great stuff!! I love this board.

Thanks again.

Sickaluph

Hey Simon, thanks for the great thread.

I just finished drying a fresh crop for about 5 days and just threw it in a jar with a hygrometer. It started out at 50% and after about 2 hours it's now at 55%. You said that if it raises more than 1% per hour then it's probably too moist, but you also said that if it is too moist (above 70%) it will get there within a few hours, so I'm a little confused about that.

Also, since it takes about 24 hours to get a decent reading, is there a risk of getting mold during those first 24 hours if the product is indeed too moist still?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I just finished drying a fresh crop for about 5 days and just threw it in a jar with a hygrometer. It started out at 50% and after about 2 hours it's now at 55%. You said that if it raises more than 1% per hour then it's probably too moist, but you also said that if it is too moist (above 70%) it will get there within a few hours, so I'm a little confused about that.

Reaching ~70% within matter of hours typically takes place when the product is jarred very early. When the product gains RH at a rate similar to yours, it's definitely has a little way to go. It's not a problem. I'd suggest watching its RH for the next few hours and emptying the flowers on a rack overnight when their RH reaches 65-70%, or even a little higher if you have the time. If you can't wait that long, leave the jar open with the hygrometer inside and check it in the morning. Touch the flowers, as well, to gauge their moisture.

This is a good opportunity to bring down the RH slowly and guarantee a great cure.

Also, since it takes about 24 hours to get a decent reading, is there a risk of getting mold during those first 24 hours if the product is indeed too moist still?

You're not at the point where you have to monitor the RH for that long. Once you have the RH at a curing point and you don't see it rising relatively quickly, then you'll need at least 24 hours for an accurate reading. HTH

Simon

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Hey Simon, thanks for the great thread.

Good luck man! Please report back on how it works out for you, I'm very interested, as I'm sure many others are. :respect:

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
This thread has been a golden nugget. I was just starting my first cure when I read this.

It's sitting right at 60%.

So easy a caveman could do it. You, sir, are the man! Many thanks.

:smokeit:

Hey SpasticGramps, that looks like some great bud! I've got a request for you... if you can spare it. Can you try this and report back? It's something I'd really like to try and I'm curious how it works with this curing method.

Ok, Hi everyone check it out. Here are the picks of how to smoke a bud like a joint.
Hmmmm. What to smoke from the head stash. How bout back left bottom jar. Double strawberry diesel.

I'm sure some will comment on how it ruins the bud, I know but it's a fun thing to do at a party or barbeque, or if you just have a lot of herb and don't care.
So cool, that was fun and we're relaxing smokin a joint of some outdoor romulan x timewarp(tasty). Thanks for checking in out.

Peace
Ganja D...

Sickaluph

Hmm, the RH actually got stuck at 55% and didn't seem to go any higher. I know this can't be right because the product is definitely still too moist.

I think this is most likely because I tried it with a cheap digital thermometor/hygrometor that I got at Walmart. I just ordered the Caliber III from ebay, so I took it all out of the jars so it can dry some more until the Caliber gets here.

wdcf

Got mine in the mail yesterday, but I am having some difficulty, I had my RH unit in with my jar and it gave me a reading of 78-79 so according to your calculations its still to moist, so I placed my bud outside the jar to dry faster, as I did this I took my RH unit out of the jar, and when I did I noticed the RH unit's percentage going up; and it continued to do so...

Is this normal? I live in sacramento and the RH unit is giving me a reading of the mid 80's, when outside the jar.... So wouldnt it be counter-productive(because the % is lower in the jar) if I kept it outside the jar in the higher %?

EDIT: just used google and came up with this..
Sacramento Relative Humidity (Morning) 85%
Sacramento Relative Humidity (Afternoon) 46%

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Got mine in the mail yesterday, but I am having some difficulty, I had my RH unit in with my jar and it gave me a reading of 78-79 so according to your calculations its still to moist, so I placed my bud outside the jar to dry faster, as I did this I took my RH unit out of the jar, and when I did I noticed the RH unit's percentage going up; and it continued to do so...

Is this normal? I live in sacramento and the RH unit is giving me a reading of the mid 80's, when outside the jar.... So wouldnt it be counter-productive(because the % is lower in the jar) if I kept it outside the jar in the higher %?

EDIT: just used google and came up with this..
Sacramento Relative Humidity (Morning) 85%
Sacramento Relative Humidity (Afternoon) 46%

A relatively wet product kept in a sealed jar, combined with warm-ish ambient temps, can mold. The higher the ambient temp, the wetter the flowers, the greater the risk.

