What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

i'll be sure to post my results from trying this... i wish i would have read about this a few weeks earlier because i just harvested!

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
i'll be sure to post my results from trying this... i wish i would have read about this a few weeks earlier because i just harvested!

Please do. I'd be happy to help if you have questions.

I probably wasn't clear enough when I mentioned scaling the methodology for larger harvests. This what I wrote in another thread:

You don't need a hygrometer for every container, just as the hygrometers don't have to remain inside the jars 24/7, especially after the product's RH is relatively stable, or if the flowers are not dry enough. Either situation shows relatively quickly. Or, you could just use a hygrometer in a test jar to determine what the product should feel like at every stage. FWIW, I've used 2 hygrometers to cure +5lbs in 1gal jars.

Unfortunately, I write like an EE and don't always venture above and beyond the basic architecture of the concept. If anyone has specific questions, or would like to discuss this on a more granular level, please feel free to post specifics.

Simon

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
real nice....
i was thinking a long time if i buy a humidore!!! it the perfect box for storing!! and it looks great
may a humidore for storing ciggars are real cool for curing weed also!!!

what do ya mean bros!!!! also its possible to add an electronic controll system for the RH!! it also for ciggars and can be found in every cig online shop for about 100 bucks!! But its def. to big for smaller jars!!
also some products to rais up the RH are for sell!! should work great !!

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
real nice....
i was thinking a long time if i buy a humidore!!! it the perfect box for storing!! and it looks great
may a humidore for storing ciggars are real cool for curing weed also!!!

what do ya mean bros!!!! also its possible to add an electronic controll system for the RH!! it also for ciggars and can be found in every cig online shop for about 100 bucks!! But its def. to big for smaller jars!!
also some products to rais up the RH are for sell!! should work great !!

One thing to keep in mind with products geared for tobacco. Tabacco's prime RH is ~70%, which is a bit higher than what we're looking for.

I'm going to look into the electronic controls. Thanks for the tip.

Simon

Metatron

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Simon, thank you for the awesome info, I hope this gets stickied. My question is and I've always been confused about this, is what is the difference between jar curing and jar storage? Is 55-60% the sweet spot you would always like your flowers to be at?

Also a very reputable collective recommends storing with these:

http://innovagolf.com/boveda.html

The lowest packet they have available is 65%. Would you cure, monitor, and burp until RH is 55-60% then put a boveda packet in for indefinite storage?

Thanks

M-

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
My question is and I've always been confused about this, is what is the difference between jar curing and jar storage?

I'm not sure, to be honest. I can only assume that differentiating between the two points to an alternate curing method.

Is 55-60% the sweet spot you would always like your flowers to be at?

It's a difficult question to answer without examining the individual situation. As you know, the curing process hinges on a very slow extraction of moisture from the stems. As that moisture is released, the product hydrates however minutely over time. Hence, the need to correlate the product's RH with the intended storage period. One also needs to account for the approximate moisture content in the stems. For example, product dried more quickly will maintain higher moisture level in its stems relative to its flower mass. All this has to be taken into account when shooting for an optimum RH.

For smoking ~60% or a hair more is great. In terms on bag appeal, ~65% will deliver a sticky product. Much depends on one's expectations. The flowers will be curing, regardless.

Also a very reputable collective recommends storing with these:

http://innovagolf.com/boveda.html

The lowest packet they have available is 65%. Would you cure, monitor, and burp until RH is 55-60% then put a boveda packet in for indefinite storage?

Assuming the flowers' RH has stabilized - the product was brought down to its intended RH, monitored, jar kept closed for at least a week and checked again - the packet would simply add moisture to the flower mass. You see, the tobacco in the cigars is already cured and enthusiasts are simply looking to maintain the cigars in their optimum state. We, OTOH, are looking to cure the product, itself, and keep it curing, rather than maintaining a static state of cure for a long period of time. Cigars, and Canna, that are too dry can be hydrated with such a packet, but it will have no bearing on the curing process. I hope that made sense.

Simon

harold

interesting, thanks for the info.....

ive used desiccant in the past, hoping when the time was near to puff i could burp the jars to let the moisture back into the bone dry herb (sloppy method, this is growing in mold country though) this seemed to spoil the quality of the bud, aroma, taste wise.

simon, is desiccant a no-no?

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
My pleasure. When is your next harvest?

Simon

I'm right in the middle of it now. Just jarred 7 Blue Dream and
3 Afghan Kush. Chopped 2 more AFK and 1 Purple Buddha Wreck yesterday. And chopping 5 ECSDxNL today. They arrived at
the perfect time!

I noticed the price on amazon goes up and down all the time.
Thanks again!

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice info simon just wondering were you store your jars when curing and after, i have a friend who puts them in his fridge...

Thanks,,,Benji...

Latest posts

Latest posts