If the product is at 78-79%, it should feel moist to the touch. Does it?

Simon

wdcf

its a bit moist, incredibly sticky, but when I put the bud in my kerr jars for curing this is no condensation visible, which was what I used to judge on if my bud was to moist...

I cure in my garage where the temperature never goes higher then 70

:thank you::thank you::thank you:

I LOVE fun stuff like this. :jump:

I can't wait to get my hygrometer. But now the Caliber III is $18 at Amazon, boo hoo. I shall, barring any major catastrophes, be harvesting my first medical grow, oh maybe any day, or maybe in two weeks..I don't know how fast it'll go. :watchplant:

I am going to do an experiment with one jar, using burping and tasting and one jar using the hygrometer objectively. When the first jar is where I want it via taste tests, I will taste the "simon" way and compare aroma, flavor and potency...and maybe some trichome shots with my camera! I will report.

Simon, I have a couple of questions. How long do you typically cure? And, what one gallon and two gallon jars do you use and where do you get them?

Thanks again,
:tiphat:

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I am going to do an experiment with one jar, using burping and tasting and one jar using the hygrometer objectively. When the first jar is where I want it via taste tests, I will taste the "simon" way and compare aroma, flavor and potency...and maybe some trichome shots with my camera! I will report.

Excellent!

Simon, I have a couple of questions. How long do you typically cure?

If we're talking about personal, about 8 weeks to really gauge the product. This doesn't mean that I don't smoke it beforehand. lol

And, what one gallon and two gallon jars do you use and where do you get them?

1%20gallon%20jar.png

They look just like the pic. I bought the bulk at Walmart and the Dollar Store, but that was a while back. I've actually been eying these at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hockin...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1266650060&sr=8-38

* Clear glass storage jar with airtight metal lid
* Roomy cylindrical shape and wide mouth; large finial for easy opening
* Choose from red, black, and brushed silver lid finishes
* Comes in 1-1/2-, 2-, and 2-1/2-gallon capacities
* Dishwasher-safe; made in the U.S.

Simon

D4sh3y

just purchased one from amazon, ill let you know how the cure goes i got a harvest comin in a couple weeks :cathug:

Dödsknark

Hey again.

I have recieved my meter and harvested a Satori which sits at stable 65%. One Apollo11 g4 is drying and I have no worries that I will fuck this tasty weed up :)

Some of my cures in the past have been better and some have been worse. It actually feels great not having to worry about screwing things up after tending to the plants for months.

Thanks alot for sharing! This really should be a sticky.

rrog

Veteran
Great thread. I'll be doing this as well starting with my harvest this weekend. All for personal use.

I see that the rate of drying (slowly) is a key. Balance of slow cure vs. mold is an issue, maybe.

I'll be hanging fresh cut buds in a 65-70%RH room at 65-70F for 7 days. Small humidifier (Vicks). Slow fan moving air. Then into the jars with the Hygrometers per the plan laid out here.

To slow the rate of drying I assume this just means less time out of the jar (laid out in the open), but just let the jar "burp" daily? Will that work?

Thanks for your helpful and patient replies.

P

PastorJ

Good idea

Good idea

hygrometers_008small.jpg

This method is particularly effective for folks who are starting out, those looking to maximize quality in a shorter period of time, and folks who's like to produce a connoisseur-quality product each and every time with no guesswork involved.

It's a very simple and effective process:

Cut the product, trim it per your preference, but don't dry it until the stems snap. Take it down while the stems still have some flex, but the product feel dry on the outside. This is a perfect opportunity to drop the dry-feeling flowers onto a screen and collect prime-quality kief that would otherwise get lost in the jar.

Jar the product, along with a Caliber III hygrometer. One can be had on Ebay for ~$20. Having tested a number of hygrometers - digital and analog - this model in particular produced consistent, accurate results. Then, watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding mosture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

HTH,
Simon
I do something similar. Good Idea to put the hygrometer in the jar! :thank you::tiphat:

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
To slow the rate of drying I assume this just means less time out of the jar (laid out in the open), but just let the jar "burp" daily? Will that work?

Once the RH inside the jar is stabilized to a desired level, say 65%, you won't have to open the container at all. Perhaps, very infrequently. Assuming the product consists of a combination of smaller and larger colas, the flowers will gain a slight bit of moisture. At the same time, the container will release air - as few are perfectly airtight - maintaining the desired RH and even decreasing it over time.

Simon

rrog

Veteran
Hmmm. So get it to 65% and we're good. OK. You were indicating 55-60% as the target. But I suppose it's all fairly close at that point.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Latest posts